News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68/'69 Grille header restoration; any suggestions?

Started by hemi68charger, June 24, 2008, 07:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
I'm getting my '68 Charger R/T home soon from the paint shop and need to finish off things now to reinstall.. Any pointers on stripping, priming and painting the grille header here? Simple sanding isn't going to cut it....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger-Bodie

I would sandblast it, primer sealer it, and paint it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

six-tee-nine

I'm gonna send mine out wirht some other stuff to get is blasted and powder coated.

Remember this thing is pretty much in sight when you pop the hood, so you better handle it the right way.
As said above is a good option too, but not when you have to paint it with a rattle can (too large) and it will get full of dust. Tha method is only succesful if you have acces to a spray gun and the space to get going with it....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Winged 1

:icon_smile_big:
Go with blasting and powder coat. Going to last the longest and hold up the best..
Eric

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Winged 1 on June 24, 2008, 06:58:50 PM
Go with blasting and powder coat. Going to last the longest and hold up the best..
Eric

Powder coat will be thick and it will look Phony because it will fill the character marks and spot welds etc. Not a good place for powder coating. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: 1hot68 on June 24, 2008, 07:20:26 PM
Eric

Powder coat will be thick and it will look Phony because it will fill the character marks and spot welds etc. Not a good place for powder coating. :Twocents:

I  2nd that. :Twocents:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 24, 2008, 09:24:33 PM
Eric

I 3rd that. I'd blast it and paint it with a spray gun.

Btw, nice Plymouth :D
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Corellian Corvette

I disagree completely. Considering that mine has been blasted and powder coated, and the spot welds and other details pop perfectly, I'm not sure why people think it's some thick molasses.

Good powdercoating will be very thin and will not mask ANY metal imperfections or pits. Since there is no filler, etc. like a primer would have with paint, every detail comes through.

On a nice virgin piece of metal, powdercoating will look FANTASTIC. If you have major dents, scratches, or pitting powdercoating will NOT fill those imperfections in.

However, it's going to look GREAT, won't scratch, won't be susceptible to any oils or grease, and won't allow rust through. I've had most of my major body components (Dash frame, brackets, grille frame, hinges, braces, bumper brackets) powdercoated and they look amazing and are infinitely more durable. It also gets in cracks and areas you could never get with paint.

Take a look at my original A/C Air Cleaner that I had done. This thing was COVERED in grease, oil, 10 layers of paint. It looked TERRIBLE and I was afraid I was going to have to get another one. Tell me this doesn't have the most minute details popping out, including the indentations for the spot welds.

Here is my complete dash frame done. Again, look how much detail you can see, and no paint drips or anything. Also – there is not one ounce of rust on any part – and there is coating up inside the frame and in every nook and cranny.

I had all the parts in that picture blasted and coated. Total cost = $150. Total amount of my time taken = 0min.  ;)

Grab up every piece of metal you have and take it down to your local coater. I highly recommend it.

69*F5*SE

I have to admit.....it does look pretty good and with the right sheen.

runningman

Is that just a satin black?  Looks pretty nice, I have had a few pieces powdercoated as well and have been very happy so far

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 24, 2008, 09:24:33 PM
Eric

I powder coated mine and it looks thin and fantastic.  I did a thread on it before, my brother in law used a powder coat called E coat.  Thin and semi flat, looks original as can be.  I'll locate thread and pics.

FOUND IT!  Check out these pictures, looks great.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35430.0.html
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on June 26, 2008, 11:24:18 PM

I had all the parts in that picture blasted and coated. Total cost = $150. Total amount of my time taken = 0min.  ;)

A continued thanks to all........ $150 for all that? Now, that's definitely worth it... Did you clean all the parts and strip them down first or is that done as part of the powder coating process?

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Finn

:drool5: I'm having my dash powder coated with some other parts but now I'm really thinking about tearing down my grille again to have the frame done.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 07, 2008, 01:39:14 PM
Quote from: Corellian Corvette on June 26, 2008, 11:24:18 PM

A continued thanks to all........ $150 for all that? Now, that's definitely worth it... Did you clean all the parts and strip them down first or is that done as part of the powder coating process?

Cheers,
Troy
I dropped my stuff off at the powder coating shop and he sent them out to be sandblasted and then did his work.  The sandblasting price was just added to the total cost.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Corellian Corvette

Same here. The guy I use also sends the stuff out to be blasted - so it all gets added together. Since I'm using a coating that the guy is running though most of his stuff already, he really doesn't care if he has to throw more stuff in - it only gets more expensive if he has to do a special color and change out the gun. It's all free cash for this guy so I get a good deal.  :icon_smile_big:

Silver R/T

Ive stripped mine, welded up any holes that someone put on there (not factory), filled, primered and painted correct semi gloss black.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Eric

I would also, it will resist abrasion, chemicals, moisture. Cant go wrong with powder coat.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722