News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger bought on Ebay from McGahey

Started by zerfetzen, September 08, 2007, 05:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger383

QuoteI was also thinking that knowing the price of a rear window and dash cluster would help me negotiate money back, if it goes that way.  Somehow I doubt they make repro dash clusters for 69 chargers.  So that price is probably hard to be fair about, other than finding one on ebay and assuming that price is average.  But they make the rear window, right?  Any idea where or how much?  I'm not having any luck finding a price for that.  Thanks.

Here's a cluster on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Dodge-Charger-Dash-Cluster-Original_W0QQitemZ140154850483QQihZ004QQcategoryZ40017QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cluster on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-69-70-doge-charger-dash-cluster-instrument-panel_W0QQitemZ110167330450QQihZ001QQcategoryZ140720QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Theres a guy who sells the rear window on ebay...not listed right now and I did not catch the price.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

no318

I think rear windows are in the +/- $100 ball park. 

blackcharger

print off some pics, and the auction and have them in your hands to show the seller excatly whay is "missing" you guys are great for helping another member out! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

rav440

Quote from: blackcharger on September 09, 2007, 07:35:10 AM
print off some pics, and the auction and have them in your hands to show the seller excatly whay is "missing" you guys are great for helping another member out! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

2nd that  :cheers:  :cheers: :cheers:

:popcrn:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

zerfetzen

Quote from: ramit on September 08, 2007, 11:26:00 PM
I don't know if anybody else mentioned this yet or not but didn't the guy take the alternator and fan blade off too before you got the car?

Good eye, the reason I didn't mention that is because when I won the auction, I called them and offered that they can pull the dart 318 back out and use it elsewhere if they like, or just leave it, whatever they like.  I told them I'll strip it down to nothing and slowly rebuild it all from scratch.  When he said he left the rear window and panels inside the car for transportation, he also said he left the motor in.  I guess he neglected to mention that he did cherry-pick a part or two.  I didn't mention this because I did tell him he could take the motor if he wanted.

Speaking of, does anybody want to come in CT with a cherry picker and take a 318?  I love 318's, but don't think there's any value in them, and if someone snagged it, it'd just save me the trouble later.  Thought I'd offer.  Cheers.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

zerfetzen

Quote from: bull on September 09, 2007, 01:02:36 AM
This is just my :Twocents: but I probably wouldn't get too worked up over door panels and emblems, the panels are being reproduced and the emblems can be purchased new from your local Dodge dealer. Chances are (by the looks of the car and the sounds of the previous owner) they're shot anyhow. And there's a good chance this guy has piss poor examples of the rest of the parts that are in pretty crappy condition. So basically what he'll try to give you (if he stays in character) and what he'll say came on the car is a scratched up window, a busted up cluster that's missing three gauges, a wadded up chunk of nasty carpet and a Cobra CB with gum and hair stuck to it. So then you have to fight with him over that trying to get the good parts, if they were good to begin with. IMO I would ask for, say, a cash back offer and buy some good parts because this guy ain't going to give you any good parts.

I think this makes the most sense.  I really appreciate the offers to try to go get parts back from this guy, but it's probably best to just get money back.  Thanks again runninhorn and RD!  I'm like that too, and if I can ever help anyone on here out locally around CT, let me know.   :cheers:

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

c5_nc

DAS is terminal service.  They don't guarantee anything in the car, tell you not ship stuff in the car for that reason.  Different owned stations, different drivers, different flatbed driver to your door.  Given the other commends on the saler they probably pulled the stuff.  That bing said it looks like you have a decent project.  The carpet that is missing is not molded, just $10 worth of flat carpet you won't use.  The door panels are driver at best, probably not something you would reuse for a restoration.  There are not parts you need off them to assemble like the GM ones.  I still agree they should be there, its just nothing much to sweet. The cluster and glass is though.  Best of luck to you.

pettybird

good luck, and restore the car to its factory color/interior.  bronze over white?  hard to beat...  I'd probably swap out the factory tan top for white, too.

gauge clusters at shows are starting to go for $250+, with no tach (as shown.)  windows are $100ish, cb (would you really use it?) b&m shifter $40 swap meet find but you're not going to use it anyway, carpet was junk, driver quality door panel set with the damn speaker holes is $40, alternator $40 (same as big block, and it was reman,) $40 for the slot mag on the driver rear in the picture...

figure you need back $550 in value. 

ok so i'm bored and not ready for sleep:

B41 is disc brakes. 
B51 is power brakes.
S77 is power steering.  none of them are standard on base Chargers in '69.  brake codes would be on a Hamtramck plant (B code) plant tag, power steering is not.

