News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Hemi Charger R/T Project Car...

Started by bzabodyn, October 04, 2007, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzabodyn

Well, if you followed the crazy post that I originally did, I'm sure you are happy that the car actually materialized... long ass story behind it, so here it goes...

The car was sitting out in a field outside of town in the early 80's after the original owner didn't pay a mechanic shop bill and the owner of the shop threatened to have the car crushed... the shop owner's son then got it towed away from the shop to a nearby field outside of El Campo, TX.  After the car sat out in this field for 4-5 years with the ass end parked under an oak tree, a local Dodge guy offered to store the car for the original owner for a while under he got his situation under control (financial problems, of course).  Well, instead the owner of the car left town around 1989 after an ordeal and basically vowed to never come back to EC for anything - and he hasn't broken his promise.  The person holding the car since then has kept it in storage for the last 18 years and kept the condition from basically getting any worse - I can't help but think that he thought/assumed the title would never show up and no one would come for the car.

Well, that's where I come in... I'm in banking and specialize in real estate and in turn deal with attorneys on a regular basis.  Well, one attorney in particular knew I was a car guy and would tell me these stories about this Hemi charger his half-brother had years ago.  About two years ago, I started lurking around for a project car for my father and myself to start working on, and just so happen to mention this to my attorney friend.  He said he thought the car was out in a field somewhere north of town and started giving me names of people his brother associated with, etc (at this time, he mentions the story of how he came out to be the lienholder on the car by paying off some old debts of his brother). So, one day I get lucky and one of the gentlemen he mentioned did some work along with the person storing the car and had a good idea of where it was... well, that was about 9-10 months ago... my wife and I had our first child (7 months old next week!) and searching for/spending money on a project car was just not a priority... then about 3 weeks ago, the interest was sparked again and I went back to my attorney.  He just so happened to go through some old files and finds the title showing him as lienholder and everything else... so I just needed to find the car!

Well, it was easy after then (or so I thought) - I approached the lead from the lead... when I mentioned something about the car to his wife (he wasn't there at the time), she's like "you wanna see it?"  :icon_smile_big: And that's about the time I got back with my attorney and we struck a deal for him to foreclose on his note and repossess the vehicle and then sell it to me via a bill of sale... now the hard part - getting the owner to release the car to me... that's where the story turns - after I approached the owner of the barn storing the car, he asked to see all the paperwork on the transaction and asked for a few days for his attorney to make sure he has no claim to the vehicle or no liability by releasing it to me... he made the mistake of telling me who the attorney was, so I contacted him the next day and he told me he instructed the other gentleman to release the car to me... yippeee!!! no so much... I go back to him the next day and says he has ANOTHER attorney looking at it and wants a few more days... so I, being the patient person I am, give him another couple days... that's where the problems start...

As I told everyone, I was under constant survellience of the barn and the car and last weekend, I go up to the barn to check out the car and then...  :brickwall:  IT WAS GONE!  I went nuts to say the least and immediately contacted him and he refused to give me any whereabouts of the car or any information - simply that if his attorney said it was ok to release the car, he'd release the car... and that I need to quit trespassing on his property and snooping around his barn! shit! So, that's when I got local sheriffs involved on Monday and the process sped up pretty quickly, which resulted in him giving all the whereabouts of the car to the laws and asking them to ask me to give him one day to actually hire an attorney and get them to sign off on the deal... so, in order to resolve the manner in an amicable way, I agreed and finally picked up the car last night... he was very disappointed to let the car go (I guess you grow attached to something after looking after it for 18 yrs), but was very friendly when he released the car to us - he offered money and trades and everything else in an attempt to keep the car, but my father and I weren't interested right now... we really want to get this thing back on the roads of EC (where the car was sold and hasn't really left it's whole life)...

So, that's the crazy story behind getting the car (I'm sure almost every car has one), and here's some of the particulars...

1969 Dodge Charger Hemi R/T
XS29J9B20XXXX
59,XXX original miles - one owner car - Purchase from Red Miller Dodge in El Campo
426 Hemi, 4 speed trans
Red/Black/Black R/T stripe/Black Vinyl Roof
Super Track Pack
Hood Pins
Daytona wing (still researching origin - was told it was purchased from local dealership after initial purchase and installed there)
One partial broadcast sheet (pics below) - but fender tag missing (I'm guessing guy storing it has it - looks freshly unscrewed - will cross that bridge tomorrow with him)

I have an email sent to Galen Govier to see what other info he can get out of this car and would appreciate any info/help - I'd like to remove the broadcast sheet from under the rear seat, but it looks very brittle and I'm afraid to damage it... any advice?

I'm waiting on Galen's advice on what to do with the wing, so if anyone's interested, please let me know and if I decide to sell it maybe we can make a deal... also, any advice on resto shops around the Houston, TX area? I'm most concerned, of course about the body work that needs to be done, but everything in the lower half of the car - trunk floor, floor boards, frame rails, etc in very decent shape and structurally sound... quarter panels, doors, hood all in decent shape also, but the rear of the car is pretty lacking...

Thanks again guys and I look forward to this journey!

Also - just out of sheer curiousity - 1) What is the car worth as it sits? (I've been told between $40-60k, depending on how bad someone wants it - realistic?); 2) What would you estimate resto costs to an "excellent" original condition? (Early quotes have ranged from $50-100k); 3) What is the car worth today in excellent condition?

Thanks!

