News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Charger brakelight problem

Started by 253862656971, April 27, 2008, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have not stoplights on my 71 charger.  I get turn signals and taillamps but no brake light.  Tested the pedal switch.  It seems fine, making continuity.  There is another pressure switch under the hood on the proportioning block.  I tested that too and it makes continuity when the pedal is pushed.   I hooked 12v directly to the 4 prong plug in the trunk.  It appears I get taillights, left turn, right turn, and backup lamps.  So I'm assuming that the brake light is run through the turn signals. 

So any ideas as to what the problem is?  I've run through everything I can think of for now and made no progress.  Anybody else had similar issues?

71 Charger, 318, manual brakes, dual grounding taillights...
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

Nacho-RT74

do you have power on white wire on turning switch harness down the column when press brakes ?

with hazzards off and turning lights off, white wire is the wire coming from brake pedal switch to feed the brakes using same rear turning wires. Those wires are dark green and brown.

So route is: pink wire ( constant positive )--------pedal switch-----white wire------turning switch------ dark green ( one side ) and brown ( other side ) wires down column----- rear.

when you turn on some side, then that side is cut to blink from flasher instead get the power from brake pedal switch, but the other side is still being feeded from pedal switch.

when you turn on hazzards, both sides are cut from white wire and then the flasher is the new power source, so won't have brakes with hazzard.

of course even with hazzards, white wire will be still being powered from pedal switch when press, but is not anymore the source to lights.

if you don't have power down the colum on white wire, then problem is on wire, pedal switch or pink wire at pedal switch. If you don't have power on pink wire at pedal switch that would mean you don't have either dome light what is on same net... that could it be a fuse blown

If you have power at white wire ( pressing pedal ) down the column but not on dark green and brown wires, then could it be damaged turning switch or harness.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71charger_fan

With mine, the problem was with the four-prong plug in the trunk. I finally cut the wires and got a plug from Radio Shack and replaced the factory plug with that and the problem was solved.

When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

Ok I got it fingered out.  I've got power (on white wire when brakes pused) from the fuse to the switch up the column to the turn signal.  I have power on the bottom right post of the white wire but it doesn't appear that the power is going to the upper post.  When I used a jumper wire, everything functioned as it should.  Should I just solder in a jumper wire for this guy or is there a repair kit out there for it?