News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition question (s)

Started by astat1, December 01, 2007, 04:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astat1

1970 Coronet R/T auto
In isolating my no cranking issue to a probable faulty ignition switch, I first replaced the neutral safety switch (NOS) and then the starter relay (NOS). The car never had any starting issues other than the NSS (had to sometimes start in neutral). I can get the car to crank by jumping the relay but I am not  gettin any spark. I have not yet replaced the ignition switch. I tried another coil. Could this still be an issue with the relay? I am trying to tie this together as its hard to believe I lost my spark and ignition switch at the same time. Any help greatly appreciated.

Nacho-RT74

Check if you are getting 12 volts at ballast blue wire on RUN position
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71_deputy

getting power anywhere else- lights?  if not- check fusable link by starter relay, bulkhead connector too!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

astat1

ACUDANUT

Get a volt/light tester and see if there is power at the coil (with key on).  If so, pull the coil wire from rotor cap and crank it over (with key on) by jumping the starter/relay box and see if you are getting sparks from wire.  If no sparkey, try (test) for power at voltage reg and start over.
Let me know what you find out.

John_Kunkel

If I understand correctly there is no starter activation with the key and no ignition with the key in run while  jumping the starter relay? Do any of the other key controlled functions work? Like radio, heater , turn signals, etc. If not check the main battery power wire at the switch for power.

In any case, I'd look to the bulkhead connector.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.