News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona In Australia! - Chryslers on the Murray 2020

Started by Tim L, May 17, 2008, 01:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: Tim L on May 17, 2008, 08:14:58 PM
Some more photos...

Dang... How many Daytonas are in that pic !!??  Looks like 3 '69 Chargers..........   red one and 2 F6's......????

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

BigBlockSam

hi

great rods . is that a fuel tank salt flat racer in the back left of the yellow rod?
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Zinc

[quote The roof is quite fixable and the we're even debating keeping the original quarters. Minimum bondo we're talking a 1/16 of an inch not a 1/2 an inch..

Cheers to you, if you think you can save whats left of the original sheetmetal, I've seen that car being dragged all around the east coast, and midwest over the years, always for sale, no takers, remember seeing it at the Nationals for around $38K a few years ago, nothing wrong with reboding, or reskinning  it though, it's a big project you have there, good luck!

C_stripes

Quote from: Zinc on May 18, 2008, 07:31:51 PM
[quote The roof is quite fixable and the we're even debating keeping the original quarters. Minimum bondo we're talking a 1/16 of an inch not a 1/2 an inch..

Cheers to you, if you think you can save whats left of the original sheetmetal, I've seen that car being dragged all around the east coast, and midwest over the years, always for sale, no takers, remember seeing it at the Nationals for around $38K a few years ago, nothing wrong with reboding, or reskinning  it though, it's a big project you have there, good luck!

UMMM!!!   Did I just read what I think I did?  There is nothing wrong with re-bodying?  AAAAA!!!   HELL YES THERE IS!!!!  Aside from it being illeagle (fraud). Its just plane wrong. Its turning something into something its not. Its a lie. I could go on.    I would never re-body a car and if I found out I had just bought a car that was. I would be in court!
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

69_500

I would have to agree, to rebody a car is NOT RIGHT in any sense of the wording. Its fraudulent for one, and for another thing even if it wasn't against the law to me it would still be morally wrong.

moparstuart

plus that sheet metal on that car is rust free just dented, since he has a great body guy already. It's great he is  saving all the original metal he can. I aplaude him , so many people take the easy way out and cut and paste 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

notabird

Are you asking about Earnie Pyle from Texas? Wifes name is Pauline ? If so he owned our Daytona and he passed away in 98 or 99.
We were going to Iowa to look at this car but didnt want to get into a bidding war with somebody that was going to be there at the same time.Brent

tan top

Quote from: 69_500 on May 18, 2008, 07:54:27 PM
I would have to agree, to rebody a car is NOT RIGHT in any sense of the wording. Its fraudulent for one, and for another thing even if it wasn't against the law to me it would still be morally wrong.

yep  :yesnod: :iagree: ......... Re -body  :nono: :nono: .......... :RantExplode:   :nono: :nono: ......
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Zinc

Quote from: tan top on May 19, 2008, 04:11:28 AM

yep  :yesnod: :iagree: ......... Re -body  :nono: :nono: .......... :RantExplode:   :nono: :nono: ......

Seems only the "Mopar" crowd has issuses with reboding, or reskinning cars, coachbuilders did it for years repairing cars like Duesenburgs, Rolls Royces, Aurbans, Cords, etc , in todays "kitcar" market, Fireos, Cameros, mustangs, etc are used as donor cars to transform themselves into Lambos, Cobras, etc and the vins are transfered to the "new" car, some "kitcars" require 2 or more donor cars, depending on the chassis, motor/driveline, support systems required, then its just a matter of decideing what VIN you want to use, it's a "gray" line/ area, open to interpertation

hemigeno

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on May 17, 2008, 08:50:17 AM
Here are two pictures that might be your car a long  time ago...

Allen, I know you qualified your comment by stating that it "might be your car"...  However just for clarity's sake (to keep someone from making an incorrect assumption) let me say again:

The Enid, Oklahoma flood Daytona is NOT the same as the Ernie P / David Patik F6 car that is now in Australia.  We've kicked that theory around more than once, and here's the best thread link to see the main reasons why that's the case.

:cheers:

Oh, and rebodying is an ethical question as much for what happens to the car sometimes years after the restoration is completed.  Will the truth of what happened to a car during its restoration (rebody) be relayed to prospective buyers long after the details of the restoration are forgotten by the mainstream Mopar crowd?  What about the second or third subsequent owners - will they faithfully relay what happened to the car during the restoration?  I know it's a situation where caveat emptor prevails, but the temptation is too great for someone down the line to develop a case of selective amnesia and conveniently forget to pass along such an important detail.   

Signing for the title to a car does not also transfer the high moral standards that the previous owner may truly hold.

