News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 to 496 stroker from 440 Source with dyno results

Started by General_01, July 19, 2008, 09:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

Build:

-68 383 block
-4.310 Bore(.060 over)
-440 Source stroker kit(4.250 stroke, -20 dish pistons, upgrade to I beam connecting rods)
-10.4 to 1 compression ratio(pistons machined -.010)
-Mopar Aluminum heads(straight plug) 2.14/1.81
-Comp Cams XE290S
-Crane Aluminum roller rockers 1.5
-106* Centerline
-Holley Street Dominator intake
-AED 950 Race carb DP w/ 1" spacer
-Summit Mopar Distributor
-Hemi oil pan with 3/8 pick up

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

Congrats....that is a very nice street build.  :2thumbs:

It's gonna be loads of fun with a stick !  :devil:

Quote from: General_01 on July 19, 2008, 09:18:14 PM
Build:

-Comp Cams XE290S
-106* LSA (recommended-still need to make sure. Dyno guy did not know)

The XS290S is a split pattern solid with a 110* LSA. The recommended installed centerline is 106* which is 4* advanced and that is fine.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

PocketThunder

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 20, 2008, 04:16:36 PM
Congrats....that is a very nice street build.  :2thumbs:
It's gonna be loads of fun with a stick !   :devil:

I can second that.  Dean stopped by my place yesterday and he took me for a spin around the block.  Traction was definitely a problem..  :drive:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Musicman

Congratulations  :cheers:

It's nice when a plan finally comes together :yesnod:   Now go out and have yourself a ball :2thumbs:

Mike

Cooter

Geees, that's a monster of an enigne right there! Torque is amazing...

Yes, should be LOADS of fun with a straight drive..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

I'm sure it's been answered somewhere but why start with the 383 block? I have a few spares and this sounds like a great use for one of them. I've read a lot about 400 strokers but not too much about the 383. I do like the lower height though since so many people seem to have trouble fitting intakes and air cleaners under a Charger hood.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

General_01

I think a kit was developed because there are more 383 blocks out there than 440 blocks.
496 stroker
4-speed

Troy

But why did you pick one? The power looks great. Did you know what to expect when you started the build?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

General_01

To be honest, I just wanted a big block. I was looking for 440 first. I found the 383 on craigslist. The machine work had been done and all I had to do was put the engine together. I thought "Great. I'll buy this and have my cousin help put it together and save some money." After I got it I kept thinking about the 440 I had in the car and how I was going to miss the power. I kept reading the stroker threads and then my cousin kept talking about putting a small block stroker in his Fairlane. So I made the decision to go stroker. I really had no idea what to expect. I was just hoping for 500hp when it started. Ron assured me I would be happy. I asked him for advise during the build and he steered me right where I wanted to go.

The only thing I wish I would have done was a little more research on driving a stroker at highway speeds. I am considering putting 3.23 gears in the Bee now. It has 3.55 gears in it now. With the 440 in it, I could drive 65 and be at or around 3000 rpm. With the stroker, I am at 3500. I am thinking about putting a 3.23 gear in the rear. I do a bit of highway driving and I feel uncomfortable looking at 3500 on my tach for the two hour drive to see my Dad.
496 stroker
4-speed

AmadeusCharger500

Wonderful Build. Im thinking of doing a stroker with a 400 block to go into a challenger. These numbers would please me, if and when I get there.

Dans 68

Quote from: General_01 on October 07, 2009, 06:44:38 PM
...The only thing I wish I would have done was a little more research on driving a stroker at highway speeds. I am considering putting 3.23 gears in the Bee now. It has 3.55 gears in it now. With the 440 in it, I could drive 65 and be at or around 3000 rpm. With the stroker, I am at 3500. I am thinking about putting a 3.23 gear in the rear. I do a bit of highway driving and I feel uncomfortable looking at 3500 on my tach for the two hour drive to see my Dad.

I may be overly tired, but please tell me why with a manual transmission that there is a 500 rpm difference between a 440 and a stroker at 65 mph?

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

General_01

I do not know. I can only go by what I see. I had a 4 speed in the car with the 440 until about '95. Then I put an automatic in it. Now I put the 4 speed back in. Either way it is still 1:1 drive in top gear, so the RPM's should stay the same or be slightly less in a manual because you are not losing anything if the clutch is good.

The only other thing I can think of is that the rear end is going bad. Maybe that is what is happening. :shruggy:

496 stroker
4-speed

c00nhunterjoe

has to be in the torque converter. its not possible for an engine swap to raise the cruising rpm's. the converter must not have been flashed fully at your highway cruises? was it a big stall converter?

General_01

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 10, 2009, 10:31:45 PM
has to be in the torque converter. its not possible for an engine swap to raise the cruising rpm's. the converter must not have been flashed fully at your highway cruises? was it a big stall converter?

The car has the 4 speed in it now. The automatic ran less RPM's than the stick. Also, the stick in the 440 years ago ran less RPM's then the 4 speed is now in the stroker. I don't think the torque convertor was an issue. Like I said, it is either a by-product of a stroker ( :shruggy:) or it is something in the rear end.
496 stroker
4-speed

mauve66

stock rpm gauge?? maybe its getting off and needs to be re-calibrated??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

General_01

Not a stock one. It is an aftermarket gauge. The same one that has been in it since I got the car. I also don't think it is the gauge. You can hear the engine is running more RPM's. I also don't have an MSD ignition. It is a stock ignition.

Just kind of baffling me right now. The rear end is the way I am leaning, but everything was rebuilt or is new but the rear end. Engine is just rebuilt. Tranny was rebuilt. New McLeod Street Twin clutch. New flywheel. Driveline has many new variables. Seems winter is trying to come early here so it will probably be something I have to figure out next Spring unless the weather gets better and I can take a look without freezing my butt off. :icon_smile_big:
496 stroker
4-speed

mauve66

different size or rather diameter tires??  the same SIZE tires can have different DIAMETERS
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

General_01

Quote from: mauve66 on October 11, 2009, 10:17:37 AM
different size or rather diameter tires??  the same SIZE tires can have different DIAMETERS

You are right on that. I did not think it would raise it by 400-500 RPM though. I also went to this site and put in my tire size I have now and the tire size I had then and it only raised the RPM's less then 200.

http://vexer.com/68rt/speed.html

Guess I will have to wait and see if I have the money to put tires on my 15" Keystones next Spring and check it then.
496 stroker
4-speed

BLUE68RT4ME

Hey Dean, hope you had a lot of fun with your car this summer.  I enjoyed seeing it and meeting you at the Charger picnic in Maple Grove.  Everything run well the rest of summer?  Fuel cell issue taken care of?

I have an extra 440 at home that I plan to rebuild for fun and use in place of my original block so I don't go wrecking anything original.  I had a 383 block too, but I gave it to a friend and now I'm reading this and thinking back to seeing your car and I'm kicking myself in the butt for getting rid of it.  That motor would pull my fillings out of my teeth!   :drive: :smilielol:

Thanks for sharing your build info.  I can wait to start on that phase of my car!   :2thumbs:

Mark
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

General_01

Hi Mark. Hope your doing well.

The fuel leak was an easy fix. It was just the old rubber line from the sending unit to the solid fuel line. I just had to replace it. I am still dealing with some bugs here and there, but I kinda took a hiatus from working on the car much. I kinda got burned out over the summer. I will be parking it soon and then get the bugs straightened out in the Spring. I need to adjust the carb, pull the water pump because it is leaking, move the radiator a bit to accommodate my stock overflow tank, and a few other things. The car is a scream to drive though. Puts you in your seat. Now all I need to do is learn how to drive a stick properly again. It's been a while.

Don't kick yourself too much. You can build an awesome motor with the 440. They make stroker kits for those too. ;)

Take care.
496 stroker
4-speed