News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

^-^

hemigeno

:icon_smile_approve:

hemigeno

:icon_smile_big:

hemigeno

tan top

looking good ..   rust repair always looks worse then it actually is ... once all the metal is cut out & the rest cleaned up , pretty straight forward from then on , just time consuming to make a factory appearing job .  good / intresting pictures (hemigeno) thanks for sharing :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

onemintcaddy

How Meany can say, They drive there 401-K

Just 6T9 CHGR

Great to see "real" body work going on over there!    The fact that you are keeping as much factory metal is possible is great.  That guy has some real talent.  Can't wait to see the finished product!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

You have me even more excited about this weekend now Gene. I"m looking forward to seeing the car. Not that I ever turn down the chance to go oogle a daytona anyways. Looks like the work is progressing rather well.

XXHEMI

Geno

Looks great! Vance is motivated. What is your scheduled rebuild date?

Ed

FJMG

Hey HEMIGENO,  I noticed that your car also has only one battery cooling hole, I was just inquiring about this on the "MY SMART OLD MAN" thread.

Daytona Guy

great pic Hemigeno - Thank you for the great detailed pics.

hemigeno

Thanks again, everyone!

Hey FJMG, I had read your request in that other thread, and I really did go through all the pictures I have taken of my Daytona over the years, looking for a shot of that area so I could say how my car was made.  I also went through all the pictures I had just posted on Monday, looking for the same thing - and I couldn't find anything.  After reading your comment this morning, I went through all the same pictures again, wondering what I had missed.  Then I realized you must have seen the cooling hole area of the radiator yoke in this shot I had posted at the beginning of this thread...  Good eyes!   :thumbs:

hemigeno

Quote from: XXHEMI on March 06, 2007, 07:52:44 PM
Geno

Looks great! Vance is motivated. What is your scheduled rebuild date?

Ed

Ed, there's not an official deadline, apart from the fact that I don't want to miss the 2009 Talladega Reunion... I think he'll make that  :P

When I first started talking with him about doing my car, he had said that he could get it done in 8 months - and that was before he had even looked at the car in person.  I honestly thought that there was no way he could turn it around that quickly, but they're rocking right along.  I've told him repeatedly that I would rather that it took longer so they could do it correctly (yeah, I know - dumb thing to tell a typical autobody shop) than to rush it out under a deadline scenario.  From what I can see, and again I'm not an expert bodyman, it looks like they're doing a fantastic job in a pretty compressed timeperiod.  Best of both worlds.

I think part of what's helping their current rate of progress is the fact that my car came in at an opportune time for sheet metal work.  There were tons of cars in Vance's sheet metal side of the shop when I was there in November, but a lot of them were very close to wrapping up.  In some of the shots I posted in this thread, there were four cars in the same area getting sheet metal work done on them back in November.  Now there's just my car.  I don't know how backed up Vance's paint/trim area is (it's in a different part of the building), but I'll find out on Saturday when I'm there, and what is there will probably be gone by the time my car is ready for paint.

Glad you guys are enjoying the progress pics, and there'll be lots more as we go along.

daytonalo

Are you doing the work or someone else ? Nice job on the deck lid , mine is not as bad , but close

nascarxx29

daytonalo Hemi Genos resto is being done by Vance Cummings .Who has turned out some well known mopar restorations
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on March 07, 2007, 09:18:21 AM
Are you doing the work or someone else ? Nice job on the deck lid , mine is not as bad , but close

Larry, what Dave said is right - Vance is doing the restoration on my car.  He's a top-notch body guy, but the biggest reason I'm using him is because of his knowledge of the Daytonas.  Here's a quote from an earlier thread that partly explains why I'm having the resto done by someone else:

Quote from: hemigeno on November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM
Now I know there are several guys on here that cringe at the thought of farming out the complete restoration of a car.  In my mind, a car like an original Daytona deserves a better restoration than what an amateur bodyman like myself could give it.  I would rather for people to enjoy seeing the car, not be appalled at my lack of bodywork skills   :o

And a link to the thread that was in:

Got rid of my Daytona Friday

hemi68charger

Good gracious.......... You're going to have yours back before mine !!!!!   :lol:

That sheetmetal work rocks Geno !!!!!!   It's going to be so worth the wait !!!!! :2thumbs:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Thanks Troy!

Give Smitty a link to this thread, and see if that lights a fire under him a little more...   :P

41husk

Grrreat shots, thanks for sharing them Geno! keep the updates coming.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

daytonalo

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on March 07, 2007, 06:28:48 PM
ok , what is that bill going to be ?????????????????????????????????

A lot less than it would be if I tried to do it myself, screwed it up, and had to take it all to someone like Vance and have it all redone correctly... 

:rotz:

Why is that important anyway?

Troy

Quote from: daytonalo on March 07, 2007, 06:28:48 PM
ok , what is that bill going to be ?????????????????????????????????
A better question: what was the bill for the truck? :D It gets more attention any way...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemigeno

Quote from: Troy on March 07, 2007, 07:41:50 PM
A better question: what was the bill for the truck? :D It gets more attention any way...

Oh geez, bring that up again, wouldya??   :P

The only thing I've seen really compete with the truck for attention was when I had the Daytona (in it's project-car condition) loaded on the back.  I had people chasing me down thinking I was taking the Daytona to the MonsterMopar swap meet... 

Once the Daytona is finished, even it would probably never get noticed sitting on the back of the truck.   :rotz:

Troy

Heehee, who'd have thought an old farm truck would be the star of the show?

I wish the guys who were working on my Charger put in 1/10 of the effort that Vance and his crew are putting into yours. My car was in the shop for three months and they got a trunk pan an two metal patches partially welded in. Yeah, they were cheap but at that rate it would take approximately ten years to finish the car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.