Quote from: Zinc on May 19, 2008, 11:14:15 AM
Seems only the "Mopar" crowd has issuses with reboding, or reskinning cars

The POTENTIAL for wrongdoing will always put a cloud over the issue of rebodying - which is why the stigma is IMHO properly attached to the word.  Besides, using the rest of the automotive world as a measuring stick against the "Mopar crowd" doesn't impress most of us in that "crowd".  We're already going against the grain being Mopar folks in the first place, so we enjoy being different...  :P

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on May 19, 2008, 11:38:27 AM
Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on May 17, 2008, 08:50:17 AM
Here are two pictures that might be your car a long  time ago...

Allen, I know you qualified your comment by stating that it "might be your car"...  However just for clarity's sake (to keep someone from making an incorrect assumption) let me say again:

The Enid, Oklahoma flood Daytona is NOT the same as the Ernie P / David Patik F6 car that is now in Australia.  We've kicked that theory around more than once, and here's the best thread link to see the main reasons why that's the case.

:cheers:

Oh, and rebodying is an ethical question as much for what happens to the car sometimes years after the restoration is completed.  Will the truth of what happened to a car during its restoration (rebody) be relayed to prospective buyers long after the details of the restoration are forgotten by the mainstream Mopar crowd?  What about the second or third subsequent owners - will they faithfully relay what happened to the car during the restoration?  I know it's a situation where caveat emptor prevails, but the temptation is too great for someone down the line to develop a case of selective amnesia and conveniently forget to pass along such an important detail.   

Signing for the title to a car does not also transfer the high moral standards that the previous owner may truly hold.

Seems only the "Mopar" crowd has issuses with reboding, or reskinning cars

The POTENTIAL for wrongdoing will always put a cloud over the issue of rebodying - which is why the stigma is IMHO properly attached to the word.  Besides, using the rest of the automotive world as a measuring stick against the "Mopar crowd" doesn't impress most of us in that "crowd".  We're already going against the grain being Mopar folks in the first place, so we enjoy being different...  :P

I like to think we have higher standards    :smilielol: :smilielol:

Ghoste

it's a "gray" line/ area, open to interpertation

Maybe to the Duesenburg kit car crowd it's a gray area, but then again, they're almost obligated to use another vin in the first place aren't they? 
I'm sure you would likely see more red than gray if you paid top dollar for a perfect numbers matching Mopar and found out after the fact that it wasn't actually what the owner portrayed it as.

Troy

A "Kit Car" sometimes, but not alwys, has a "donor" vehicle but is NOT represented as a real anything. For example, you can make a Cobra kit car with a Mustang donor but there's no way anyone can or would confuse the end result with an original. In many states a kit car gets its own VIN but the VIN can be reused from the donor car if the major components are transferred. The idea of a donor car is to use a cheap (ie. disposable) car to create something better (usually a representation of a rare and much more valuable car). Again, this is all legal as opposed to what is commonly considered a rebody in Mopar circles. You won't see any sane person yanking VIN numbers off of a Ferarri to put on a Fiero chassis and trying to pass it off as real.

Certain older cars did use coach builders to put a body on their chassis. These were usually one-off or at least very low volume cars. There aren't a lot of parts cars floating around so usually the coach needs to be fabricated/repaired by hand. From a legality standpoint, this is also allowed since the original car is being fixed (not swapping the number over to a nicer one).

Pertaining to this discussion, a rebody means taking a less desirable/less rare/base model car of the same body style and transferring all the identification numbers to it in order to  increase the value of the "investment" without having to do a lot of work. This is clearly illegal in all 50 states (and probably a bunch of countries that I haven't researched yet). What's the point of having a unique identifier if you just swap it around to any vehicle you please?

I'm not sure why our good buddy Mike Goyette (Zinc, dayclona, moparfied, Winga, WingaXbert, etc.) can't figure out the difference but it sure makes a person think.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

Oh, I love the pet kangaroo! It's also cool that you can leave the car as a left hand drive now. That collection is probably a big hit over there (it would be here as well).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemi68charger

Quote from: tan top on May 19, 2008, 04:11:28 AM

Seems only the "Mopar" crowd has issuses with reboding, or reskinning cars, coachbuilders did it for years repairing cars like Duesenburgs, Rolls Royces, Aurbans, Cords, etc , in todays "kitcar" market, Fireos, Cameros, mustangs, etc are used as donor cars to transform themselves into Lambos, Cobras, etc and the vins are transfered to the "new" car, some "kitcars" require 2 or more donor cars, depending on the chassis, motor/driveline, support systems required, then its just a matter of decideing what VIN you want to use, it's a "gray" line/ area, open to interpertation

Not sure if it's only the Mopar crowd.. I'm sure those in the Pontiac-world wouldn't wanna buy a cloned Judge that started life as a GTO or a Tempest,,,,,,,,,,,,. I'm sure if someone had 1 of 1, they would like it if someone "created" a '68 model in '2008.............. Then, there was 2 of 1..............  The ratio is skewed.....   The key to it is someone trying to pass off a cloned car as a legit one..... Period.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: Troy on May 19, 2008, 01:24:35 PM
A "Kit Car" sometimes, but not alwys, has a "donor" vehicle but is NOT represented as a real anything. For example, you can make a Cobra kit car with a Mustang donor but there's no way anyone can or would confuse the end result with an original. In many states a kit car gets its own VIN but the VIN can be reused from the donor car if the major components are transferred. The idea of a donor car is to use a cheap (ie. disposable) car to create something better (usually a representation of a rare and much more valuable car). Again, this is all legal as opposed to what is commonly considered a rebody in Mopar circles. You won't see any sane person yanking VIN numbers off of a Ferarri to put on a Fiero chassis and trying to pass it off as real.

