News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Insulation Behind Headliner **Revised**

Started by john108, December 10, 2007, 06:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

The original insulation had no body and just fell apart from its own weight.  What is the consistency of the replacements that are available?
There are different materials that the suppliers have (Year One, Legendary, etc.).  Any suggestions on which is better.
I have thought about getting padding at a carpet store and cutting it to fit, but it may be heavier??
John

Shakey

Quote from: john108 on December 10, 2007, 06:28:59 PM
The original insulation had no body and just fell apart from its own weight.  What is the consistency of the replacements that are available?
There are different materials that the suppliers have (Year One, Legendary, etc.).  Any suggestions on which is better.
I have thought about getting padding at a carpet store and cutting it to fit, but it may be heavier??
John

When I was contemplating this I too wondered about what else to use.  My main concern was that whatever I did choose to up there, if the glue that lets go after a certain amount of time, the insulation would fall onto the headliner causing it to sag.

I decided to use a spray on sound and heat barrier called Lizard Skin.  I have yet to install my headliner and I am still contemplating whether or not I want to use the insulation available from Year One or not.  I've got a bit of time and will most likely post my decison here with photos when the time is right.

If you look around the site you'll see that I posted some photos about the Lizard Skin and its application as well as the interior assembly process that I started on this past summer.

john108

Shakey - I am not ready either.  I have to do the Vinyl roof before the headliner because of the "Charger" trim on the sail panels.
I am not sure but I think the body of the car should be painted before the vinyl roof, because of the trim that covers the perimeter of the vinyl.
Thank you
John

70 Charger RT

For insulation under my headliner I used 2 sided foil bubble wrap.  I simply cut pieces to fit in between the roof ribs and used 3M Super 99 spray glue on both the underside of the roof AND one side of the insulation.  Waited until both were "tacky" and placed the insulation in place.  I don't think it will ever fall down.  I didn't care too much for originally so this material worked great.  I picked up some at the local building supply store for cheap.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

AKcharger

I used the insulation from Home depot, worked fine. I wedged it under the frame on the sides and it pretty much stayed up on its own especially when I installed the headliner bows.

john108

AKcharger  --  What thickness did you use? 
John

AKcharger

Hi John sorry for the 10 year delay...it was like 16th of an inch

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AKcharger

oldcarnut

I used the double foil sided wrap from Lowe's too and glued it.  Painted it a flat black after so the foil wouldn't show thru

Bronzedodge

I used replaceable air filter material.  This is industrial stuff, without the sticky spray on the downstream side.   No pics, sorry, but it appears to be similar to what is pictured in the Classic Industries catalog.  Used good spray glue, had the windows down and the weatherstrip masked off.  No worries.
Mopar forever!

green69rt

I had bought a head liner insulation pack years ago and just got it out.  Found out is was for the wrong car.  So went looking around and found this at Hobby Lobby in the fabric dept.   Then the glue.   The fabric feels exactly like the stuff that came from the restoration place and I mean exactly.  Same texture, depth, and more than enough to do the whole roof with enough left over for mistakes.  Only draw back is that you have to cut it to size.

Kern Dog

John, you started this restoration 10 years ago ?? Really ??

green69rt

DanielRobert

Guys,
If the insulation you want is light and fluffy, go to a furniture upholstery shop and ask for fiber padding. It's the stuff they wrap cushions with or pad the furniture with. Comes in 27" widths or 54"widths...pretty cheap too. Figure about 4 dollars(wholesale) for a 36 x 54 piece that will glue on. It's a great sound barrier as well as an air barrier.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am