News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash lights issue

Started by 1969chargerrtse, March 16, 2008, 07:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Since I got my Charger the dash lamps didn't work.  I got out the Wiring diagram from www.classiccarwiring.com and found that if I jumped out the brown wire to the black wire on the plug to the switch the dash lit up.  This tells me the "Panel light switch" is open or just not working.  Would you agree and how hard is it to replace?  I think I have seen this part on threads before and people repaired them, telling me they are either not available or very expensive?   Whatch think?  :laugh:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

JimShine

I found a spot on my switch where the lights worked. I had to slowly roll it until I hit that sweet spot. On Lee1, I cleaned the coil. I used a fine abrasive cloth on it (called micromesh) and got it working better. But it still was far from perfect.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: JimShine on March 16, 2008, 07:17:46 PM
I found a spot on my switch where the lights worked. I had to slowly roll it until I hit that sweet spot. On Lee1, I cleaned the coil. I used a fine abrasive cloth on it (called micromesh) and got it working better. But it still was far from perfect.
Well, I had tried rolling and rolling but nothing, so jumping it out makes the lamps work so I would think thats the issue?  Does it come out from the front or behind?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

It screws in from the back to the metal frame of the cluster......since your car is an AC  car, the duct work is in the way....even a non-AC car would have trouble accessing it while the cluster is in the car.

Before I got my NOS switch, I blobbed a bit of solder on the end of the contact wheel to make the lights full bright all the time....I dont see yourself "dimming" the already dim dash lights any time soon.

If you want to turn the dome light on open the door! :nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 17, 2008, 08:01:13 AM
It screws in from the back to the metal frame of the cluster......since your car is an AC  car, the duct work is in the way....even a non-AC car would have trouble accessing it while the cluster is in the car.

Before I got my NOS switch, I blobbed a bit of solder on the end of the contact wheel to make the lights full bright all the time....I dont see yourself "dimming" the already dim dash lights any time soon.

If you want to turn the dome light on open the door! :nana:
Thanks for your advise, but you give me an aweful lot of  :nana: 's 

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Plumcrazy

I sent mine to Performance car graphics.  For something like $8 they cleaned it and got it working like new.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Plumcrazy on March 18, 2008, 07:53:30 PM
I sent mine to Performance car graphics.  For something like $8 they cleaned it and got it working like new.
Oh, cool.  Thanks.

68hemi

There was a article in the October 2007 edition of Mopar Action Magazine, page 62, where they explain how to take the dimmer switch apart and fix the things causing the switch to work inproperly.  Basically, you clean all the contacts and you may need to solder in a jumper wire between coil that the dimmer circuit works on and the switch circuit that the coil end attaches to.  The reason the dimmer sometimes doesn't work is the coil has a poor contact point.  Doing this allows you to turn on the interior lights.  Every since I worked on my switch as shown in the article, it works great.  It didn't work well for the previous 20 years.
     By the way, Mopar Action magazine has great tech articles.  Go to their web site at MoparAction.com to see some. 

Shakey

I sent mine out to be re-chromed and rebuilt.

There is a thread somewhere with some before and after photos.

Dash switches may be the key words when trying to search.

Shakey

1969chargerrtse