Certain older cars did use coach builders to put a body on their chassis. These were usually one-off or at least very low volume cars. There aren't a lot of parts cars floating around so usually the coach needs to be fabricated/repaired by hand. From a legality standpoint, this is also allowed since the original car is being fixed (not swapping the number over to a nicer one).

Pertaining to this discussion, a rebody means taking a less desirable/less rare/base model car of the same body style and transferring all the identification numbers to it in order to  increase the value of the "investment" without having to do a lot of work. This is clearly illegal in all 50 states (and probably a bunch of countries that I haven't researched yet). What's the point of having a unique identifier if you just swap it around to any vehicle you please?

I'm not sure why our good buddy Mike Goyette (Zinc, dayclona, moparfied, Winga, WingaXbert, etc.) can't figure out the difference but it sure makes a person think.

Troy

wow that clarify's alot , I wondered why most of his posts where so hostile /confrontational

BigBlockSam

Quote'm not sure why our good buddy Mike Goyette (Zinc, dayclona, moparfied, Winga, WingaXbert, etc.) can't figure out the difference but it sure makes a person think. 

me and hotrod where dicussing about................................Zinc.....................we thought he was from dayclona ...............
.........Hi mIKE.   :wave:  ................What are you building these days..........Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

4spdwing

I remember seeing that car at Englishtown a few years ago. Tom
440 4bbl 4spd Superbird  383 Auto Dart GTSport

bigfastjohn

More from Australia I am Tims dad owner of the 34s ,the KB powered 68 Charger and Australias fastest Bellytank   A/BFL  and the Kangaroo I guess.Tim and I are totally  convinced the car is NOT the flood car.  But do believe it is the car pictured in front of the metal fence with the primer patches on it. Having now removed doors .T/lites ,interior ,front clip and eng/trans I am very pleased with the car  8in squ repair @ drivers feet and lowest part of trunk are only floor bits needing attention.Sills even look good,lower patches both sides of rear 1/4s and I think the rest is fixable

hemigeno

Quote from: bigfastjohn on May 20, 2008, 08:09:43 PM
More from Australia I am Tims dad owner of the 34s ,the KB powered 68 Charger and Australias fastest Bellytank   A/BFL  and the Kangaroo I guess.Tim and I are totally  convinced the car is NOT the flood car.  But do believe it is the car pictured in front of the metal fence with the primer patches on it. Having now removed doors .T/lites ,interior ,front clip and eng/trans I am very pleased with the car  8in squ repair @ drivers feet and lowest part of trunk are only floor bits needing attention.Sills even look good,lower patches both sides of rear 1/4s and I think the rest is fixable

Hi John, welcome to the site!

Glad you're pleased with the car's condition up to this point.  The sheer magnitude of the wrinkles that will need to be ironed out has scared away a lot of folks so I'm impressed by your gumption if nothing else.

Thanks for chiming in and keep us posted on the car's progress as you get the chance.

Geno

BigBlockSam

QuoteAustralias fastest Bellytank   

very cool,  :cheers:  i thought thats what that was . do you have a better picture of that?

bigfastjohn

OK report on Aussi Daytona Im impressed this body is great. No rust around back or front windows in fact the front is all green paint.My body man has looked at it and prefers to fix  1/4s than replace them,roof will be metal finished but he needs some new body files with square corners on the teeth and fine 13 tpi  ? Are they available in USA as they seem to be hard to get here at the moment.Timmy my son will post some more photos soon Im not that good on the computer.

moparstuart

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 19, 2008, 02:22:23 PM
Quote'm not sure why our good buddy Mike Goyette (Zinc, dayclona, moparfied, Winga, WingaXbert, etc.) can't figure out the difference but it sure makes a person think. 

me and hotrod where dicussing about................................Zinc.....................we thought he was from dayclona ...............
.........Hi mIKE.   :wave:  ................What are you building these days..........Rene

Rene, Did we have this discussion? I don't remember it. But then again, I've got at least a hundred things going on at once. The house remodel alone is killing me. I haven't worked on the daytona clone once this week. Well, other than to shoot some epoxy on the fenders and hood.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

mikepmcs

Sweet Kangaroo.  Pet huh.  Never would have thought that.

Oh yeah the car(s) are sweet as well.  Welcome to the site. :2thumbs: :cheers:

Sussing is now in my vocabulary too, thanks.

v/r
Mike from Maine
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?