Brandon

1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

bzabodyn

The70RT

Good deal that you got it. Good luck on the resto. I would say in excellent condition around 100-150? If you did a lot of the work yourself and had it ready or near ready to paint you could restore it for around 15-25.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tan top

thanks for the update/info Brandon :yesnod:  :2thumbs: , looking foward to seeing pictures    :scope: :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bzabodyn

damn cardomain kicking my ass... give me a few more minutes!

Brandon

bzabodyn

70charger_boy

The70RT

You said the trunk is good? With all the water that got in I would replace it since you need quarters, valance & probably a rear crossmember. Are you planning on starting on it soon?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69_500

Just curious but do you have any records of the car having been repainted before its long storage?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Man theres some big holes in the rear half there!  That oak tree really did her in :rotz:

hard to see in the pics...any fender tag?    I wonder if it was really coded for the hood pins as well?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

I live in Houston and I'm having my '68 Hemi Charger R/T worked on right now as a matter of fact.. If you want, PM and we can talk....

Your story sounds very hairy and stressful,  but victory alas.......  Good for you.....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tan top

good pictures  :yesnod:  , .... looking forward to seeing more as & when you progress :cheers: thanks for sharing them  :popcrn: :popcrn: :scope: :scope: ,  looking at the seats , can't see any buttons in the centre of the seats :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bzabodyn

all pics uploaded now...

I don't know anything about it being repainted - but from what i've heard, it sounds like it's original paint... no fender tag (yet) - I'm pretty sure the barn owner has it somewhere and I'm going to have to track it down pretty quickly... if i can't get it, what can I do?

BZ

Just 6T9 CHGR

If you have the broadcast sheet you can get a tag made up.....take soem pics of the sheet.....Im dying to know about the hood pins....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

nh_mopar_fan

BigBlockSam

lotsa work, but a very cool car.  :cheers: good luck with it . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Red Ram

"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

xs29j8Bullitt

Looked for my old pictures tonight... no luck yet!

Here is a picture of my notes on the car from the 1980s...

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

bzabodyn

That's crazy Allen... you must be a hell of a record keeper!

Any tips on getting the broadcast sheet out without ripping it up? That's pretty goofy how it's wrapped behind the coils and then around the corner with the leather of the seat... should I just cut it at the corner edge and just salvage what I can?

BZ

Dodge Don

Seems to me alot of folks owe this guy an apology for doubting him.

You know the post whores who over and over post primarily posts with the  :smilielol: or  :popcrn: as the only content.

Bzabodyn, best of luck with your jewel. Very nice. She'll be the wet dream of most of these tools who doubted you.

bzabodyn

AMEN BROTHER!  :cheers:

Esp. since my father and I are pretty gung-ho on getting the car done within a year - and even though the money is important, doing it right is more important... we'll probably decide in the next week where we're going to get the work done and get the car there ASAP so we don't have to worry about being that much farther towards the back of the line...

hemigeno

Quote from: bzabodyn on October 04, 2007, 09:09:12 PM
Any tips on getting the broadcast sheet out without ripping it up? That's pretty goofy how it's wrapped behind the coils and then around the corner with the leather of the seat... should I just cut it at the corner edge and just salvage what I can?

BZ

Keeping that seatcover installed in "as delivered" condition is not NEARLY as important as trying to salvage that Broadcast Sheet.  I'd cut the hog rings out of the way and pull off the layers of vinyl, foam & burlap to pull the Sheet out from around the coils.  The factory workers laid the Broadcast Sheet face down on top of the coils, then covered it with all the above items - it was not tucked into the coils afterwards.  That's how the sheet got so bound up on your seat, even though I haven't seen it positioned like that one terribly often.

Have you carefully checked above the glove box?  Might be one taped on top of the cardboard, or maybe above the headliner if that's still there (I haven't been able to download all the pictures on my dial-up connection here at the house).

Thanks for posting the pics!

xs29j8Bullitt

That's crazy Allen... you must be a hell of a record keeper!

BZ

Thanks Brandon... lots of records, very little organization... :brickwall:

As for the broadcast sheet, I guess your best bet is to lift the springs and get as much of it as possible out intact.  Later when the seat is taken apart to re-cover, have all of the loose pieces carefully removed & saved.  Then carefully flatten the pieces and paste them onto a heavy stock paper with a glue stick using an undamaged broadcast sheet as a pattern.  Had to do it for the BC sheet in my 69 Hemi RR after a mouse made a nest out of half of it... :flame:

Allen

BB1

Quote from: Dodge Don on October 04, 2007, 09:21:13 PM

You know the post whores who over and over post primarily posts with the :smilielol: or :popcrn: as the only content.

Ooooo nice dig.  :mrt:

Good luck with your project Mr. Bz.
Delete my profile

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: hemigeno on October 04, 2007, 09:34:24 PM

BZ

Keeping that seatcover installed in "as delivered" condition is not NEARLY as important as trying to salvage that Broadcast Sheet.  I'd cut the hog rings out of the way and pull off the layers of vinyl, foam & burlap to pull the Sheet out from around the coils.  The factory workers laid the Broadcast Sheet face down on top of the coils, then covered it with all the above items - it was not tucked into the coils afterwards.  That's how the sheet got so bound up on your seat, even though I haven't seen it positioned like that one terribly often.

Have you carefully checked above the glove box?  Might be one taped on top of the cardboard, or maybe above the headliner if that's still there (I haven't been able to download all the pictures on my dial-up connection here at the house).

Thanks for posting the pics!

Gene's suggestion might be a better approach than mine on second thought...

Allen