News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Headlight Vacuum Reservoir Color Question

Started by B5 Charger, March 31, 2008, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

I know it's black originally but what sheen is it flat, satin or gloss?  This is the little coffee can looking thing under the battery tray that stores the vacuum for the headlight doors.

resq302

satin or semi flat black with a gold cad fitting where then two nipples are.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

B5 Charger

Does anybody have a picture of one I'm restoring mine and need to know I just got it blasted clean???

Chatt69chgr

I painted mine semi-gloss black which is what it appeared to be originally.  The vacuum fitting on mine was gold cad colored but was extremely weathered---it's diecast.  I didn't have much choice except to use my dremel tool with a little round rotary brush to clean it up.  You can't remove it.  I then painted it with gold paint from a Testors modeling kit.  I did carefully remove the mounting strip on the bottom to get the assembly cleaned of rust using a 4 inch wire wheel as well as one of those 3M Skotchbrite paint striping brushes with my electric drill.  Primed the steel stuff before painting.  Then assembled the two pieces.  Whole thing came out looking real nice.

B5 Charger

I masked it up and tried to use my Golden Cad painting system I bought from Eastwoods several years ago on the fitting.  I had never used it before and all but one of the cans had no pressure in it.  Contacted Eastwoods and they told me they only guarantee them for 6-12 months.  I ended up spraying the whole thing with semi-gloss black engine enamel.  I'm not going for a 100 point restoration or anything so it should be fine.  I'll post some pictures after it's dried.

B5 Charger

Here's a pic of the finished can.  Not 100% factory correct but much better than what it was.  I blasted the original screws and replated them with Eastwood's tin-zinc plating setup.  It works good.  Thanks for the help.