News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

did any chargers come with pistol grips?

Started by Pistolpete, October 09, 2005, 08:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Below are two pics of my stock setup.  This is the '69 "slip-in" style.  The handle is held in the shifter mechanism by a spring-loaded clip, and you have to use a feeler gauge as a probe to release the clip in order to pull the handle out of the mechanism.  My handle isn't all the way into the shifter mechanism in these pictures.

If it were the "bolt-in" style, the mechanism would hold the handle in place in a similar receiver - but instead of having the springloaded retainer clip, there would be two bolts.  You can see two indentations on the shifter mechanism receiver about where the bolts would be.

Hope this helps!

hemigeno

Quote from: Troy on October 27, 2005, 07:43:45 AM
Hmmmm, now I'm bummed. I did a whole lot of research before getting all of my 4-speed parts and I was sure that 68s had the white ball. So, I dug out my new parts book last night to check and it only lists the woodgrain ball for the Hurst shifters. I really think it looks out of place in a 68 though so I guess I'll be keeping my white one. There is another part number with a poor description so I'll have to check on that to see what it is. All of my pictures and my other research is on another computer right now. I'm not a big fan of pistol grip shifter handles in 68 or 69 cars but that's just my own opinion.

Troy

Troy, have you tried to put the white ball on the end of your Hurst shifter handle?  IIRC there were both coarse thread and fine thread white knobs made, but I think all the Hurst knob-type handles (on Mopar's, anyway) were fine threaded.

Just curious...

tipopiola

I know that the first Hurst white ball I bought from Checker Auto didn't work with the threads of the shifter.  I had to return it and buy the one with the correct threads from Jegs.  I've still got the original brown ones if I ever want to be completely correct with it, but the white looks better with the all black interior and white stripes.  Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

Pistolpete

Cool, I'll check tonight as far as what type it is and let you guys know.

As far as the type of resto, orginally it was gonna be a qucik "restification" to have'er on the road by spring but the thing looks so damn good all around (very little rust except for the trunk pan) even the floors look great! I'm thinking of biting the bullet and doing a more in depth restoration. how in depth I'm not sure (to dip or not to dip, that is the question)

I'm lucky enough that I've got the opportunity to have someone working on it almost full time over the winter (and no this car will never see snow or maybe even rain again if I have anything to say about it.)

Probably gonna send it out to do the body work,so hopefully she goes back together reasonably quickly (famous last words right)

we'll see what happens.

'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

Pistolpete

Ok I've got the "slip in" style as far as I can tell, please see pic.

Is it as simple as disconnecting the current one and buying a pistol grip kit??

Oh, and how hard is it to remove the existing??
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

BrianShaughnessy

It's a slip in.   Yup... you just need a slip-in console pistol grip.

As for disconnecting... yeah,  Geno said it up further.    Get a valve feeler guage set and slip about a .020 or so down inbetween next to the handle.    Might be on the left, could be on the right side... don' t know for sure.   You'll know it when you feel it...   then just pull the handle out.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Pistolpete

Thanks Brian, would the one that Chargeraficionado has for sale in the ebay section work in my case??
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

hemigeno

No, I don't think it will work for you (without changing out your shifter mechanism).   C/A's handle is the bolt-in style.   Normally, there's no holes drilled in a slip-in style.  I honestly don't know if they make repro pistol-grip handles in both styles (bolt-in and slip-in).  You may have to wait for an original handle to pop up for sale if they only make the bolt-in variety.

Tony D'Agostino http://www.tonysparts.com  has a '70 console pistol grip for $395 listed.  I just did a search of his site for "pistol grip" and it popped up.  You'd have to confirm with him that it is the slip-in style though.  Might be just what you're looking for  ???

BrianShaughnessy

Here's the repro from harms auto.   http://www.surprisegarage.com/1970%20B%20console.htm

Somebody mentioned the bends weren't quite like factory IIRCBIFTD.     Whatever... neither is the pistol grip in a '69   :P

Trying not to be  a jerk or anything but I think CA's was "modified"  :P  seeing the 2 different size bolts used.

Pistolpete

awseome, I'm gonna check it ouot today, gotta have the grip baby!!

just as a side note, I gotta say thanks to Troy and all you guys on this site, there hasn't been a question that someone hasn't had the answer to (and been willing to share) and taken the time to explain to a rookie. You guys are the best and thanks again for all your help, I'm sure there will be countless more things I need explained as I get further into this resto!!

