News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

want to take out front and rear glass

Started by Pistolpete, October 28, 2005, 06:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistolpete

are there any tricks to taking out the front and rear glass from a 69 Charger without damaging the trim??
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

41husk

you need to remove the trim, and even if you have a auto glass place take it out they will not gauranty it won't break.  I have had them remove glass from my Challenger and a 67 Charger I owned, it cost about $75 to remove and reinstall each and they removed the trim and reinstalled without breaking anything.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

71charger_fan

Never give in to the temptation to pry on the glass. I was pulling the windshield out of a 73 and stuck a screwdriver in the channel to coax it just a little bit. A crack just about immediately ran all the way across the glass.

Pistolpete

'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Silver R/T

you can use piano wire remover, it just piano wire with handles on each side you slide it back and forth to cut across seal
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Blown70

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 28, 2005, 04:24:36 PM
you can use piano wire remover, it just piano wire with handles on each side you slide it back and forth to cut across seal

Cheers to that... but do not be temped to yank on the glass.

Also the trim can be teased off with a lite tool or some time hands... Small clips hold them on.

You will see them and you remove it.... I have a few spared for the rear... Start there.... ;D

58pwrwgn

// Here are a couple of pic of the trim removal.   There is a barb on the body side of the clip that catches the lip of the trim. By using this tool you pull the clip away from the body, releasing the trim.   Most of the time it is a simple operation, it just requires mastering the technique. You may want to try the windshield first, as the rubber gasket may protect it as you try to pry on the clips.   Becareful on the backglass that you don't force the clip or tool against the glass or you may break it.

The backglass is held in by butyl. If you plan to try and remove it youself, using wire is safest. (there was a post where a guy used acetone and a putty knife to disoolve the butyl, sounds messy)   You can buy wire for pulling glass, or a hood pull cable,picture hang wire ect.   Use something to make a hole in the butyl, put the wire through, wrap the ends of the wire around a screwdriver handle and saw back and forth.

The windshield is held in by a rubber gasket. It is the diffecult of the two to remove. First find the seam on the outsde of the gasket and unzip the boot all the way around. At this point there are two ways to procede.   1)   start on inside top corner,pull the lip of the rubber gasket back as you gentle push out on the glass. You need friends as the more of the lip you can pull back the easier it sound be. 2) Use a small plastic putty knife. Work it between the rubber gasket and glass on the inside and out to break any adhesion between the rubber and glass. Lube the outside of the gasket down in by the edge of the glass with spray glass cleaner, dish soap ect.. Pull back on the outside of the rubber gasket and gentle push the windshield out.

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Pistolpete

Ok, I had a glass co. come and remove the rear glass for me yesterday, they are coming back to remove the front today.....he says the gasket cannot be saved as it is basically glued down and hard as a rock...(I think he said epoxy?) he needs to cut the gasket to get the windshield out? should I let him - is there aftermarket windshoeld gaskets available?

please let me know

thanks
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Shakey

Quote from: Pistolpete on November 02, 2005, 08:21:34 AM
Ok, I had a glass co. come and remove the rear glass for me yesterday, they are coming back to remove the front today.....he says the gasket cannot be saved as it is basically glued down and hard as a rock...(I think he said epoxy?) he needs to cut the gasket to get the windshield out? should I let him - is there aftermarket windshoeld gaskets available?

please let me know

thanks

Pete,

Call Year One and order a catalogue for $10.00 USD.  It is a great resource as far as which parts are available.  You don't necessarily have to buy from them, but it is good to have around as a referance.

They have your gasket $70.00 USD.  I am sure you can find it elsewhere for less and closer to home.

WCRD715 Windshield gasket, 1968-1970 B-body models except convertible or 4-door, reproduction.

Pistolpete

Hi Shakey,

Thanks, I'll do that.......Do you have any suggestions for Canadian mopar suppliers or at least some US ones within driving distance??
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

58pwrwgn

Ask your autoglass company what their cost is for your gasket.

Troy

Yes, just cut out the old gasket and clean the window channels out real well. The gasket (as noted) is reproduced and you definitely don't want to go through all the hassle a year down the road when the old rubber starts leaking. I wouldn't buy it from Year One as the prices are high and practically every resto warehouse sells them. I would also wait to buy it until just before you need to install it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.