News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I THINK I'M GOING TO SELL MY DAYTONA

Started by daytonalo, April 22, 2008, 01:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

still love your car everytime i see it dane    :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Zinc

Quote from: Daytona Guy on April 22, 2008, 11:36:34 PM
Quote from: Zinc on April 22, 2008, 09:29:11 AM
Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on April 22, 2008, 08:29:38 AM
Ok then let see some pics. Your right and my right may have different definitions. For example I wouldn't have used those awful junk quarters...they would need to be redone. Just want to know what else would need to be redone before I put a number on it.
And again - What was the original drivetrain combo?
D

The qtrs have to go! plus there's bondo or putty on that fiberglass nose, in the sun's heat, thats gonna lift, or shift causing problems on the surface, plus if that block of wood is still lanimated under the nose skin, without a layer of polyester filler sandwiched between it, it will cause transfer lines to form on the noses surface once exposed to the sun's heat, plus the cut you made in the sides of the nose, and reglassed, will return as "shadowed" lines and most likely crack, as it ages, fiberglass is very unique in it's properties, and if you violate them, you pay the price down the road, now before you jump on me for stateing this, I used to work for ERA reproductions in Conn. making Cobra kit car bodies for 10 years, and I know the pitfalls to avoid working with fiberglass, so a fair price, knowing what defiencies exsist, and the fact that the plug is a vega plug, not correct in apperance, I would start with $15000, seriously, seeing theres no driveline, no interior, and "some" rework to do, in the real world outside of this forum, that's the starting price of your project, I've seen too many abandoned projects like this over the years, and passed on them, because the rework is usally more time and dollar consuming than buying original or top of the line repros to start with in the beginning, one just has to look at all the kit car projects unfinished out there, the main causes are taking on a project over your head, lack of proper fabricating skills, not having a clue that the project needed a budget from the start, a well as a wallet to supply it, and combine all this with the amount of time needed to complete the project and interest goes down the drain, and before you know it, you want out :Twocents:

Sorry but most of this is bull. This is skeptical theory at best. Body filler bonds better with glass than anything including metal. My nose has body filler on it and it has been in 100+ sun beating down heat and not one flaw after 5 years of ever other day driving for 6 month out of a year.

Blocks of wood laminated underneath can cause shadow lines to bleed through, but that does not mean it will. There are variables that can prevent this and knowing how these noses are made I do not see this to be a problem. These noses are very well made and as well as thick. I have worked with glass for 30 years and your skepticism is a tad bit paranoid.

There is nothing wrong with those quarters and replacing an entire quarter is not always the best way to go.

Theory can be debated and back and forth and goes nowhere. Facts are revealed in reality and in real time. Here is my nose.

And what car do you have?

Dane, regarding wood buried in fiberglass, dose your yellow daytona clone have wooden homemade light buckets, like the red daytona you use to own, just curious?

PocketThunder

Larry, how does the car connect to the cart you have here?  Is it just sitting on dowel pins at factory hole locations in the frame?

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Daytona Guy

QuoteDane, regarding wood buried in fiberglass, dose your yellow Daytona clone have wooden homemade light buckets, like the red Daytona you use to own, just curious?

My red one did not have wood buckets so I am not sure where that came from, and my Yellow one does not either - My Yellow one has my own design glass buckets and aluminum headlight doors (Red Daytona's was glass) but they are completely dif from factory. I do not even need buckets but I have them so that they look good when opened – darkens the cavity. My pivot point is at the top of the headlight door and only opens 4" by a linier actuator (15 lbs).

Daytona Guy

nascarxx29

When I saw it many years ago.It was a X9 Black Charger 500 318 W/ AC with tan interior.Then I saw it in the paper for sale.And mentioned that car. Daytonalo later obtained it .And I supplied various pieces from a Non AC heater box .To Daytona/parking lights headlight bolts etc
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

xs29l8b

Quote from: Daytona Guy on April 22, 2008, 11:36:34 PM
Quote from: Zinc on April 22, 2008, 09:29:11 AM
Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on April 22, 2008, 08:29:38 AM
Ok then let see some pics. Your right and my right may have different definitions. For example I wouldn't have used those awful junk quarters...they would need to be redone. Just want to know what else would need to be redone before I put a number on it.
And again - What was the original drivetrain combo?
Dave

