News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk extensions

Started by nh_mopar_fan, October 31, 2005, 09:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nh_mopar_fan

Is it possible to remove trunk extensions and weld in new ones without damaging the outer panel?

Anyone care to educate a bodywork idiot?

cudaken

nh_mopar_fan, what year Charger? Not sure what you mean by trunk extions. I was thinking ment Quater extions at frist like on my 69. They unbolt.

Cuda Ken
I am back

nh_mopar_fan

It's actually an A-body.

66 Barracuda.

Trunk extensions, they weld up to the center piece of the trunk floor on each side and extend down to meet at the bottom of the rear quarters.

Nacho-RT74

He is talking about the trunk floor extension, the ones that fold down and meet with lower section of quarter panels, behind the rear wheels.

I don't think possible replace them without damage the outer panel, at least the paint, not really the panel itself. They are electrical point welded. Even you remove your old ones without damage teh quarter drilling the weld points, when you attach the new ones will get heat and damage some the paint.

If you have a new or recent or mint paint body job on your car, you can allways make a body or paint job starting from body lower line after replace the extension and would be unoticeable if you match perfect the paint color shade.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

nh_mopar_fan

Nope, the car will be going out for paint after the extensions are done and the rear spring mount is patched. The rear quarters do have some rust breaking through though so I'm wondering what the best way would be to proceed. The rear quarters appear to be original and being a one-year only design, the only patch panels available are for 64-65 which have to be cut becaus ethe body line is different about 7 inches up from the bottom. Seems like a waste....

The friggin extensions do not look that bad either. I mean the rust is in a couple sections right at the bottom where it meets the rear quarter and it less than a inch wide.

If there was a way to just lay a good patch on it, I'd even consider it.

Nacho-RT74

anything is possible. You can search a thread on this board started by me talking about body job in my car and you will see home made patch panels, since they dont exist here in Venezuela.
My car is now finished, still no pics but will post soon
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

cudaken

Here is a to do it. Hane the extensions weld to the trunk floor, them use SEAM's Panel Glue ( I will get the part number if needed). Use the glue the attached the lower part to the quater, in stead of welding use a self tapping screw or rivets to hold in places while glue sets up.

Use Metal to Metal to fill the holes after you pull out the screws or rivets. (used steel rivets). Or you could leave them open as drain holes.

Cuda Ken
I am back

nh_mopar_fan

Thanks Ken,

So you think I should be able to cut the old ones out without doing any damage to the quarters?

cudaken

nh_mopar_fan, with the car not being in paint will not be a problem. Any small if any damage would be easy to fix anyway.

I would cut the main section of the extensions out with a cut off tool from under the car (ware safty glasses.) Make sure you don't go to deep or you could cut threw the out skin. Try to leave a little as the extensions as you can, say no more than 1/2". Then use a angel grinder and grind the rest off to the out skin.

It will take a about a hour as side. You may need someone to hold the quater after the extension is cut off, may shake when you hit it with the grinder.

Ken
I am back

nh_mopar_fan

Excellent.

Thanks for the advice!

cudaken

Need any other help just speak up.

Ken
I am back