News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater controls

Started by Hemidog, November 21, 2008, 11:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

I am restoring my dash and heater this winter, and this is what's left of the heater controls (or at least what I have found)
I have no clue on how to piece this thing together.

Has anyone had this thing apart and/or have some pictures of it?

It's for an A/C, but non A/C control pics might help a bit too.

Chatt69chgr

The white plastic 5-button control can be purchased new from Mopar.  I don't think they cost all that much.  The secret will be determining the correct part number.  I think the original number has been superceded several times.  And most Mopar dealers threw their old parts catalogs away so they can't figure the number out for you by application (for anything below 1984).  Maybe someone has the correct number and can post it.

My heater control assembly is still bolted in the car so I can't take a picture of the 5-button switch assembly installed in it.  There may be a picture in the shop manual.

baullz

Here's the A/C controls from my '69, hope this helps, and if you need anything else just let me know

Hemidog

great picture! thanks!

Do you have anymore pictures from different angles? I can't figure out where the jagged long pieces in my picture goes...

On a side note, since I will not be using my AC, all I need is the temp and fan buttons right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Those pieces might be part of the switch itself and when you get a new one you wont need them....never seen them on my set up
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Hemidog

I've found the part numbers...

ebay sellers sure wants an arm and a leg for those things....

Not sure I will even need them, since I will not be using my AC.

Chatt69chgr

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-MOPAR-5-BUTTON-AC-SWITCH-CONTROL-ASSY-68-UP-NOS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem200277716772QQitemZ200277716772QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Use this link to look at one advertised on ebay.  or search on ebay using 5 button mopar heater control switch.  The above seller didn't sanitize the photo so you can still see the part number.  You will also get a couple of listing from rehrenberg who has it for $49 plus shipping---he did sanitize the picture.  Same part.  Go to your dealer with this info and see if he can order you one.  You might be able to get it cheaper from the dealer than from ebay.  And if you have any success, post the part number from the dealer that worked.  The original part number has been superceded quite a few times.  I think the same part fits most 68-77 applications.

69 OUR/TEA

I just bought one a couple weeks ago on ebay for $44.00,not a bad price IMO.My orig still works,buttons don't return when you switch over to another control,you have to pull it back out,figured better buy one anyway.You see them quite a bit on ebay for around that price.The number on the new one is diff from the orig,like others said the partt # has been changed many times.

Just 6T9 CHGR

You will need one unless you like having vacuum leaks? :slap:

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Hemidog

I love vacuum leaks!

speaking of that, I got two vacuum lines going through the firewall, are they both going to the intake vacuum plug?
they were not connected when I got the car.

1969chargerrtse

I have this extra part in a box.  If It would help pay pal me 5.00 and I'll ship it out.  I know nothing about it if it works or not?  Parts?  I'll ship the white plastic switch stuff but keep the tubes,wires and metal plate. ( less weight ) Let me know of a way to test it if need be.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

baullz

Heres another pic I just found that gives a little better angle, mine is part number 3431017B  and thats from a '69.

I'm not sure what those little jagged pieces are either, they must be from inside the actual vacuum switch like 6T9 CHGR said

Hemidog

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 26, 2008, 07:48:55 AM
I have this extra part in a box.  If It would help pay pal me 5.00 and I'll ship it out.  I know nothing about it if it works or not?  Parts?  I'll ship the white plastic switch stuff but keep the tubes,wires and metal plate. ( less weight ) Let me know of a way to test it if need be.

Thanks man! you have a pm!  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Hemidog on November 26, 2008, 11:47:17 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 26, 2008, 07:48:55 AM

Thanks man! you have a pm!  :2thumbs:
I'll ship it out tomorrow and then let you know what it cost to get it to NORWAY!  Then you can paypal me. I'll PM you the paypal name.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Hemidog

thanks!  :2thumbs:
It is so nice for us far away from the US having this site to communicate with other mopar friends!

Hemidog

Well for the sake of future people searching the forum for info on this thing, I've found out what those jagged pieces were.
They lay on top of each other inside the controller and their task is to return the button that is switched on when you push another one.

70daytonaclone

hi all, any way to lube the switch or the selector controls? they are really dry and hard to move. thanks for input(feedback).

Chargerfreak

Hi.

Found this old thread.
My ac control is in pieces too, the plastic thing.

There are so many different part numbers for the plastic thing, is it important to get the exact same part number?

I am in need of a new one too.

Number on my original is 3431017B    2222

New is very expensive too. Somebody got something like that around?

Also my temp lever is broken.

Its a ac 68 Charger

Thanks
Chris.

Nacho-RT74

Damn I missed this one

Quote from: Hemidog on December 05, 2008, 04:17:41 PM
Well for the sake of future people searching the forum for info on this thing, I've found out what those jagged pieces were.
They lay on top of each other inside the controller and their task is to return the button that is switched on when you push another one.

I could answer that if I had readed on those days, since fixed one for a guy with a 70

Quote from: 70daytonaclone on March 16, 2009, 03:34:03 PM
hi all, any way to lube the switch or the selector controls? they are really dry and hard to move. thanks for input(feedback).

Lithium grease, although vaseline could work

Sometimes vacuum problems on switches ( and not just this switch) are related to the dry rubber parts on the vacuum section

For those interested on this in Europe, Mercedes Benz used these same switches for some W116 and I think W126 too.... maybe some others of same 70/80s period. I can't guarantee they are indexed or set it up the same on function but they looks exactly same pieces from the distance
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Chargerfreak on February 08, 2020, 02:41:36 PM
Hi.

Found this old thread.
My ac control is in pieces too, the plastic thing.

There are so many different part numbers for the plastic thing, is it important to get the exact same part number?

I am in need of a new one too.

Number on my original is 3431017B    2222

New is very expensive too. Somebody got something like that around?

Also my temp lever is broken.

Its a ac 68 Charger

Thanks
Chris.

Actually that PN takes for a 70 or 71 piece, so probably was already replaced in the past
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Chargerfreak

Ok.

Well it has fallen apart in the past and i think i don't  have all internals left.

Im not using ac, but still need it to have my blower working correctly. With the off button actually shutting it off when i want too.
I can't  see how it would shut it off with the internals i have

Chris

Nacho-RT74

The push buttons "plates" work somehow hard to get or decode. If they fallen appart it could become hard to get it correctly set to make it work again like it should.

About the blower not coming off. I had the same problem on the 70 system I was fixing and it happened even installing a NOS switch. True this 70 which it was a 4 Speed R/T got the AC added from a 3rd gen donor and didn't get deep in the problem because the 70 owner and me got splitted on our friendship ( he was talking shit on my back to everyone even I fixed stuff on his car who nobody could in the past, for free, so dedided yout take distance from him ). He had to make a push button combination or sequence to turn it off

So, could be a difference on the switch used ( I can't remember the PN ) being for some other application? Dunno. We must remember these second gen system gor delays relays systems for the heater and AC to work. There could be a relation on why don't turn off correctly?