The qtrs have to go! plus there's bondo or putty on that fiberglass nose, in the sun's heat, thats gonna lift, or shift causing problems on the surface, plus if that block of wood is still lanimated under the nose skin, without a layer of polyester filler sandwiched between it, it will cause transfer lines to form on the noses surface once exposed to the sun's heat, plus the cut you made in the sides of the nose, and reglassed, will return as "shadowed" lines and most likely crack, as it ages, fiberglass is very unique in it's properties, and if you violate them, you pay the price down the road, now before you jump on me for stateing this, I used to work for ERA reproductions in Conn. making Cobra kit car bodies for 10 years, and I know the pitfalls to avoid working with fiberglass, so a fair price, knowing what defiencies exsist, and the fact that the plug is a vega plug, not correct in apperance, I would start with $15000, seriously, seeing theres no driveline, no interior, and "some" rework to do, in the real world outside of this forum, that's the starting price of your project, I've seen too many abandoned projects like this over the years, and passed on them, because the rework is usally more time and dollar consuming than buying original or top of the line repros to start with in the beginning, one just has to look at all the kit car projects unfinished out there, the main causes are taking on a project over your head, lack of proper fabricating skills, not having a clue that the project needed a budget from the start, a well as a wallet to supply it, and combine all this with the amount of time needed to complete the project and interest goes down the drain, and before you know it, you want out :Twocents:

Sorry but most of this is bull. This is skeptical theory at best. Body filler bonds better with glass than anything including metal. My nose has body filler on it and it has been in 100+ sun beating down heat and not one flaw after 5 years of ever other day driving for 6 month out of a year.

Blocks of wood laminated underneath can cause shadow lines to bleed through, but that does not mean it will. There are variables that can prevent this and knowing how these noses are made I do not see this to be a problem. These noses are very well made and as well as thick. I have worked with glass for 30 years and your skepticism is a tad bit paranoid.

There is nothing wrong with those quarters and replacing an entire quarter is not always the best way to go.

Theory can be debated and back and forth and goes nowhere. Facts are revealed in reality and in real time. Here is my nose.

And what car do you have?

you have an amazing car sir.

petercharger

with the work he did on the car..i think Larry's car would be great for someone to finish it..I would keep the car Larry and do it later in the year..if not put a value on what you want out of it.. :2thumbs:
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

nakita7

I love your car, seen it on here several times before, looks like good work to me (worked as a Bodyman). I am actively looking for a clone, have a wanted ad running. Is there any way at all you have access to a 318 to throw in it and get it running? I'm serious, can you call me? Dallas @ 250-554-0403 (PACIFIC). Pacific means no 6AM calls from the East Coast (sorry, not sure where you are, had too many early calls). Thanks

BigBlockSam

QuoteI would keep the car Larry and do it later in the year 

:yesnod:  he's right you go through this every boat season
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

xs29l8b

nascarxx29

Yes it has the vega plug .I got it for him.And he had access to my original daytona for more correct info and detail
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

petercharger

so is anyone making an offer on that daytona...it's worth every penny he put in it... :2thumbs:

PocketThunder

Quote from: petercharger on April 25, 2008, 09:47:21 PM
so is anyone making an offer on that daytona...it's worth every penny he put in it... :2thumbs:

If i was flush with cash i would consider it.   I dont care about the numbers or quarter panels or the IQ of the current owner*, i just want a wing car.  (second to a C500 ofcourse)  :icon_smile_big:

-------------------------------------------- Mike D style  :icon_smile_big:

I for-see my generation (except for Danny) not caring about numbers matching or authentic vs clone, I just want a wing car someday, and if its a clone so what?  I'll drive the wheels off it just like i do my C500 (with a hillside hemi).   :icon_smile_big:

Paul
in St. Paul

* that was shot... :2guns:  I will someday have half the fabrication skills of our professional resident Daytona critic.  :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

QuoteI'll drive the wheels off it just like i do my C500 (with a hillside hemi).     

:cheers: :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

PocketThunder

1970 RT/SE

Someone tell me when the soap opera is over.

moparstuart

Quote from: 1970 RT/SE on April 26, 2008, 07:50:24 AM
Someone tell me when the soap opera is over.
never but less drama after boat season
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

petercharger

larry did you end up selling the car...thanks :drool5: :2thumbs: :popcrn:

daytonalo

MANY OF MY FRIENDS WHO DRIVE OTHER MAKES ARE GETTING A KICK OUT OF HOW YOU GUY'S ARE SLAMMING  ME , GUESS I DESERVE IT !! ANYWAY , CAR IS LISTED UNDER CARS FOR SALE , MY # IS 609-315-2640 .

Larry

triple_green

Larry very nice work!!!...wish I had the time/skills to finish it.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

daytonalo

Will sell everything with this car for 25k , just paint and install your engine .609-315-2640

Larry

Aero426

Quote from: daytonalo on May 02, 2008, 12:57:01 PM
Will sell everything with this car for 25k , just paint and install your engine .609-315-2640

Larry

Will you drop the price more if we all sit on our hands another two weeks?     :smilielol:

kab69440

Please God, let me win Mega Millions tomorrow!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."