News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Orange vrs Chevy Orange

Started by Moparbob, December 17, 2008, 03:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Hey,

I needed to put a coat of paint on some re done 440 heads and all I had was Chevy orange,, I know I know,, its a sin but I needed to get them primed at least. Anywho, I went to the auto parts store and bought some Chrysler Hemi Orange paint. Well I got home and started to second coat the heads and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I cant tell the difference????  What gives? Are they about the same? Do I need glasses? :hah:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Ghoste

I wouldn't be surprised if many of them out there are the same but I'm pretty sure that in reality, the Chevy one is supposed to have a little more red in it.

mikepmcs

The difference is, Hemi Orange costs more. :D
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Nacho-RT74

HAHA... is the same about the Chrysler corporated blue ( 72 and laters Mopar engines ) and the Old Ford Blue... although is hard to notice some diff by pics, I COULD REALLY say is the same or unnoticeable... Since no Chrysler colors down here I had to use Old Ford Blue cans.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Quote from: mikepmcs on December 17, 2008, 06:16:02 PM
The difference is, Hemi Orange costs more. :D

That's because it's faster.  :icon_smile_wink:

Then again, reading Nacho's post I recall that Jake King used Ford blue on Sox & Martin's engines so maybe Ford blue is fastest?

Mike DC

"Hemi Orange" engine paint color is indeed yellower than Hugger.  Or at least it should be.

But "Hemi Orange" exterior body paint color from the muscle era is totally differnt from the engine color of the same name.  It's actually more red than "Hugger Orange" is.

Arizona Dave

You have to break it down and go back to Moparbob's initial statement: "it's a sin".  ;-) :cheers:

...there's always Flame Red.  No, that's an even bigger sin! :icon_smile_cool:
High Speed & Low Drag, Baby!
Look me up when you're in AZ.
Arizona Dave

Mike DC

Corvette Flame Red (at least the later years CFR) is what you'd get if you took Hemi orange engine paint and made it brighter.  The the red/yellow balance of the two colors is almost identical.

BROCK

Don't forget Street Hemi Orange & Racing Hemi Orange are also different shades as well.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

superbirdtom

to tell the difference in close paint colors the only wayto really tell is you have to have an inch of each paint in a container side by side. then take a paint stick and dip it all the way into the first container then take the stik and put it half way into the second container you then have a side by side on the paint stik thats the tried and true way short of doing a paint panel test. very easy.

trying to look at paint anything less than side by side is futile.  SBT

69hemi

Rob at Mopaints has the only real colors.  The stuff this guy knows about Mopars paints will stagger your mind.  No website but without them it would be tough to get the detail that a correct restoration requires. You can contact MoPaint at 732-846-1044

He is one of the good guys
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

GreenMachine

One thing I learned from working in a Paint Store (house paint) was that each paint manufacturer makes up the names of their colors. THERE IS NO STANDARDIZATION. Alabaster in one brand is different than Alabaster in another brand.
   After knowing that, I would bet that Hemi Orange was a little different from year to year.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

69hemi

Quote from: GreenMachine on December 23, 2008, 06:17:31 PM
  One thing I learned from working in a Paint Store (house paint) was that each paint manufacturer makes up the names of their colors. THERE IS NO STANDARDIZATION. Alabaster in one brand is different than Alabaster in another brand.
   After knowing that, I would bet that Hemi Orange was a little different from year to year.

It was different year to year as was the glossiness of it.  Mopaints has done tons of reserch and has most of the original pigment charts to mix it by.  That is why I go to him
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

hemi-hampton

If I remember right the Race Hemi Orange is darker then the Street Hemi Orange & probably the closer match to the Chevy orange. Also, I think they changed the spray bomb formula in past couple of years. What you buy now not the same as what you may have bought 5 years ago in spraybomb. LEON.

b5blue

Mopar must have changed something in there spray cans,I had old cans of street hemi I started using and ran out.I bought more and it did not match, the old shade was lighter.

69hemi

The Mopar spray bombs are not even close to the correct shade or gloss.  They are way to red and way way too shiny.  Both of the Hemi colors are semi gloss and a lighter orange.  The Mopar Turquoise is closer to the original for you pre 1969 wedge guys however.
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

b5blue

69hemi

No website but a you can contact MoPaint at 732-846-1044

Tell Rob Jet sent you and he will take care of you.
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

b5blue

superbirdtom

Quote from: 69hemi on December 24, 2008, 03:48:07 PM
No website but a you can contact MoPaint at 732-846-1044

Tell Rob Jet sent you and he will take care of you.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>           Now these guys will mix paints like a paint store does??  I guess I could also call them and get a formula since I have a ppg mixing system. I have paint books going back to 1964.

b5blue

OH wait! I'll tell Rob that Jet sent me!My bad, Thanks "Jet"!I take it he is the man for all the B 5 Blue I'm gonna need also!

Mike DC

I think the Plasti-Kote engine enamel cans are tolerable for (street) "Hemi Orange" engine paint.

b5blue

Is it less red and not as glossy?I like the lighter shade it looks less GM.(my 440 was chevy orange when I bought it and I hated it)

ACUDANUT

MOPAR BOB,  I sent you a PM (personal message) about those BB truck motor mounts, and didn't know if you ever got it. ????  I still need em. Thanks, Mike

Just 6T9 CHGR

When I redid my engine 4 years ago I used MP's new Hemi Restoration Orange paint.....flowed out of the can nicely & was a great color I thought.....now I need some touch up & they discoe'd it!  SOB!!!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T