News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stripe r & r

Started by 0X01B8, November 17, 2007, 02:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0X01B8

I'm thinking of changing my stripe from white to black.  Technically speaking, it's a stripe delete car, and I don't imagine a red / black car would have left the factory with a white stripe anyway.  :shruggy:  I like the looks of the car just fine, I'm just considering a black stripe and going with some black steel wheels for a change of pace - moving away from the big wheels and going for a more classic 15" functional look.   :coolgleamA:

Anyway, assuming it's possible, how would you go about removing the decal without ruining the paint?  :scratchchin:  And is removing & installing a new stripe something I should even attempt?  I know absolutely nothing about body work - I'm a mechanical guy.  Thanks!

-john

0X01B8

I guess I'll answer my own question.  For removal, try a Conair Supreme 1500.   ;)  Basically, use your fingernail pick away at the stripe to get it started while heating it up with the blow dryer.  I put it right up close, almost touching the area.  Low setting seemed to work and high just burned my fingers.  Once it's started you can just pull the vinyl away, but you have to keep it warm or it will get brittle and snap.  I found the best way (see pic) is to blow the dryer right at the inside edge as you pull it away, while heating the vinyl that's about ready to come off.  You can only pull about an inch at a time or the vinyl will stretch out too much and snap.  Slow and steady wins the race.

Anybody know a good paint-friendly solvent / whatever to remove the old glue?  I tried some WD40 on a small area and it worked great, but I don't really think that's the way to go.  Thanks.

Troy

3M makes a stripe and adhesive remover that is supposed to work really well.

As for putting the new stripe on, follow the directions. It's just like any other sticker/decal - except it's longer and more obvious if you get it crooked. :P

More info:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/decals.html
http://www.stewartdesign.biz/privacy.php
http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/help.html
http://www.badimagegraphics.com/install/

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

NMike

for the remaining bits of tape, you can also use a special wheel for your drill. it is basically a 6 inch round eraser that chucks into your drill. does not harm the paint at all. i use it at work all the time to remove other dealer stickers and remaining body molding adhesive.

69_500

Nothing really to do with removing the stripe, but you see many Red cars with white stripes on them as well as black cars with white tail stripes. Its not as uncommon as you would think. Actually quite a few with triple combinations of colors such as Red car, white tail stripe, black interior.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

0X01B8

Well my car has been stripe-deleted for a while now.  Thanks for the help guys.   :2thumbs:

The directions that came with the new stripe say the temperature must at least 70 degrees for installation.  We had some 100 year high temp record of like 63 for a couple days last week and I was planning on doing it then, but I happened to get sick and couldn't do it.  Anyway, just how warm does it have to be?  We're not going to hit 70 for a few months around here.  It's a driver not a museum piece so it doesn't have to withstand a microscopic inspection.  I can borrow a kerosene heater and prolly get a portion of the garage reasonably warm.  Thanks.

bill440rt

I would not attempt installing a stripe unless the room temperature is at LEAST 70 degrees. The stripe will be brittle at any temp below that, & will not lay down correctly. You'll risk wrinkles, air bubbles, & in the worst case a torn stripe.
Be patient, don't let this cost you double.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce