News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Layson's Restoration Busted at Carlisle by Police!!

Started by TUFCAT, July 12, 2008, 04:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

I just got off the phone with my brother who witnessed as many as 6-7 Carlisle Police come into the fairgrounds to arrest people working at the Layson's booth.  They shut down business and put yellow police tape around to secure the area.  In fact, he also saw Rob Wolf from MCG there who may or may not have been detained by the cops (he didn't know for sure).  :o

After the cops took the Layson's people away, he saw David Hakim from Chrysler Direct Connection (formerly Mopar Performance) talking to the police. I'm sure more will be developing soon as this appears to be a licensing problem.  :eek2:

tan top

not trying to sound a bit  dumb  but a
licensing  problem  ..how in what way  ????   :scratchchin:  .... 

also how come the police swooped at the show & not at their  business address  ??? :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

My guess is they were using the pentastar trademark without getting the proper authorization to be an officially licensed product?  :shruggy:

JimShine

That would do it.

It is amazing to see what people try to get away with at big profile events. I remember doing the Philadelphia Guitar Show (2nd largest in the country) and in the booth next to us was a guy selling bootleg concert videos. He had thousands of them. The police came, arrested the workers (the owner wasn't even there, he was out getting lunch and when he came back, he saw the police and kept going), taped off the booth and within an hour all of the mechandise was reboxed up and carted out to waiting police trucks.

bsakal

the Great American Guitar Show is in King of Prussia this weekend!
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

JimShine

Very cool! I think the one I saw the videos get raided was in King of Prussia at the Expo Center.

moparstuart

Quote from: JimShine on July 12, 2008, 06:25:10 PM
Very cool! I think the one I saw the videos get raided was in King of Prussia at the Expo Center.
wasnt laysons reported on here already of being in finacial trouble?  People prepaying for parts and not getting them ? or taking a long time to get them ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tan top on July 12, 2008, 04:50:47 PM

also how come the police swooped at the show & not at their  business address  ??? :scratchchin:
I am dumb on this subject.  Who or what is Layson? :shruggy: :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 12, 2008, 08:56:23 PM
Quote from: tan top on July 12, 2008, 04:50:47 PM

I am dumb on this subject.  Who or what is Layson? :shruggy: :icon_smile_big:
aftermarket  restoration parts seller out of washington state I believe ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

xs29j8Bullitt

The first picture has been posted on the Moparts thread... more will apparently be posted later.
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

bull

:smilielol: Those guys needed a big piece of humble pie and a tall glass of embarrassment to wash it down with. I'd like to think this will improve their attitudes up there but I doubt it.

I've heard that Rick Keesler is good to deal with but I've never had the pleasure. Every time I've dealt with them I've but underwhelmed.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,39354.0.html

68chrgrwife

It would be a weird thing if it was for the "pentastar" thing.  They are always at Spring fling, Fall fling in Van Nuys and at Vegas and never had any "issues"...so why now?
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

bordin34

Of course this has to happen right after I leave.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

JimShine

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on July 12, 2008, 10:16:49 PM
It would be a weird thing if it was for the "pentastar" thing.  They are always at Spring fling, Fall fling in Van Nuys and at Vegas and never had any "issues"...so why now?

Not saying this is the answer, but licenses are not indefinite. It is still a possibility as they could have defaulted on the agreement and owed Chrysler some dough.

71ChallengeHer

We were there. They taped everything off around Shelby's car. And they wouldn't let her get her stuff. :shruggy:  Tufcat, thank Mike. He ran down there and closed up Shelby's car because of the huge crowd that gathered.  :cheers:

TUFCAT

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on July 12, 2008, 10:55:52 PM
We were there. They taped everything off around Shelby's car. And they wouldn't let her get her stuff. :shruggy:  Tufcat, thank Mike. He ran down there and closed up Shelby's car because of the huge crowd that gathered.  :cheers:

Mike told me he met you --  :cheers: and got a big hug to take back for me :2thumbs:.  Did you or anyone else see if Rob Wolf from MCG was also arrested? Mike said he was involved.  That doesn't seem justified unless he got beligerant with the cops or did something stupid such as getting involved in a police matter.... :shruggy:   

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 12, 2008, 11:04:14 PM
Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on July 12, 2008, 10:55:52 PM

Mike told me he met you --  :cheers: and got a big hug to take back for me :2thumbs:.  Did you or anyone else see if Rob Wolf from MCG was also arrested? Mike said he was involved.  That doesn't seem justified unless he got beligerant with the cops or did something stupid such as getting involved in a police matter.... :shruggy:   
I'm not sure who all got arrested but I'm sure I'll find out more tomorrow. I bet it will be in the paper too. I'll let you know what I find out. I do know the one guy was complaining that the handcuffs hurt.  :rofl: :rofl:

Kevin68N71

Maybe its just me, and I know nothing about this company.

But I will say this...if this is all about using some logo or some licensing, isn't that a civil matter that would be handled in the courts, e.g., Chrysler sends a cease and desist order to someone who is not licensed properly, and sues then in court?  Isn't this a civil legal matter and not criminal?

Since when do cops show up at an EVENT and start handcuffing people there?

If that is truly the case, I find it a bit irritating that a town would sent out its police force in mass for something like this.  Now if the guy refuses to show up in court, I can understand the MARSHAL arresting him at his home or something...but at an event, and arresting the workers?

Either we're not getting the whole story, or taxpayers money is really wasted on having police involved in this matter, when violent crimes are going on.

Just my  :Twocents:
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

SFRT

Selling counterfeit goods counts as a property crime and every county police dept usually has a task force assigned to it. If they where selling unlicensed items that said Mopar or bore trademarks-its counterfeit.

Probably Mopar/Chrysler contacted the District Attorney for that county, which in turn sent over an investigator, verified the claim and then they used the local police.

It is a criminal matter, not a civil one. Hence-police. Seen it many times in the music business. It's also a real expensive bust. They get you for EACH item, not just a general offence. So, if there where 500 counterfeit items, thats 500 counts against each person...etc.

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

True. Cops don't snd shouldn't be involved with trademark issues. The only thing a uniformed cop would arrest someone for is something like fraud, theft, trespassing, etc.

SFRT

In effect, it is considered theft. Theft of intellectual copyright. Especially if they had recieved C&D recently, but continued to sell old inventory. A bit heavy handed, but, the perfect way to make a 'statement'. Spectacular public shutdown at an important event. Everyone else selling bootleg merch will think twice for a while.
Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

also, you have to consider that they need to seize the suspect merchandise. Civil law courts don't have armed officers as a rule, so again, the only option is to use local PD personnel.

Theres also a higher level of Federal anti-counterfeiting, usually for large volume situations, in those they will use FBI agents at times,  along with representatives from the local jurisdiction.
Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

licensing is pretty crazy. I work with a video game company some times and they are developing an online driving game and they have spent the last two years running around to every single car manufacturer as they have to work out license agreements for each and every car, accessory, model etc in the game. The level of paperwork is insane. Two years. just for paperwork.
Always Drive Responsibly

Steve P.

Rob Wolf was more than likely just getting the scoop for the magazine.. I'm sure the ordeal will be public before long.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida