News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just bought my 1969 Dodge Charger on Ebay!

Started by zerfetzen, August 06, 2007, 11:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Dodge-Charger-3-spd_W0QQitemZ140145302434QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140145302434#ebayphotohosting

Now I'm just hoping everything goes through ok...payment, working with the seller, shipping it, etc.  Oh I can't wait!!!

Now I just need to figure out the best strategy for bringing it back to life.  I wonder what it would cost to get it media blasted?  Looks like I'll need to get a front fender, grille, and seats...I'm sure the list is endless, eventually a 440, 833, and Dana 60.  I know I said it with my 74 Barracuda with a 440, that it's a keeper, but I got in a bad situation.  But hopefully this time it sticks when I saiy it: this one's a keeper!  I'll try to do it right, but financially it will take me a few years.  If you're experienced with these (because I'm a total amateur), and notice anything good or bad in the pics, please let me know, I'll take all advice seriously.  I'm just hoping the frame rails are all right.  Many thanks, and Mopar on.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

tomdroptop

zerfetzen CONGRATS...good for you. They are getting up there in price & well you spent some $$ for this one but at least you got the car you wanted! Good luck &as you say hope it sticks.. keep us posted

terrible one

That looks like a good project and a pretty solid start, especially looking at the quarter panels. The price isn't that bad either. Obviously it was hit on the drivers side fender, so you're right about maybe needing to check the frame rails, just to make sure everything is right. It doesn't look like it was so bad judging that the bumper and grill support aren't completely thrashed, and neither is the hood or inner fender, so hopefully the fender absorbed most of the impact. There are a lot of quotes and discussion about media blasting in the body and paint section, but depending on if you just want the outside or all of the car done, a few hundred to a thousand has been seen, depending on where you live, etc. Depending on if you can straighten the grill support out you will need to be in the market for one of those too. Furthermore, I'm sure that the front valence is a bit tweaked from the impact as well.

Other things that I see missing first off are:

Some of the vinyl top trim, the check mark pieces
Rear window trim
Inner door handles, window cranks
Upper door pads
Gas tank filler tube
Wiper motor

That's just at a look at the pictures. Not trying to nitpick the car, just trying to help you out on some of the bigger things to acquire. Good luck with it!

zerfetzen

Hi Terrible One,
Thanks for the good insights.  I'm sure you're right about everything and would much rather see something the way it is.  You got me on the front damage though, I didn't see it, and just thought someone took the grille and fender for their own project or to fix their own wreck.  I'm sure I'll see soon enough, but can you tell me which picture shows the damage, I'll start looking more closely at them.  Thanks again.

nakita7

69charger2002

WHEW!!! looks like a tough customer. good luck. i know the seller well. some people have had problems with him. mcgahey out of owasso OK.. personally i have had nothing but good dealings with him
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

68charger383

Congrats on the new ride, now you can change your signature from wanted to 1969 charger in the stable
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

gordo1968charger

certainly cheap enough,throw a few thousand at it and bobs your uncle.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

zerfetzen

Thanks all, I"m going to try to find a local media blaster and take my time with trying to do it right from the beginning, even though it will kill me not to drive it.  I'm pretty thrilled, and maybe in a few years I'll see a few of you with her at some shows.   :cheers:

Bob

CONGRATULATIONS. IMO THAT IS A VERY NICE DEAL.

BOB

71ChallengeHer

Congrats. It looks like a good project. I can't wait to see pics of the resto.

GeneralLeeTESH

Here are the service manual specs for the frame. Hope this helps !
-The TESH
The TESH

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

terrible one

Quote from: zerfetzen on August 06, 2007, 01:34:34 PM
Hi Terrible One,
Thanks for the good insights.  I'm sure you're right about everything and would much rather see something the way it is.  You got me on the front damage though, I didn't see it, and just thought someone took the grille and fender for their own project or to fix their own wreck.  I'm sure I'll see soon enough, but can you tell me which picture shows the damage, I'll start looking more closely at them.  Thanks again.