C55 G15 M21 M31 R11 V1T
T5 C6W W1 B04 106516
E44 D12 XP29 F9B 197456

C55 bucket seats
G15 tinted windshield only
M21 drip trough moldings (mandatory with vinyl top)
M31 beltline moldings (the 1" wide silver door top trim) standard Charger
R11 AM radio
V1T tan vinyl top
T5 turbine bronze metallic
C6W premium bucket seats, white
W1 white upper door frame (UDF) color--white door panels (tops,) white painted doors, white headliner, armrests, door lock buttons, etc.
B04 Nov 4 1968 build date
106516 sequence number at hamtramck plant
E44 318 2bbl
D12 3 speed manual, light duty
xp etc etc etc car

it's a damn cool car, especially if you're going to update the powertrain.  if you're a couple years out, I'd really suggest swapping a new 5.7 hemi in it over the 440...  they'll be dirt cheap and everywhere in boneyards by then.

terrible one

About getting the trunk open. . .

If you shine a flashlight through the hole where the lock cylinder used to be, you'll see the spot that it goes into on the trunk latch is perfect for a flathead screwdriver. Just stick a flathead in there and get it into the spot on the trunk latch, and turn it just like you would a key. Presto! The trunk will pop open.

zerfetzen

Hi all,
Sorry for the delay, I´ve been on vacation since 9/11 and am coming home on Monday.  A good neighbor is watching our place, and more to the point, receiving packages from McGahey.  I emailed McGahey, thinking it may be more verifiable, just in case.  He responded well, saying sorry that his wife forgot to put the items in the car, and that they will ship them pronto.  Of course I wonder why the dash was ever taken out in the first place, but ok, let´s see what arrives.  I know the first package arrived, which was supposed to be everything but the rear window, which should be the second package.  He emailed later and said sorry, the cb won´t be there because it was stolen the day of the auction, and he´ll put in some charger arm rests to make up for it.

Needless to say, for two weeks I´ve been very anxious to get home and check out the parts, as well as start the project.

Thanks c5nc, you´re right on the money.
Thanks pettybird for decoding, and letting me know some goodies, like it is not power steering or brakes, I actually prefer it this way.  I´ve actually been thinking lately of restoring it to T5, but am pretty sure it will not see a white interior.  Thanks for the enthusiasm, I´m a very happy, proud owner, and I´m sure I´ll enjoy learning on this forum.

...and Terrible One, I´m just itchin´to get home and get that trunk open :2thumbs:

blackcharger

ah, what would we do if we didn't have wives to blame things on................
looks like you've got a decent project there. just don't get overwhelmed (you will, been there done that) just pick an area, do that, move on. it'll take a while, but before you know it you'll be posting on here that the car moved out of the gare under it's own power. keep us updated with plenty of pics.

Lord Warlock

replace that tan top, we need more examples on the road.  We are the red headed stepchildren of vinyl tops.  Most of what else is missing seems to be readily replacable at a cost.  The cluster and the back window i'd want to get as a minimum, the rest you can pick up through outside sources.  To see the overall condition, it isn't surprising to need those parts.  If you're lucky someone might donate a part or two, i gave away a perfectly good cluster i had to someone needing one, the cluster was the one that matched the miles on the current motor (69k) but was dirtier and more faded than the original i kept.  20+ years of laying around in the attic was enough.  Little did i know then that i'd build a garage with extra storage a few years down the road.  I wish old wheels didn't eat up som much space,  the old magnum500s will probably never get used, as i'll prob opt for 17s instead. 

