News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 charger front end conversion

Started by 13standtall23, January 09, 2009, 11:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13standtall23

I have a 1973 charger and i would like to know how much work it would be to convert the front end to a 68-69 charger front end if it is even possible. Can anybody help me?

hotrod98

That I would like to see. The inner structures are entirely different in all respects. Would take some major surgery in my opinion. The body lines aren't even vaguely similar. But, I'll bet there are people that could pull it off.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

FLG

Anything can be done...but the real question here is WHY?

I mean were talking completely different and there would be no added benefit as far as i can tell.

MoparManJim

Quote from: 13standtall23 on January 09, 2009, 11:36:06 PM
I have a 1973 charger and i would like to know how much work it would be to convert the front end to a 68-69 charger front end if it is even possible. Can anybody help me?

Man, your talking about taking a 3rd gen charger and putting a 2nd gen charger nose on it. Each gen of the chargers was different.

WingCharger

More of a job for Chip Foose... ::)
It would be easier to probably just somehow put a 2g grille into 3g sheetmetal...

teamroth

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Nacho-RT74

if you talk about just the bumper and grill... MAYBE you could try to get a 71/73 Coronet bumper and make some grill adaptions. but then dunno.

Fenders and everything else...imposible. Door edge is straight on 2nd gens and curved on 3rds, hood gets to windshield on 3rd gens and is curved also... many diff about straight and curves between 2nd and 3rd gens

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

pettyfan43

Why try that nonsense? You'd be WAY ahead to get a front bumper assembly with brackets from a 71 or 72 that had hidden lights, That is what I have for my 73 S/E

RD

i think it would look cool.. if you got the time, effort, and money.. go for it!!!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

teamroth

Quote from: pettyfan43 on January 10, 2009, 01:30:56 PM
Why try that nonsense? You'd be WAY ahead to get a front bumper assembly with brackets from a 71 or 72 that had hidden lights, That is what I have for my 73 S/E

nonsense to most, but if it's your vision, why not?
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

pettyfan43

Quote from: teamroth on January 11, 2009, 02:04:29 AM

No reason I guess, just seems like a LOT of time effort and money to me personally, the cost of the 69 Charger grille alone would seem to make that project impractical. Not to mention there are an awful lot of things you would have to deal with, like setting up an entire vacuum system to make the headlamp doors function, THEN there are all the dimensional differences that have to be resolved on something like that, where the 71-72 setup is a bolt on and you can just paint the bumper body color.

quapman

Quote from: WingCharger on January 10, 2009, 08:18:47 AM
More of a job for Chip Foose... ::)

Sure, but first he'd have to bondo-fill all the factory seams and put a high school Chevy paint job on it.

Seriously, it sounds like an interesting concept. Has anyone mtaken any measurements to see if the two are even close? The fenders sure wouldn't bolt on since 68/69's bolt from the sides and 70-74's are top mounted. The 73 has a full surround bumper too, compared to the simpler "straight" 68/69 type.

Can someone Photochop it??

We'll needs lots of this   :popcrn: :popcrn:

bull

Because it would look like a$$ for one. The design of it wouldn't flow at all. And aside from the ghastly look of it you'd surely have sheet metal flapping in the wind even after spending countless hours trying to make it fit right. I doubt you could even line up the wheels with the wheel wells. They're two totally different cars. He might as well be trying to plant a '66 Ford Fairlane front end on it.

Nacho-RT74

something to begin with...was on ebay sometime ago
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

MoparManJim

Quote from: bull on January 11, 2009, 09:49:00 AM

Because it would look like a$$ for one. The design of it wouldn't flow at all. And aside from the ghastly look of it you'd surely have sheet metal flapping in the wind even after spending countless hours trying to make it fit right. I doubt you could even line up the wheels with the wheel wells. They're two totally different cars. He might as well be trying to plant a '66 Ford Fairlane front end on it.

Have you ever seen one done before?  :scratchchin:

I think it would work, If you change over things in the front to the other years made afew mods to the things would need to be done. There would be alot of work needed for the job and it wouldn't be for lazy people either.

Plus, on 2nd gen chargers there isn't metal flapping in the wind either so why would there be metal flapping on somthing like this for. We are talking about the same kinda of car,there both chargers, only different is there two different years, with some work and mods it would work.

69bronzeT5

I can see somebody putting '71 or '72 front end stuff on a '73 or '74 but I can't see somebody putting a '68 or '69 front end on and actually making it look nice. :Twocents:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

BROCK

Perhaps a 70 bumper & grille :scratchchin:  Seems like a more doable compromise.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

elanmars

Quote from: BROCK on January 12, 2009, 09:41:33 PM
Perhaps a 70 bumper & grille :scratchchin:  Seems like a more doable compromise.

hmm, that'd be interesting. someone photoshop it!!
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

JR

Not to come off like a dick here, but if you have to ask, then no.

Anything can be made out of metal, but only if you have the skills to do it. I'm not knocking you because I sure as hell couldn't do it myself.

But you could find some expensive 69 front clip somewhere for around 1500 or so I imagine, and then pay a real quality custom shop 90-150 dollars an hour to have it done. So I'm guessing write some checks for around ten grand or so, and you'll have your hybrid.

But why not sell your car, put that money with it, and buy a 69?

I'm not sure, but isn't that pic a 71 Coronet 4 door front end? Actually looks kind of neat.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Troy

The big difference is going to be in the cowl area. Second gen cars have a visible cowl at the rear of the hood and the fenders wrap around it. The hood goes all the way to the back on later models. Third generation Chargers share unibody parts with Cudas and Challengers so there are a bunch of ways to put them together. I don't think the body lines would match up very well even if you could get the fenders on. The bumpers are just bolt on so that's no big deal. From a looks standpoint, the later Chargers are a lot longer in the front end. Just compare the amount of space in front of the radiator support.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger1973

How about this? 

RallyeMike

That looks very cool, and do-able.

PS. I like your new Avatar  :coolgleamA:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

dpm68

Okay, this requires a beer. IMO, it would be a travesty to sacrifice a good second gen front end for such a purpose. But, I don't tell anyone what to do except my students, and even then the results are generally less than pleasing. But I guess if you have the time and the cash, why not? Oh, and what a way to kick off your first post. Almost as good as a certain 500hp someone we all know.  - dave

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 21, 2009, 10:12:02 PM
That looks very cool, and do-able.

PS. I like your new Avatar  :coolgleamA:

looks familar... right ? LOL

quapman

Hey, if everybody can "ooh & ahh" at the crap Chip Foose and others like him build, then I don't see the big deal. Nice rendering, Charger1973!

Personally, it's not for me, but that's because I'm a 3rd gen guy. We all know, the 2nd gen & 3rd gen guys are worlds apart and if this grille project could be done successfully, maybe it could be an example for our esteemed members of Congress!

Two more for the jar!

Steve