News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What diameter Torsion bar?

Started by FLG, July 10, 2008, 06:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Looking for some opinions. I need new torsion bars and wanted some opinions on what diameter bar to go with (73 charger BB). I want something better then stock but not too rough. Debating between HD Street or HD Police bars from FirmFeel. Im in NY so streets are pretty bad around here and im tired of whacking my already bent K-Frame on dips in the road.

Thanks,

Frank

Nacho-RT74

just got 1.06 from them.. mounted and I'm PRETTY HAPPY... got lots better handling and still feels lot streetable like the originals.

IMHO still will need the propper shocks!

I bet Venezuelan streets are even worst than NY
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

FLG

hmm Thanks Nacho..prob will work for me to.

Just using Monroe-matic shocks, think they will be fine??

And from what you have told me...yep your streets are probably much worse

Mike DC

I gotta disagree here.

I wouldn't go that high. 
It'll corner like it's on rails, but it'll be a pretty rough ride compared to stock. 

(I think it was RallyeMike that described the 1.12 torsion bars this way: "About the only cushioning in the front end is the tire sidewall flex.")

0.88 - stock B-body, 6cyl Charger
0.90 - 318/383 Charger
0.92 - Charger R/T 440/Hemi

I swapped in a set of 0.96 bars a few years ago (383 '69 car).  Loved it that way.  They felt little or no stiffer than the stock 0.90's over bumps, but the body roll was definitely reduced. 

If I was doing it again, I probably would get something in the 0.92-0.98 range again.  I wouldn't go higher than about 1.00 at the most.  Street cruisers need a little give.  If the body roll is still THAT bad, then it's time to leave the torsion bars alone and start increasing sway bar sizes.   

(BTW:  The stiffness increase isn't a straight line up the chart, it goes up multiple amounts as the numbers get higher.)

FLG

Thanks mike. Would like to hear some other opinions on this. Not it a huge rush but my front end parts should be here within a week or so and i want to just install everything in one shot. Then i figure when i have more cash and i start building my engine ill get reinforced LCA's and FF's reinforced K-Frame. Also would i see any gain in running there tubular UCA's??

Im leaning twards my original choice of 1.00 bars

Chryco Psycho

the 1.25 bar don`t move only the tire sidewall , 1.12 will not be that stiff

myaerocars

I went with the Firm Feeel 1.06 on my Superbird clone 440 with a/C. Much improved handling without any side effects of a rough ride. Best money I've spent on my car since I built it.  I have a 15/16 front bar with poly bushings on front and no rear bar.   I will add a rear bar sometime soon or step up to a bigger front bar and rear bar at the same time.
Godspeed,
JON

Mike DC

I don't see how you can go from stock 0.92 bars to 1.06 and not feel a difference from stock.  I know other people who've got from stock Charger bars to 1.00+ and they said they could TOTALLY feel it.  I could feel at least a slight difference in the bump effects just going from 0.90 to 0.96 bars.

Maybe the 1.00+ bars aren't a bad ride depending on your viewpoint.  But I don't see how they could possibly qualify as "feels like stock" regardless of whether you love them or hate them. 

(Did you also change the front shocks at the same time as the torsion bars by any chance?  A shock absorber with less compression damping would have made the torsion bars feel softer on bumps.)

FLG

Interesting, Anyone want to give me a ride with the 1.06 bars??  :icon_smile_big:

I wont mind if the ride is a little harsh, but i dont want to be chattering my teeth and again my poor K-Frame needs a break from acting as a skid plate.

:scratchchin:  :popcrn:

RallyeMike

This is a hard one because everyone has their own idea of what a nice ride is, but, if you have crappy, potholed streets, I think you'd actually prefer a performance bar on the soft end (1.00) and use the biggest sway bar around. That should give you enough spring rate to keep the K off the ground, enough give to not rattle your fillings out, and plenty of help with the body roll and general handling feel.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

gordo1968charger

i have 0.96 and a big fat hellwig sway bar and i m happy :2thumbs:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

FLG

Firm feel sells front bars for 73's. Might consider going with a new bar when money permits. Firm feel sells 1 1/4 bars or 1 1/8th, would a 1 1/8th bar be OK with 1.06 torsion bars?

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: gordo1968charger on July 23, 2008, 11:05:17 AM
i have 0.96 and a big fat hellwig sway bar and i m happy :2thumbs:

mine's fatter!    :rofl:     1 3/8" diamiter

As for the question - I have driven a cuda with 1.22" bars and it was not all that hash (IMO) - but opinions vary...    I am running .96" bars with a 1 3/8" swap bar...     if this does not work well I will step up to bigger T-bars
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

gordo1968charger

if i had a 12 inch sausage you d have a 13 inch frying pan :lol:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

hemi-hampton

acelondon

what size bars would you guys use in a 74 charger with a 318/727 setup?

im also putting new leafs on the back. Firm Feel OEM HD's are the current plan!

FI-Charger73SE

Ordered half a year ago 1.06 but firmheel seems to have issues and promised 1,12 faster so take those with their adjustable struts and both front and rear sway bars. K-Frame fully restored and Energy's polyurethane used in every place and full calvert racing caltrack and leaf spring to the rear, both side has adjustable shocks - let's see how it handles. Engine 440 with 8/71 in the future and battery moved to back.  Have you had issues to get orders out form firmfeel, ordered last April or something and still waiting.

Cheers
Cheers
Petri