News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

diff between disc and drum spindles?

Started by General Ryan, November 03, 2005, 01:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Ryan

So what is the diff between the spindles?
visually are they the same or is on longer/thicker to hold the rotor??

If I was at a swap meet, could I tell which ones I am looking at if I wanted to buy them?

Ghoste

Visually they are not the same but I don't know that you could easily spot it unless you were really accustomed to looking at them.  To be honest, I can't recall what the physical differences were, but I think the disc brake one has a slightly larger diameter and slightly shorter spindle.

bull

One big fat difference is the drum spindles have no holes for caliper brackets. :icon_smile_big:

John_Kunkel

Easiest way to spot a drum spindle is it is symmetric, the same one fits left/right.

Disc brake spindles aren't interchangeable side-for-side.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 03, 2005, 05:53:33 PM
Easiest way to spot a drum spindle is it is symmetric, the same one fits left/right.

Yes they are. At least many guys are swapping the A- and E-body spindles side to side on their B-body Mopar Action upgrade.

'CUDA360

I have a set somewhere around here with calipers and rotors already on.. I think they were off a mid seventies Duster I had.
Let me know if you want them and I will dig em out and check their condition.

I think they are the slider type

John_Kunkel

Quote from: bull on November 03, 2005, 11:25:40 PM

Yes they are. At least many guys are swapping the A- and E-body spindles side to side on their B-body Mopar Action upgrade.

Jeez, how many adjectives does one need to use to avoid disagreement?

THE DISC BRAKE SPINDLES HAVE DIFFERENT PART NUMBERS SIDE-TO-SIDE AND ARE ORIGINALLY INTENDED TO BE INSTALLED ON ONE PARTICULAR SIDE OF THE VEHICLE. DRUM BRAKE SPINDLES HAVE THE SAME PART NUMBER AND COULD HAVE BEEN ORIGINALLY INSTALLED ON EITHER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE.

Is that more acceptable?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 04, 2005, 05:48:19 PM
Jeez, how many adjectives does one need to use to avoid disagreement?

It's not a matter of how many, it's a matter of using the ones that make sense. :angel:

jaak

Quote from: bull on November 03, 2005, 11:25:40 PM

:iagree: If I am not mistaking the a body disk spindle has the calipers mounted on the front of disk, when using these spindles on b bodies the r and l are swapped around so the caliper is mounted on rear of disk to avoid problems with sway bar mounting, I have never done this conversion but I read it in an article some where

Ghoste

I think what John is trying to say is that the drum spindles had one version that was used on both sides of the car.  The discs had two different spindles that were installed as a left and a right but NOT that you couldn't put a left on the right and vice versa. 
What he was really trying to indicate was that because drums are the same on both sides, a pair will look exactly the same, whereas if you see a pair of spindles laying out at a swap meet and they are both different (assymetrical), then you would be looking at a pair of disc ones.
We somehow went from identifying them by sight to the question of interchange.

bull

So technically, if you found two disc brake spindles with the same part number (ie. both for the same side), they would work on opposite sides of the same car.

Ghoste

I don't know.  This whole thread is starting to confuse me.  ???
I think that is what is being said.  It would mean the calipers on side were facing rear and forward on the other wouldn't it?

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2005, 07:38:59 PM
I don't know.   This whole thread is starting to confuse me.   ???
I think that is what is being said.   It would mean the calipers on side were facing rear and forward on the other wouldn't it?

Yea, just messin'

Ghoste