News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Hemi Charger R/T Project Car...

Started by bzabodyn, October 04, 2007, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

What an awesome car. Looks to be in better condition than my 68. Should be a straightforward resto.

How did the wing wind up there. Do you know the story to it? Is it a real Daytona wing? Are all the support brackets there?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Alaskan_TA

Take Hemigeno's advice for sure on the broadcast sheet and then...

Look under both bucket seats and in the bucket seat backs for more sheets in addition to the places he mentioned.  ;)

Great score!

Barry

VPFD13

Quote from: gtx6970 on October 05, 2007, 09:28:49 AM
so the one storing said car for 18 years couldn't file a lien on the title for back storage or to get a title or something

That was my first thought.... I sure would have
GO BIG OR GO HOME

To be born free man is an accident, to live as one a responsibility and to die as one an obligation

The70RT

Quote from: VPFD13 on October 06, 2007, 09:14:08 PM
so the one storing said car for 18 years couldn't file a lien on the title for back storage or to get a title or something

So were you the one that let it slip through your fingers?  :slap: If so it looks like you could have charged storage for how ever much you wanted.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger_Fan

Thanks for the cool story & pics on your barn find, BZ! :cheers:
I hope you're able to get the fender tag without much drama. Keep us updated on it's resto, we'll all love to see it's progress, I'm sure. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bzabodyn

Quote from: VPFD13 on October 06, 2007, 09:14:08 PM

Not sure about everywhere else, but in TX when there is a lienholder on the title the storage company/person must notify the lienholder within 10 days in regards to the accruing of storage fees and the terms under which they file would file a lien... and he, of course, didn't take those measures... he really didn't have a right to EVER have the car in his possession, legally, anyways (even though I am glad he did hang on to it for all that time and kept it from getting worse)...

I'm still kicking around where I should get this car resto'd at - any more suggestions? Our original budget was $50-60k, but after talking to a few shops, we might have to stretch the original budget a bit  :shruggy:

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

bzabodyn

as far as the wing is concerned - the storage guy said he remembers it being on there for as long as he's known of the car - but, the person I bought it from said he had no recollection of it (and that was his brother) - he said he might have some old pics of the car from the early 70's that he's going to try to dig up, so we'll see if the wing is in those pics... Also, I'm planning on talking with the owner of the old Dodge dealership that it was purchased from to see if he has any recollection of it (even though he might not remember much - I know he has to be in his late '80's)...

I'll keep you posted...

BZ

The70RT

You mean the storage guy let it set in there all that time and was never paid anything. Luckily the car has anything left on it. He probably could have did an abandoned vehicle claim. I know i would have.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: bzabodyn on October 07, 2007, 03:59:00 PM
as far as the wing is concerned - the storage guy said he remembers it being on there for as long as he's known of the car - but, the person I bought it from said he had no recollection of it (and that was his brother) - he said he might have some old pics of the car from the early 70's that he's going to try to dig up, so we'll see if the wing is in those pics...

BZ

As I have previously said, I have absolutely no recollection of a wing from when I looked at this car... or any sign that it had ever had one.  I have looked for the pictures, but have not yet found them.  I am going to try get a light table or film strip viewer to help me look for the negatives in the 5,000+ that I have from that era...

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

nascarxx29

Ive heard all good things on Jeff restorations in Taylor TX.When I was in Austin..Congrats on your find hemi 69 RT charger sporting the daytona
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69bronzeT5

Yea, congrats on an EXCELLENT FIND!!!!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bzabodyn

Thanks - still just pondering over how much I want to spend on this thing and who I'm going to give my money to... wish I had more time to do some of the things myself and save some $$$, but I definitely don't want it to drag out longer than it should... I need to get this bad boy back on the road!

Brandon

The70RT

I want to get mine back on the road asap too but there is no way I could spend 50-100K I don't think too many of us could  :'(  If you got the cash then hell yeah ...........getter done. :drive:

C_stripes

Quote from: bzabodyn on October 08, 2007, 10:05:09 PM
Thanks - still just pondering over how much I want to spend on this thing and who I'm going to give my money to... wish I had more time to do some of the things myself and save some $$$, but I definitely don't want it to drag out longer than it should... I need to get this bad boy back on the road!

Brandon
But you don't want to do a rush job either. The car is way to nice to HURRY on.   Take your time and find nice parts and good people to do the work.  If you rush it. The quality will be that of a ford resto.  Don't want it to look like a ford job do you??  The better the job, The longer the car will last and the more the value it will hold.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: The70RT on October 08, 2007, 10:10:51 PM
I want to get mine back on the road asap too but there is no way I could spend 50-100K I don't think too many of us could  :'(  If you got the cash then hell yeah ...........getter done. :drive:

Im hear ya man!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bzabodyn

OK - new dilemma - the owner of the barn where the car was stored has approached my dad (again) with offers to trade for/buy the car... of course, he keeps hitting us up with these stories about how big of a mopar fan he is, blah blah blah... he did offer an excellent condition crane to my dad worth probably $75k or so, but he wasn't interested...

