News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

daytona

Started by daytonalo, October 13, 2005, 09:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingcars6970

Quote from: wingcars6970 on October 19, 2005, 08:52:39 AM
Welcome to the board daytonalo.You can come and reference off my daytona when you in my area .For help with your replica build up .I used the storm cylinder bracket as its hollow in the center and fits flush to the pivot bracket.And its black and cant be seen. And in time I thought   it would egg out the fiberglass connection point and decided on my own this is what I was going to try.   So to the reference made by charger vert not wanting to add any non factory pieces in the nose .I heard from another friend with a real daytona that was having line up and fitting problems with all factory metal parts that had the headlight doors was below the nose surface.And was recommended by Mike G to do as they have done .Use peel on stick on furniture dot size pads.Which are not found on the factory parts list as well as turn buckles etc mentioned previously.And you do need to have a good wingcar nose core for the mold .My friend had access and used a nos one right out of the box for his daytona nose mold .I wondered if it would have been any different tollerances. From another one that was taken from a clean parts car that was prevoiusly bolted up.As with the daytona when the factory butted up those zbars againist the under side of the nose and things were bolted and pulled in place you do get a slight bulge out effect in my opinion .As in the case of my seen ouch superbird on cars in barns .Wrecked by getting rear ended by a truck driver with only 19'000 original miles on it.Was the donor for all the superbird parts reproduced.As its 2005 were you gonna get a good exceptional unrestored factory painted nose to pull a mold off these days.

1969 Daytona 440 Presently owned
1970 Coronet 500 383 Presently owned
1970 Superbird 440 U 166242
1970 Superbird 440 U 174597
1970 Superbird 440-6 V 179697
1970 Coronet RT 440 U 224126
1968 Road Runner 426 J 134509
1970 Daytona Replica 318 G 178701  

wingcars6970

Quote from: wingcars6970 on October 19, 2005, 08:52:39 AM
Welcome to the board daytonalo.You can come and reference off my daytona when you in my area .For help with your replica build up .I used the storm cylinder bracket as its hollow in the center and fits flush to the pivot bracket.And its black and cant be seen. And in time I thought   it would egg out the fiberglass connection point and decided on my own this is what I was going to try and has worked out fine.   So to the reference made by charger vert not wanting to add any non factory pieces .I heard from another friend with a real daytona that was having line up and fitting problems with all factory metal parts that had the headlight doors was below the nose surface.And was recommended by Mike G to do as they have done .Use peel on stick on furniture dot size pads on the backside of the bucket to shim up the headlight door to the outside nose surface.Which are not found on the factory parts list as well as turn buckles etc mentioned previously.And you do need to have a good wingcar nose core for the mold .My friend had access and used a nos one right out of the box for his daytona nose mold .I wondered if it would have been any different tollerances. From another one that was taken from a clean parts car that was prevoiusly bolted up.As with the daytona when the factory butted up those zbars againist the under side of the nose and things were bolted and pulled in place you do get a slight bulge out effect in my opinion .As in the case of my seen ouch superbird on cars in barns .Wrecked by getting rear ended by a truck driver with only 19'000 original miles on it.Was the donor for all the superbird parts reproduced.As its 2005 were you gonna get a good exceptional unrestored factory painted nose to pull a mold off these days.

1969 Daytona 440 Presently owned
1970 Coronet 500 383 Presently owned
1970 Superbird 440 U 166242
1970 Superbird 440 U 174597
1970 Superbird 440-6 V 179697
1970 Coronet RT 440 U 224126
1968 Road Runner 426 J 134509
1970 Daytona Replica 318 G 178701  

Old Moparz

Here's some pics of the Ted Janek nose, headlight doors & Z brackets I just got. (Although not from Janek, someone bailed on their Daytona project) The finish on it is very nice, but there are scuffs & minor scratches from being handled recently by the person I got it from. I have no other parts from a different company to compare side by side to give an opinion of which is better, but these look very good compared to fiberglass racing parts I've seen. Sorry the photos aren't the greatest of angles, but the parts were picked up last week when we were hammered with all that rain. I would like to get everything out of the garage & lay it out on a sunny day to get more photos.

