News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 vs 383 HP

Started by toupee, April 22, 2008, 11:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toupee

Hey all,
Just wondering if one of the engine gurus can tell me what dodge did different in the hi-po version of the 383 to get more horsepower out of it versus the standard 383?

Nacho-RT74

cam, windage tray, HiPo manifold exhaust, 4bbls and double valve spring ( well, spring with dampener )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

69CoronetRT

Depends on the application...A body 383HPs got a dual point distributor too.

There is a difference between the 2 and 4bbl exhaust manifolds but the standard 4bbl and HP used the same manifold. There really isn't such a thing as 'HP' exhaust manifolds. They are either 2 or 4bbl manifolds.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

toupee

Thanks for the responses guys.  I just got a 71 satellite that has a 68 383 HP in it.  According to the previous owner it is completely stock.  As near as I can tell without tearing it apart he is right.  I'd like to bump up the engine a bit, but I don't want to buy anything that is not going to be an improvement over what is there.  I want the car to be driveable so I'm not interested in anything radical.  I was thinking headers first, but am not sure whether to go long tube or shorty. 

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ragin71

I know this is a little late, but I just read your post and thought of something that was not mentioned
concerning the differences between a HP383 and a 2bl383 and that is the compression ratio.
The Hp383 had 10.5-1 and the 2bl had something like 9.2-1. Also you may want to consider having
hardened valve seats installed in the heads as they were not designed to run on todays unleaded fuel

375instroke

The Satellite wouldn't have a 383HP, Magnum, or whatever.  It would be a 383-4V.  It's the same VIN number, but the cam and springs are the same as a 350 horsepower 440 in a C-body.  I started a topic about what 383 came in A-bodies and got lots of info about what 383 came in what car.  Read here:  Is Muscle Machines magazine full of s#!t?