As far as cash is concerned - what do you think the going rate for this car is? (taking into consideration he DOES have the fender tag) I really don't think I'm going to sell it right now, but if I did, it would be to him and only him since he has had the car for so long and kinda has an emotional attachment to it...  with all the big numbers I've had thrown at me to resto this thing, it is something I need to take into consideration - so, thoughts?

BZ  :shruggy:

hemi68charger

You still need the fender tag.. Let him know he has first dibs on the car if you sell.. Please keep looking for the tag.. But, if you have the original broadcast sheet,  you can get one made...

I would hang on the car and do a little bit at a tiime. I'm in the same boat with my Hem '68 Charger R/T... I do a little here and a little there.. It's slow, but steady progress................ A bird in hand is worth more than two in a bush.....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

I agree thats a hell of a find,  dont let it go . You will only regret it the rest of your life .
  That hemi car will only keep increasing invalue way better them anything else you could invest in.

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: bzabodyn on October 09, 2007, 10:19:42 AM
OK - new dilemma - the owner of the barn where the car was stored has approached my dad (again) with offers to trade for/buy the car... of course, he keeps hitting us up with these stories about how big of a mopar fan he is, blah blah blah... he did offer an excellent condition crane to my dad worth probably $75k or so, but he wasn't interested...

As far as cash is concerned - what do you think the going rate for this car is? (taking into consideration he DOES have the fender tag) I really don't think I'm going to sell it right now, but if I did, it would be to him and only him since he has had the car for so long and kinda has an emotional attachment to it...  with all the big numbers I've had thrown at me to resto this thing, it is something I need to take into consideration - so, thoughts?

Looks like I have a different perspective on this... I believe the car is worth $50K at this time with the fender tag or a fairly complete brodcast sheet.  Maybe $40K without the tag or complete broadcast sheet.  There has clearly been a downturn in the market, and with this car I would estimate at least $80K-$100K for a turnkey restoration.  If you can get $75K in cash or actual value trade, it sounds worth considering...  Just my opinion based on the pictures... Still, it would be neat to keep the car and have a heck of a story to tell at shows... sometimes the logical way isn't always the one worth taking.

If the car was nicely restored now, my guess on it's value would be $125K-$150K... :shruggy:

:Twocents:

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Troy

Moved so that everyone who hasn't seen these yet can join in... :2thumbs:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

GeneralLeeTESH

WOW-sounds ike the Big CLUE is out ! Just the FACT THAT he wants to buy the car back from you so soon-sounds to me like the guy, who had it stored has attorneys already-maybe ready to put a lean on his place AND SUE him !
You need to get an  attorney involved to PROTECT YOURSELF...also keep track how much YOU COULD C HARGE for storing the car IF SHI&*&& hits the fan !!! ::)
The TESH

The70RT

Quote from: bzabodyn on October 09, 2007, 10:19:42 AM

I guess it depends on what you gave for it too. If you gave a considerable amount for it why contemplate selling now? Say if you gave 75K for it and restored for 75K then you will be in the hole for a few years but also get to drive and show it. If you got it for 25K and you do most of the work and put 30K to restore it then you will be in the money. If you do a lot of the work yourself you would be less likely to want to sell it. In the long run if you did you would make a lot more then because you would have a lot less cash in it. :Twocents:

bzabodyn

you second scenario is more like my situation - got it for under market value, and would be in the money if I sold it today... but, would REALLY be in the money if I could get it back together for $50-75k or so...  right now, it's going to take at least $75k cash to part with the car - there's just too much upside potential (not to mention the gratification of actually getting it back on the road!)

Thanks for everyone's input - I'll keep you posted as to what he says...

Brandon

Troy

Honestly, I'd be real surprised if you can get that car restored for $50-75k if you're paying someone for the work. My guess would be upwards of $100k to do it "correct" enough to get max #1 condition money out of it later. I could be wrong of course (or maybe the "good" shops near me are just really expensive). So, if you're planning on flipping it any way then why do all the work? As stated above, the market is soft right now and who knows what it will be like when you get the car done? It doesn't seem like you have any sentimental value in the car and if you truly want to just "get it on the road" then forgo a perfect restoration and just do a "good" one. You won't/shouldn't put a #1 car on the street if you ever plan on selling it so you can't drive it any way. It certainly would be cool to own a Hemi Charger but if it hasn't been a lifelong dream then you can easily get discouraged with a project of this magnitude. My opinion may not be popular but take the profit now, buy yourself a very nice project/nearly finished car, and save yourself a million headaches and a bunch of money (you won't be tempted to dump $75k into a "plain" R/T).

As for the guy who stored it, I'm sure it would suck to see that car whisked away but it would be even more heartbreaking to see it flipped or stored in poor conditions. If you sell it to anyone right away then make sure he has a reasonable shot at it. He *could* have been the kind of guy who would scavenge parts or sell off the tags but obviously he wasn't. Karma and all that...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

six-tee-nine

I can't imagine selling such a car if I had it in my garage.......

Come on guys it's a Hemi Charger with 3 pedals, if I would'nt know anything about sex I should say the best a man can have in this lifetime :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...