Hey man,

Don't consider me an expert or anything, but to me it looks like it was hit in the driver's side front fender, toward the front of the car. On the auction, in pictures 2 and 3 (from the top left, that show the driver's side/front of the car and the front of the car head on) you can see where the front bumper has been bent as if it absorbed impact from that side, and you can also see where the outermost part of the grill frame, toward the driver's side is bent back, with the headlight bucket being bent/partially detached as well. It also looks to me that the hood absorbed some of the impact and was pinched between both fenders, slightly creasing it as you can tell from the photos (passenger side is bent down some). It just looks to me like the car was hit and someone took the totaled and most impacted pieces off (fender that was hit and the shattered grill), maybe in hopes of starting to fix the damage.

zerfetzen

Thanks Tesh,
I'm definitely printing that and I'll order the service manual soon.  I think tweaking the front cage might be beyond me, so if it's necessary I'll save up and take it to everythingmuscle.com, which is very close to me.  Very good to know the specs, I'll measure it first thing! Thanks again.

hemi68charger

That's one rare steering column........

Seriously, good luck with the project. Being a regular here is for first move towards a positive direction with the Charger.... Love the color.. T5 Copper?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

zerfetzen

Well consider that done, then :)  I'm now a regular.   :2thumbs:  I asked him for a picture of the fender tag because I can't wait, and like you, want to know what the original color is.  He said it's a bronze-brown, the color on the back.  Is that T5 Copper?

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Chatt69chgr

Well, you certainly have your work cut out for you.  I would try to get the car in some form of stable environment so no further rusting takes place and try to do a complete inventory of what parts you will need.  I would concentrate on the hard to find stuff first.  Fortunately, I hear that new fenders are going to be offered in the next few months.  What drivetrain do you plan for your car?  Do you plan on upgrading to disc brakes?  You have come to the right place to get info on your car.  There is practically nothing these guys don't know.  Oh, you can get wiper motors (the two speed variety) at the parts stores for about $75 bucks.  And the disc brake master has become available from NAPA in the last two months.  It was virturally unobtainable until then.  We are hoping the booster will make it'a appearance in the next few months.  I also see that someone is repoping the correct disc brake front spindles so you won't have to scour the junkyard for 73-76 A-body spindles.  But you need to spend your time scoring parts.  The media blasting can wait IMHO.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: zerfetzen on August 07, 2007, 12:27:27 PM
He said it's a bronze-brown, the color on the back.  Is that T5 Copper?

At first I thought T7 but then I looked at the underside of the trunklid and yea, it looks like T5. Heres a pic of the T5 on the bottom of my trunklid
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

zerfetzen

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on August 07, 2007, 01:49:06 PM
What drivetrain do you plan for your car?  Do you plan on upgrading to disc brakes?

Thanks for all the good input.  The 440's my favorite motor.  I'd like to try putting one together in my garage this time, but don't think I'll have all the specialty tools.  If I had an experienced buddy nearby like last time, I'd be all for it, so it'll probably be some crate 440.  My favorite trans is the 833.  I can't remember whether the 18 or 23 spline's the good one.  However, I'd like 4th to be that overdrive gear, but think those came in aluminum cases that explode easier, so I'm not sure which 833 I'll put in.  And the rear will be a Dana 60...maybe Mark Williams, Moser, or Strange.  I'm not sure of the rear gear I'll use, but I'll have to figure that out once I know what size tire and trans gears I'll have to work with.

On my last 74 Barracuda, I got introduced to brakes...mainly because the mildly hepped up 440 couldn't produce the vacuum for power brakes.  Avoiding cannisters and things I've heard don't work, I went safety first, and converted to manual brakes.  I think I like them better because I actually feel the road through them.  I got some kind of Baer disc brakes all the way around, which were great, but I had to put 16" tall rims on, and that severely limited my extreme liking for Hoosier's or Mickey Thompson's.

I only mildly know a thing or two, I'm no pro at this.  But hey, I'm all heart.  Expect to see a lot of pics over the next couple years of a 69's transformation  :yesnod:

BigBlockSam

QuoteAvoiding cannisters   

congrats on your charger looks like a solid project. cannisters work and are easy to install. my rod had very little vacuum for the power brakes. then i installed a canister and they stop on a dime now. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

zerfetzen

Thanks a bunch.  I hope yours works well and that what I heard was wrong, but what I heard was that the cannister, electrically-driven right, powers up like a little generator to create the vacuum.  A case where it might not work is when you hit the brakes, let off, and quickly hit them again.  I have no experience trying that, but didn't want to test the theory.  Does that work for you?  Always wanted to know.

BMOTOXSTAR

Finally, a person that did not get the big shaft on a Mopar  on E-Bay.  :2thumbs:
Nice Charger man! :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT