News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rebuild suspension in one weekend?

Started by 1968_Charger, April 13, 2008, 10:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

ive got a nice 3 day weekend coming up. would it be possible for me to get the front end tore down and replace all the bushings, ball joints and put a disc brake conversion on my car?  also what kind of special tools am i going to need? t bars are in good shape so i wont be messing with them any more than i have to.  how do i remove the tension from them?

terrible one

If you have everything you need sitting before you, and knew what needed to be done (or were able to come look it up on here) I don't see why you couldn't. The special tools I can think of offhand are the special Chrysler ball joint socket, a press or the special sockets to remove and replace the control arm bushings, and a torque wrench.

Back N Black

Your torsion bars have to be removed to get the lower control arm off. Be careful not to nick the torsion bars because they are junk if you do. The hardest part is installing the lower control arm bushings, you will need a press or take them to a local garage. The upper control bushing can be done with a bench vice and a couple of sockets. You will also need a special socket for the upper ball joints. It can be done in a couple of days no problem.   :2thumbs:

1968_Charger

great info!  also how should i go about relasing the tension from the tbars?

Back N Black

Quote from: 1968_Charger on April 14, 2008, 01:39:29 PM
great info!  also how should i go about releasing the tension from the tbars?

There is a bolt sticking out the bottom of the LCA and it contacts a small arm that will apply and releases tension on the torsion bar .Back it off all the way to release tension.

Back N Black

Found a pic.  Arrow pointing at the bolt.

Cheers

1968_Charger

so once i back it off im good to go with tearing the suspension apart?

Back N Black

Quote from: 1968_Charger on April 14, 2008, 02:05:49 PM
so once i back it off im good to go with tearing the suspension apart?

Yep, you can start tearing her apart.  Here is a good write up on the procedure

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32597.msg355074.html#msg355074

1968_Charger

1968_Charger

ok, i started on my suspension today. everything went smooth thanks to you guys! but then i ran into a big problem. the brake kit i ordered from jegs was messed up. when they machined the spindles they didnt make them right. the bearings they sent wouldnt fit. so what i had to do was take a file to them to get rid of the excess metal. just to let anyone know who was planning on buying the jegs kit. other than that the job has been a breeze so far. ill be tackling the passenger side tomorrow

Dennis K

I am also in the process of rebuilding my front suspension. I don't have a hydraulic press in my garage, so I'm going to have to take my control arms to a shop tomorrow and have the bushings pressed out.  To release the tension on the torsion bars, I had the front end of my car on jack stands under the k-frame, so I put my floor jack under the lower control arm and raised it a little making sure I didn't raise the car off the jack stands, then I took out the lower ball joint bolts and then lowered the floor jack and released the tension on the t-bars. I did it this way because my adjuster bolts were very rusty

1968_Charger

well everything is done and the car is riding and stopping much smoother, i am disappointed a little in the quality of the jegs disc conversion kit though. jegs sent me all new spindles and bearings too.

squeakfinder

Disappointed? So whats not so good about the set up? :popcrn:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

terrible one

Quote from: 1968_Charger on May 05, 2008, 03:15:58 PM
well everything is done and the car is riding and stopping much smoother, i am disappointed a little in the quality of the jegs disc conversion kit though. jegs sent me all new spindles and bearings too.

What's wrong with it quality-wise? Do you mean stopping power? I'll bet that some GOOD brake pads would help you out; I'm thinking the ones that come with the kit probably aren't anything special . . .

1968_Charger

sorry its taken me so long to reply. ive been lurking and not logging in.  :nana:
anyway the kit was nice except for the machining of the bearings and spindles. one of the bearings was too tight and caused it to lock up and destroy the whole spindle assembly. had to basically redo the whole kit again after days of arguing with jegs over getting new parts to replace the ones that were not made right. finally got it taken care of and they work good now. stopping distance is awesome.
i just felt the kit was cheap quality for what i paid for it.

bull

Is this an actual Jegs brand kit or something else?

1968_Charger