News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger A/C dash vents, best way to restore,chrome,paint?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, December 24, 2008, 04:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

In my quest of restoring my dash this winter, what's the scoop with re chroming, or repainting, chrome tape, the center dash A/C Vents.  Any idea's or pictures out there?
Merry Christmas to you all. :2thumbs:
And please no comments about the 68 fader knob location on my 69 car. :eek2:  I go through this everytime I post a picture of the dash.  I know, I know, that's one of the many reasons I'm redoing the dash.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

The best way is to have them sent out to a place that does vacuum metallizing the way the factory did it originally.  Finding a place you trust is little more difficult; Mr. G's is one but I have heard a variety of opinions on them.  JC Automotive do it as well I think and their reputation is a lot better.
There are also quite a few members on the site who have had great results using model paint and a fine point brush among other solutions.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on December 26, 2008, 12:08:53 AM
The best way is to have them sent out to a place that does vacuum metallizing the way the factory did it originally.  Finding a place you trust is little more difficult; Mr. G's is one but I have heard a variety of opinions on them.  JC Automotive do it as well I think and their reputation is a lot better.
There are also quite a few members on the site who have had great results using model paint and a fine point brush among other solutions.
Thanks for the info.  I went on the net and found " Vacuum metalizing " Chrome tech usa.  They are in WI.  I think I will give them a try.  After spending 1,000.00 for the dash bezels, and another 500.00 or so for redoing the gauges, I don't want a painted look.  Thanks again.  :2thumbs:

http://www.chrometechusa.com/

Here's some info on their page.

"Most arm bases can be re plated for as little as $35 each. Most A/C balls and vents are typically $25 and up. Dash panels typically can vary from $50 to $200 to re plate. Detail painting on dash panels can range from $25 to $150 depending upon size and detail. Please call with your particular needs for an estimate before shipping. **Click Here** to see more samples of my work."

CHROME TECH usa

1-608-274-9811 between 9am 9pm  cst
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bull

http://cvvacuumplaters.com/ can do it for less than that. In fact you can buy a whole new dash plastic set for less than that through PG Classic or BE&A.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bull on December 27, 2008, 02:24:08 AM
http://cvvacuumplaters.com/ can do it for less than that. In fact you can buy a whole new dash plastic set for less than that through PG Classic or BE&A.
Well, last I checked the repro black bezels were 375.00 and the wood bezels were 569.00 for A/C cars , so that's 944.00 plus shipping (tax ?).
Chrome tech USA will re chrome my black bezels for 225.00 and then I will get the wood bezels. He said he has done 100's of Mopar panels with no complaints.
cvvacuumplaters wants a total of 390.00 for all the black bezels.
One of the reasons my black bezels are cheaper is because it's an SE dash so he doesn't have to detail the black bezels with lettering as the wood goes over the main parts.

68r/t

Why would you need black bezels if you got wood?
It's one or the other I thought,  I got the black bezels from Mike and they look and fit great.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 68r/t on December 27, 2008, 06:33:45 AM
Why would you need black bezels if you got wood?
It's one or the other I thought,  I got the black bezels from Mike and they look and fit great.
The black bezel is the main part that has the chrome rings for all the gauges. The black bezel also has holes in it that the tabs for the wood bezel to go through and lock in.  That's what makes the SE dash so costly , but it looks like a 1,000.00 when done.  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Not a comment but a question, are you leaving the fader knob on there in the 68 location?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on December 27, 2008, 03:28:21 PM
Not a comment but a question, are leaving the fader knob on there in the 68 location?
:hah: :nana: :slap:  You are one funny man.  I actually lauged when I read that.  I was waiting for someone to drag that up again, and here you are.  ( you're kidding , right? :eek2:) If you look close above the gas pedal on the first picture you can see the 69 fader knob that came with the car.  Oh to answer your question.....  No I will not be leaving the 68 knob on my 69 car.  I don't need two fader switches and I'm not drilling a hole into my 1,000.00 dash trim.  :icon_smile_wink:

Ghoste

No I wasn't trying to be funny or belligerent really.  Had you anwered that you preferred it where it was, I was going to ask why.  You never know, you may have had a reason for wanting it so and it genuinely interested me why.  I'm kind of goofy about these cars that way.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on December 27, 2008, 06:18:49 PM
No I wasn't trying to be funny or belligerent really.  Had you answered that you preferred it where it was, I was going to ask why.  You never know, you may have had a reason for wanting it so and it genuinely interested me why.  I'm kind of goofy about these cars that way.
Oh, sorry I thought you were being funny and breaking my chops, because I talked about it on the first post. O.K got ya. :2thumbs:  I did laugh though. :hah:

68r/t

I just had a look at BEAs site as I thought the woodgrain bezels were complete, but they are just an overlay so I guess there is no way out, $1000 it is  :'(

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 68r/t on December 27, 2008, 07:07:48 PM
I just had a look at BEAs site as I thought the woodgrain bezels were complete, but they are just an overlay so I guess there is no way out, $1000 it is  :'(
Here, let me help you with that since it's coming out of my wallet.  :-\  :'(  :'(  :'(  :brickwall:

1969chargerrtse

Well I got my vents back from Chrome tech USA.  They came out nice.   I think the smudge marks on the lower end are from me. :icon_smile_big:

Hemidog

That is looking good, better than my silver painted ones  :P
How much did that set you back?

tan top

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 23, 2009, 04:25:49 PM
Well I got my vents back from Chrome tech USA.  They came out nice.   I think the smudge marks on the lower end are from me. :icon_smile_big:

:yesnod:  look nice  :yesnod:
:thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Hemidog on February 23, 2009, 04:30:41 PM
That is looking good, better than my silver painted ones  :P
How much did that set you back?
25.00 each.  50.00 total plus 10.00 shipping, which included my large dash pieces.  I just sent out the shells, they strip them and then chrome the whole thing and paint it black.  He used flat black, but I'm going to email him that semi flat would be a better match.