:2thumbs:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Dodge Don

Just a thought.....sell the 69 and get a 70 with the pistol grip option  :slap:

694spdRT

Hemigeno,

Isn't it possible to just drill out the slip in mechanism for the bolts? They even have it countersunk for you already. ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

694spdRT

Quote from: Dodge Don on October 28, 2005, 07:20:01 PM

Don,
It is hard to find a '70 with a pistol grip in it anymore. All us '69 guys have already swiped them.  :smilielol:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Pistolpete

Quote from: 694spdRT on October 28, 2005, 08:42:53 PM
Just a thought.....sell the 69 and get a 70 with the pistol grip option   :slap:

ummm.....................no

but i did try to slide in the feeler guage and it didn't work,, was in a hurry though, will try it again tomorrow morning................thanks
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

hemigeno

Quote from: 694spdRT on October 28, 2005, 08:41:27 PM
Hemigeno,

Isn't it possible to just drill out the slip in mechanism for the bolts? They even have it countersunk for you already. ;)

It probably is, although I haven't done it myself.  It's obviously possible to have a slip-in style handle drilled out to fit a bolt-in style mechanism.  My Hemicar had that oddball arrangement when I bought it (wrong shifter mechanism, of course).

I wouldn't want to go drilling around on a shifter mechanism without a spare laying around "just in case".

It's a thought, though!

Charger Aficionado

Can't you purchase the shifting mechanism that has the "Bolt-in" style?  Is that is an easy swap??? 

That one at Harm's doesn't have the hurst logo...  If I don't sell the Hurst one I have I will lower the price to 300 no reserve, and let it ride.

Dodge Don

Quote from: 694spdRT on October 28, 2005, 08:42:53 PM

Don,
It is hard to find a '70 with a pistol grip in it anymore. All us '69 guys have already swiped them.  :smilielol:

Son-of-a- :icon_smile_question:

You're right....hands off the 70 only stuff everyone  ;D

Pistolpete

CRAP, tried it again and still cant get the durn thing to let go, do you slip the guage in between the sifter and the metal seperator piece (spring load clip?) or between the "box casing" and the metal piece, and how far down do you push the gauge - just cant seem to get it to work. (tried both left and right side !?)

do I sound frustrated yet??  :yesnod: :yesnod:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

THE CHARGER PUNK

every 4-spd 70 charger r/t or 500 came with pistol grip shifter a base car did not tho very odd-MATT

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Pistolpete on October 29, 2005, 10:02:19 PM
CRAP, tried it again and still cant get the durn thing to let go, do you slip the guage in between the sifter and the metal seperator piece (spring load clip?) or between the "box casing" and the metal piece, and how far down do you push the gauge - just cant seem to get it to work. (tried both left and right side !?)

do I sound frustrated yet??   :yesnod: :yesnod:

Right against the actual shifter.  You're trying to force the spring clip out away from the shifter handle.  You may need a slightly thinner feeler guage...  IIRC I ended up with .018 perhaps.  Oil it up with something too - liquid wrench type stuff.  And IIRC ya need to get it down there a good inch,  inch and a half.
   I was scratching various body parts trying to figure it out at first also.

694spdRT

:iagree:

You will likely need penetrating oil to free it up as it has probably never been out of the car yet. Mine was acting the same way until I used the WD-40. Keep trying and as you are using the feeler gauge wiggle the shifter a bit as you pull up. Good Luck.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Pistolpete

'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Ghoste

Well, it's been a few days, how'd ya make out?

70daytonaclone

HI does anybody know where to get a stock 69 console shifter? I am looking for a non pistol grip shifter...thanks Stephen

694spdRT

Quote from: 70daytonaclone on January 02, 2006, 07:57:40 AM
HI does anybody know where to get a stock 69 console shifter? I am looking for a non pistol grip shifter...thanks Stephen

You will need to find one used as those are not being reproduced. There are on Ebay all the time or Brewer's or Tony's will likely have one.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/

http://www.tonysparts.com/

I bought one off Ebay and had it rechromed. You can buy the woodgrain shifter know from any of the reproduction vendors or from one of the two listed above.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto