News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

did any chargers come with pistol grips?

Started by Pistolpete, October 09, 2005, 08:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Not that it matters, but the repro console shifter handle is slightly different than the original handle. The bends are slightly different. I compared them at the Topeka show. One of the vendors had one of each.
All of my pistol grip shifter cars have had consoles, but I'm going to build one of my next cars without a console and use the non-console shifter. The shifter stands out so much better without the console. I like the shorter throw of the short shifter.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

ChargerHound69

So I just found one with this D12 option and a 318.  How rare are these cars???

TeeWJay426

They're pretty rare; according to Galen's numbers, 192 XH29 cars, and 82 XP29 cars with 318 3-speeds were built in '70. Desirability may be somewhat subjective, however.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

ChargerHound69

This is a XH29G   1970 Charger.  It has the 318 with the manual shifter on the floor. 

If it is 1 of 192 it should be somewhat desirable,    right?????

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Rocky on October 10, 2005, 05:09:35 AM
Quote from: Troy on October 10, 2005, 12:13:44 AM
Quote from: Stratocharger on October 09, 2005, 08:26:14 PM
Interesting. that's the first wood grain shifter ball I've ever seen... I thought they were all white...

They were white in 68.

Troy

When I decided to go with the 5spd conversion for my 68, I just had to get the pistol grip shifter.   It's just too damn cool.   I love it even if it's not correct.

Switch '70 for '68 and I'm the same.

Charger Aficionado

tipopiola

I realize I'm jumping on this thread a little late, but does everyone agree with the "white-ball in 68" theory?  I've got 2 4-speed 68's and both came with the woodgrain ball.  I already bought a new white ball for the R/T just because I think it will look better since there is nothing else woodgrain in a 68 interior (except possibly the steering wheel), but I believe the wood grain ball was stock in 68'.  Maybe it is just a later build 68' thing, since both of my 68's are pretty late build cars.  Just my thoughts, Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: tipopiola on October 26, 2005, 11:11:36 AM
I realize I'm jumping on this thread a little late, but does everyone agree with the "white-ball in 68" theory? I've got 2 4-speed 68's and both came with the woodgrain ball. I already bought a new white ball for the R/T just because I think it will look better since there is nothing else woodgrain in a 68 interior (except possibly the steering wheel), but I believe the wood grain ball was stock in 68'. Maybe it is just a later build 68' thing, since both of my 68's are pretty late build cars. Just my thoughts, Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:
my '68 ALSO had woodgrain, and it was a pretty original car.

hemigeno

IIRC, I think the woodgrain ball was introduced at the same time as the Hurst shifter (mid '68 model year).

If that's the case, then most likely:
Inland Shifter = white knob
Hurst Shifter = woodgrain knob

Quote from: ChargerHound69 on October 11, 2005, 12:29:11 PM
This is a XH29G 1970 Charger. It has the 318 with the manual shifter on the floor.

If it is 1 of 192 it should be somewhat desirable, right?????

It's easy to do, but you shouldn't confuse desirability with rare.  There are very few /6 Chargers, but they probably wouldn't sell for what a decent 383 car would bring.  Same thing with a 318/3-speed.

I have a soft spot for them, since the first '69 Charger I ever sat in was my cousin's 69 triple green 318 3-on-the-tree daily driver.  Even though it wasn't a Hi-Po car, it was the neatest-looking car around to me.

694spdRT

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on October 26, 2005, 12:16:07 PM
Quote from: tipopiola on October 26, 2005, 11:11:36 AM
I realize I'm jumping on this thread a little late, but does everyone agree with the "white-ball in 68" theory? I've got 2 4-speed 68's and both came with the woodgrain ball. I already bought a new white ball for the R/T just because I think it will look better since there is nothing else woodgrain in a 68 interior (except possibly the steering wheel), but I believe the wood grain ball was stock in 68'. Maybe it is just a later build 68' thing, since both of my 68's are pretty late build cars. Just my thoughts, Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:
my '68 ALSO had woodgrain, and it was a pretty original car.

I didn't say anything earlier but, the console shifter I bought is from a '68 model(the older hurst lettering) and it had a well worn woodgrain shifter knob on it. The inland knobs I have seen are black though, not white.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Pistolpete

wait a minute, I know I'm a rookie here but I'm tryin' to keep up - so you're saying the hurst shifter in my 69 R/T could be factory??

'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

694spdRT

The '69 hurst shifter looks like the one posted...it has a round shaft with woodgrain ball.

The '70 hurst is the pistol grip.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Cool yer pistols there Pete!   ball in 69, pistol in 70
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Pistolpete

No I get, I get ..... I mean the shifter not the grip - Hurst was stock? I thought it was aftermarket?? is there a conversion just for the handle?? Oh please say yes !!!! :icon_smile_tongue:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

hemigeno

Quote from: Pistolpete on October 26, 2005, 08:31:23 PM
No I get, I get ..... I mean the shifter not the grip - Hurst was stock? I thought it was aftermarket?? is there a conversion just for the handle?? Oh please say yes !!!! :icon_smile_tongue:

Pete,

Which handle are you dying to put in your car?   And which style of shifter mechanism do you have (Inland or Hurst, bolt-in handle or slip-in style)?

The Hurst "Competition" shifter mechanism (the part that attaches to your transmission) is factory/stock basically from mid-68 up.   I used a "Competition Plus" shifter on my Hemicar, which is basically the same shifter mechanism that has two holes tapped on the case for bolts to be used as adjustable stops (keeps the shifter forks from going too far while speed shifting... mmmmmm.... speed shifting...   but I digress).

From mid '68 through the end of the '69 model year, the shifter handle had a woodgrain ball knob.   From '70+ the shifter was a pistol grip.   IIRC all of the shifter handles that went with the Hurst shifter mechanisms had the name "Hurst" spelled out on them.   I have forgotten which of the shifter mechanisms had slip-in shifter handles, and which had bolt-in handles, but I'm sure some of the other guys on here can fill you in on that.  

You can put a ball-knob handle or a pistol-grip in a '69 shifter, you just need to get the right one that mates up with the style of shifter mechanism you have.   Whatcha got?

694spdRT

Pistolpete,

A Hurst shifter was available in many cars from the factory. My '77 Trans Am even has one.  :drive:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Charger Aficionado

You could have got a factory HURST shifter in a 2000-2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6 package as a $350 add-on if my memory serves me right on the price... 

Pistolpete

OK..........I have a hurst shifter in the car, I'm assuming it had the little white ball, as it now has an aftermarket "full" grip, I don't know what you mean by bolt in or slip instyle though, I've attached apic if that helps..........sorry.

I HAVE to have the pistol grip handle on my car ....... absolutely in love with the look!

I'll try and post a better pic tonight, All the one's I have right now keep getting returned "file size too big" and I dont know how too reduce them, I'll take a couple of shots tonight on the lower resolution.
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Pistolpete

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself cuz I just started the resto .... but damnit .... u guys just got me all excited ....LOL :icon_smile_tongue:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Shakey

Relax Pete..... You will need a lot of time, money and most of all patience during the resto.   :yesnod:

Hang out here, use the search feature, read a lot of the helpful information and of course don't be afraid to ask questions.

From the looks of the car, it will be some time before you need to worry about a shifter handle.   :icon_smile_big:  Did I say to be patinet yet?

Don't worry, the folks here won't steer you wrong.   :thumbs:

Pistolpete

Hi Shakey,
I know, I know,  ;) but The interior is all out now and we'll be pullin gthe engine this weekend , just thought that if there is anything I need to do to the tranny (set-up?) now's the time - no?
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Pistolpete

Also, my set up (when it was new of course) is exactly like just 6t9 chargers pic at the beginning of this post.
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Shakey

Do you plan on doing a proper restoration or do you want to just piece it back together, patch it up and get it on the road?   Don't take offense to this, it makes a difference.   

If you live where I live, which you do, then you have at least 6 months before this car will see the road.   Unless you plan on driving it in the snow.

Check your PM's

Troy

Hmmmm, now I'm bummed. I did a whole lot of research before getting all of my 4-speed parts and I was sure that 68s had the white ball. So, I dug out my new parts book last night to check and it only lists the woodgrain ball for the Hurst shifters. I really think it looks out of place in a 68 though so I guess I'll be keeping my white one. There is another part number with a poor description so I'll have to check on that to see what it is. All of my pictures and my other research is on another computer right now. I'm not a big fan of pistol grip shifter handles in 68 or 69 cars but that's just my own opinion.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Pistolpete on October 27, 2005, 05:50:48 AM
OK..........I have a hurst shifter in the car, I'm assuming it had the little white ball, as it now has an aftermarket "full" grip, I don't know what you mean by bolt in or slip instyle though, I've attached apic if that helps..........sorry.

I HAVE to have the pistol grip handle on my car ....... absolutely in love with the look!

I'll try and post a better pic tonight, All the one's I have right now keep getting returned "file size too big" and I dont know how too reduce them, I'll take a couple of shots tonight on the lower resolution.

That is a Hurst T-handle "grip"...  I had one with the red button for the line lock until this year.   I'm not a fan of the balls... white or wood or whatever.
I like the pistol grip... especially with the keisler having the short throw.     Folks at car shows like them too.   

As for knowing if it's slip in or bolt on... pull up the top console plate and the lower boot if applicable and see if there's 2 bolts holding the shift handle into the shifter mechanism... they'd be either 5/16 or 3/8 bolts (I forget which right now).     

As for resizing pics... see my post at the bottom of this thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3442.0.html
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.