Good luck, looks like a long term project but definitely has potential.  Looked like someone already tried the doh route with the flag markings on the roof. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

1carcrazyguy

Quote from: zerfetzen on September 08, 2007, 05:51:10 AM

I'll post pics later today, but wanted to give an inventory of what was missing, but pictured:

Rear Window
Entire Dash Cluster
Door Panels, Left and Right
Rear Inner Panels
Charger Emblems on Sail Panels
Cobra CB
Carpet

Did you pull the alternator and flip top gas cap or are those missing as well?? :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

:flame: This McGayhey was suppose to sell me a Fender, Suposably high bidder backed out or he wasn't selling to high bidder. Suspicious I e-mail high bidder to ask if he was buying or backed out. He said he was buying & did not back out & allready sent the Money. SO, In a nutshell the guy was trying to scam me, :flame:  Was going to collect money from high bidder & send Fender but then try to sell me same Fender he did not have because already sold.  :icon_smile_dissapprove: Luckily I never sent the Big $$$ bucks, Looks like he would have scammed me. Be Careful I say. LEON.

zerfetzen

Quote from: 1carcrazyguy on September 22, 2007, 10:38:35 PM
Did you pull the alternator and flip top gas cap or are those missing as well?? :shruggy:

Thanks for noticing details.  That's all good.  The flip top gas cap is in the car, and the alternator was fair game, because I told him on the phone that he could pull the motor for something else if he wanted to, which would only save me the trouble since I'm replacing it later in the restoration with a 440.  And the offer still stands for anyone...if anyone can come to my place in CT with a cherry-picker and take the 318, it's free to them.

zerfetzen

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 23, 2007, 12:32:51 AM
:flame: This McGayhey was suppose to sell me a Fender, Suposably high bidder backed out or he wasn't selling to high bidder. Suspicious I e-mail high bidder to ask if he was buying or backed out. He said he was buying & did not back out & allready sent the Money. SO, In a nutshell the guy was trying to scam me, :flame:  Was going to collect money from high bidder & send Fender but then try to sell me same Fender he did not have because already sold.  :icon_smile_dissapprove: Luckily I never sent the Big $$$ bucks, Looks like he would have scammed me. Be Careful I say. LEON.

The surprises with this guy never cease.  I'm expecting to get home tomorrow night and find busted parts arrived...no wait, empty boxes.  Sheesh.

Charger_Fan

I like the 'my wife forgot to do it' story...I'm surprised there's not a 'my dog ate it' in there somewhere too. :rotz:
Good luck, I hope your stuff is waiting for you when you get home. :)

Leon, that's pretty lucky for you that this happened & you got suspicious. Being scammed blows! :icon_smile_angry:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

1carcrazyguy

Quote from: zerfetzen on September 23, 2007, 02:33:45 AM

The surprises with this guy never cease.  I'm expecting to get home tomorrow night and find busted parts arrived...no wait, empty boxes.  Sheesh.

Did you ever get your parts from the guy in Oklahoma??

zerfetzen

Quote from: 1carcrazyguy on October 11, 2007, 04:39:45 PM
Did you ever get your parts from the guy in Oklahoma??

Good timing and thanks for checking back.  Yep, I got the last package (rear window) two nights ago.  The only thing left is the title, and he says maybe next week.  Other than that, I've got the car mostly stripped down to its shell.  My stripdown checklist to go is:

Remove windshield
Remove all window regulators
Remove main window glass
Remove/sell engine/trans

That's it, then let the restoration begin!

charge it

I will never deal with Mcgahey  :flame: again.  he is full of excuses till you call him out.   good luck with your car.

Nacho-RT74

well good of this story, you won't to get worried about break the rear glass when removing LOL

yeah right, CB stolen!! and he didn't toll you when you called after the auction end!!!

not sure but isn't that rear seat a 3rd gen one ? specifically 71 ?

I was reading the feedbacks and noticed this one:

Refuse give address or number for payment. Says I am liar! Not honest!!              backdoorpiracy ( 0 )                   Nov-29-06 21:13

Reply by hotcarmomma7 (Nov-30-06 05:59):
      Scammer..Has a fake address, phone number, and name on ebay ID..

Follow-up by backdoorpiracy (Dec-05-06 21:19):
        Told me he not sell car to me since I am black! RACIST LIAR. Real info on ebay!

Nice guy HUH? now understand the confederated flag LOL... is for real stuff and not for a GL fan haha
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

no318

The only thing left is the title, and he says maybe next week. 

NO TITLE YET!  Man don't put anymore $$$ into that one yet.  He still has legal ownership.