(I have larger images if you need them emailed, just didn't want to make them too big on here.)

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BigBlockSam

they look good, how do you attach the nose to the z brackets?
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

wingcars6970

You attach by the 2 straight channel bars.The z bracket bolts to there .And the channel bracket uses the holes if you had a front bumber being mounted.The headlight buckets bolt in with special 9/16 skinny head bolts and 1/4 20 coarse shank.Then the z brackets bolt to the tabs around the headlight opening and inside the nose

Old Moparz

Quote from: wingcars6970 on October 19, 2005, 09:06:27 PM
You attach by the 2 straight channel bars.The z bracket bolts to there .And the channel bracket uses the holes if you had a front bumber being mounted.The headlight buckets bolt in with special 9/16 skinny head bolts and 1/4 20 coarse shank.Then the z brackets bolt to the tabs around the headlight opening and inside the nose

Hey Dave,

I'd like to make a trip back down to New Jersey one of these days & see your cars. I know the show season is over, but what NJ shows do you make it to? (Englishtown I'm sure) 'm not anywhere near mounting the nose, but just to be able to see another one & take some pics would be cool. I used to live in NJ & still get to the Paramus area regularly, & sometimes take the family to the shore, so I know my way around. What part of the state are you in? If I recall, are you near Steve (from Moparts) in Atlantic City? I bought his lime '70 Road Runner over the summer.

Bob
               Bob                

BigBlockSam

hey Old Moparz
  let me know if your coming to nj , id like to see wingcars6970 car also. i live in north jersey. hey wingcars6970 i'd like to take some pictures of your cars also. i live in union city . thanks Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Blown70

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 20, 2005, 10:33:01 AM
hey Old Moparz
  let me know if your coming to nj , id like to see wingcars6970 car also. i live in north jersey. hey wingcars6970 i'd like to take some pictures of your cars also. i live in union city . thanks Rene

IN sept I was in Westfield, NJ for a wedding......You all in the east do up the weddings pretty good.... the food was amazing...

Old Moparz

Quote from: Blown70 on October 20, 2005, 10:45:44 AM

IN sept I was in Westfield, NJ for a wedding......You all in the east do up the weddings pretty good.... the food was amazing...

There's good & bad weddings, & I've been to both. One friends from college had his reception at a place called Leonards on Long Island. Both sides of the family had a "few" dollars to spend, & the cocktail hour spread before the actual meal was better than all the other wedding meals I've been to.   :o

There was another friend who had his reception at a VFW post. The party atmosphere was 100 times better than the more expensive one at Leonards, but the food could have been a "little" better. Let's just say if you stopped & picked up some take out Chinese food on the way, you would have eaten better.   :D

hey Old Moparz

Rene,

If Dave is up to it, I'd be glad to stop by your place on the way.

Bob
               Bob                

BigBlockSam

cool, we'll go together  but you can't hold my hand, ok maybe. i'm a cheap date  :icon_smile:

Old Moparz

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 20, 2005, 12:01:41 PM
cool, we'll go together   but you can't hold my hand, ok maybe. i'm a cheap date   :icon_smile:

You know, if Dave starts reading this he won't reply & we'll have Mojo & Vain flying east.
               Bob                

Blown70

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 20, 2005, 11:58:53 AM
Quote from: Blown70 on October 20, 2005, 10:45:44 AM

There's good & bad weddings, & I've been to both. One friends from college had his reception at a place called Leonards on Long Island. Both sides of the family had a "few" dollars to spend, & the cocktail hour spread before the actual meal was better than all the other wedding meals I've been to.   :o

There was another friend who had his reception at a VFW post. The party atmosphere was 100 times better than the more expensive one at Leonards, but the food could have been a "little" better. Let's just say if you stopped & picked up some take out Chinese food on the way, you would have eaten better.   :D

hey Old Moparz

Well I am in the mid west we usually get chicken (fried)   Mashed potatoes, and corn... Buffet style....

I was not expecting the cocktail part then filet for dinner....and a venetian (sp) desert table....WOW

chargervert

Ahhhhh,Dave,Dave,Dave!!!!!Why do you have to start again!!!!! First,If Mike told some one to use a stick on bumper,to help with their adjustment of their cone(which I doubt he did)It was probably because the guy has some parts that are tweaked(maybe from an accident)or he has a mismatched group of parts from more than one vendor! And they can easily be peeled back off! Second the biggest problem with the glass kits that are offered is that they don't offer any durable headlight setup that will function properly! You own a real Daytona,and I cannot figure out how you can argue this point!You are telling someone to use srceen door cylindar hardware,and plastic pivots!!!!!!You know they will not withstand the abuse of normal operation,some people like to drive there cars,and not lock them away,and pull them out every decade,and stare at them,and put them back in the garage like you do Dave!!!!! I am trying to help this gentleman build a Daytona,that he can drive,and enjoy!!!!! I do not want to get into my personal problems with your buddy Ted on this forum!!!!! I tried to make the fiberglass peices function,and the hack job that is required to do so is not anything that I want on my car,especially when steel parts that fit and function are available!!!!!Third,I listened to your buddy tell me how 70 Charger hoods,and fenders vary up to 3/8 of an inch,I have 13 70 Charger hoods,ind seven pairs of fenders,and none of them vary more than1/8 of an inch,and most are within a 16th of an inch!!!!!! Do you think this guy can go out at $300.00 to $600.00 per fender,and buy fenders till one fits,I doubt it Dave! Bob the majority of the parts you got will be ok,I would use steel headlight pivots(these pivots are being actuated by a vacuum canister,and they also have spring tension to assist in lifting the headlight assembly),and I strongly recommend using steel Z bars to correctly support the weight of the assembled nosecone.The wing you got from Dane,will work great,just use steel wing washers,and the correct braces,to carry the weight of the solid wing.If you decide to go with the Vega plug,or get a steel plug from Mike,either of those will prevent cracking around the plug! It's up to you Bob,I have been both routes,I hope my input will help you with a Daytona that will be around for the long run!!!!Good Luck with your project!P.S.I go through this with Dave all the time!!!!!

69_500

I used to enjoy reading all the Daytona and 500 topics on all boards. However lately it seems i'm reading the same threads over and over again. Can we just agree to disagree?

I mean to me the whole option of whose company to use when cloning a Daytona is up to the individual. Its like a sports event. I love the Miami Dolpins, I have friends who like the Indianapolis Colts. We agree to disagree on who the best team to cheer for it. Now lately their team has been better but for the better half of the last century mine was up on their team. We both get along even though we don't agree on the same football team to cheer for. Likewise for car parts. can't we just agree to disagree. Someone likes Ted's parts, someone likes Dayclona's parts, some people don't like either and just make their own. There is enough people buying these parts to keep all parties in business and people don't all want the same thing. Some want what is the cheapest, some what is the best made. Some just want something that looks good.

Old Moparz

Hey 69_500,

I tried to mention that once, but it fell on deaf ears. (Not that I expected anyone to listen to me anyway.)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,2946.0.html
               Bob                

chargervert

I was asked for my input,and I gave it! If it helps you guys out,thats great,if you want to learn the hardway,like I did,then suit yourselfs! Like I said earlier,I know everyones budget is different,and you have to work with what you got! I probably shouldn't give a shit, But I do,and if I have information that can save some one some greif then certainly I will try to help! I got my parts,enough for both wingcars I am building! I intend to drive my wingcars,and I know mine will be around for the long run! If my threads make for unpleasant reading for some people,but save some one some greif,then I think their worth their merit!

BigBlockSam

you know. your last post is  insulting to alot of us that have been customizing cars, trucks, and boats for 30 yrs. anything i build we be around for the long run and i run the shit out of my vehicle, on the street and on the strip. we're not kids . we've learned alittle something over the yrs. i had a room full of  awards for my vehicles.
  yes steel is stronger than fiberglass, we all know that but fiberglass works . when done correctly. so give all this shit a break. we're all friends here. and don't want to keep hearing your feud. Rene

chargervert

This is what you get when you offer help to people,I specifically stated that I didn't want to start a pissin match,and I offered my experiences to the guy who asked!I have been building Mopars for over twenty five years,and I never said anything about you,or your abilities to build cars.I have owned about 150 Mopars,over the years,so your not telling me anything I don't know! If you want  plastic parts on your  wingcar,than thats your perogitive,and I wish you good luck with it! Part of having a forum like this is to share information,and if someone has a bad experience with a vendor,than people who are going to deal with that vendor may want to know. If you or anyone else feels insulted by me trying to help a someone build a durable functioning wingcar,it was just my advise,you can take it or leave it!

hotrod98

Personally, I figure my biggest problem is just going to be able to get the parts to begin with. I've already made calls to the people that I had planned to get parts from and it doesn't look good. I had hoped to get some of the car finished this winter, but that's not going to happen.
The part that I hate is that I had planned to use two different vendors for parts and these vendors don't like someone using the other guy's parts. Makes it a little more complicated. Beginning to think that I should just buy someone else's unfinished project. Anyone know of a daytona or superbird clone project for sale in the mid south area of the U.S.? (Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana)
I don't have the time to drive halfway across the country to look at a car.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

69_500

Hey Pete, the comment wasn't intended to pointed solely at you. It just seems lately that there has been a bit of an argument going on between you and Dave. I understand you two disagree and that is fine. Both of you have a difference of opinions.
I have no problem with either one of your guys views. I know how you sat for years waiting on parts and finally got some from Dayclona. I also have heard of others that didn't have to wait forever to get Ted's parts and were happy with them.
I was just trying to get it back to discussing what parts are good for the cars and not so much of an arguemnt.

wingcars6970

Thanks its ok 69 500 The differences are I defend my friend and longtime parts supplier.As we built many of cars and to date.Were Ive   gotten parts from and had no defects.As you are led to believe that all parts from TX are somehow inferior as dayclona and associates dictate.Though I can present many to this day known cars with fiberglass parts and 0 problems who bought and installed parts in the late 77-78 and early 80-s and to current day .And find that not acceptable .But all this comes from a dayclona orginization and there associates whos sole purpose is to solicit here and pedal his friends Mikes parts. While taking shots at the competetion in TX.I only speak up for my friend and his parts when they are under attack.Im not doing a sales pitch in every thread.Or making negative evaluatations of anyone else who supplys this wing car parts and clone industry .Thats your differences

69_500

I understand what your saying Dave.

We all like different things. I personally haven't ever bought parts from either so I'm on the fence. I have heard good things about both places though. It seems that everyone has their own opinions on everything, and that is fine.

I just like to read positive post on here about what is a good item. If you think something is good promote it, but don't bash someone for choosing to use a different part.

hotrod98

I agree with you almost 100%. The only exception is if you know of a real problem with a certain part, it would be nice to know about it so that someone might be able to look a little closer before buying that part. I think that if there is a problem with a particular product then that vendor just might correct it if he knew that it was being discussed on an open forum. Overall bashing of a vendor is not cool though in any case. Just my 2 cents.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

wingcars6970

Thats fair enough Enough said.Thanks guys

dayclona

Quote from: 69_500 on October 27, 2005, 09:52:04 PM
I understand what your saying Dave.

Well at least someone understands that kaotic boomhower ranting? thought this was done dave? guess not; first and foremost, dave; I'm not "here" to solicit business, as I have "WELL" more than I can handle, why would I "look" for more!as "business" solicits me!, not I to it!...........second, there is NO, I REPEAT, NO "COMPETITION " from teXas, never was, never will be! (g.i.g.o.).......third, dave, and anyone else who thinks that as a vendor, I should kiss ass, or be politicaly correct, and/ or non opinionated,................I don't think so! ...........last, but not least; ....dave, you want to "defend" your friend ,(tedrick) that's  your right, But; remember you can "white wash" it here; but as a vendor I hear of the "disdain" with teXas  from callers daily!.............................................I usally just observe this and other boards, sometimes I have to respond to idiots like dopey dave!...............................so dave let it die! ..............you got a response from me, a "solicited" response! that is what you wanted?

mike g./ DAYCLONA