News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Neutral Safety Switch

Started by hemirr, March 01, 2009, 08:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemirr

Having trouble locating the correct two prong neutral safety switch for my 68 Charger.  All I find is the three pin for 69 and up.  Any ideas ?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemirr on March 01, 2009, 08:43:57 AM
Having trouble locating the correct two prong neutral safety switch for my 68 Charger.  All I find is the three pin for 69 and up.  Any ideas ?
I'm new at this but, 69 had a 3 prong switch.  1 wire for neutral,2 wires for backup lamps.  I think 68 is 1 wire for neutral ( and I have a original spare for sale  :icon_smile_big:) and the backup lamps were off the console shifter switch.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

68 doesnt have 2 prongs it has 1 stud with a nut. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 01, 2009, 09:25:44 AM
68 doesnt have 2 prongs it has 1 stud with a nut. :Twocents:
You know the one I have.  But mine is a single pin, not a stud?  Or am I thinking the wrong switch?  The trani switch correct?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

hemirr

ok went and looked at the harness that came of the car and sure enough it was altered to have a two prong switch (from what ,who knows ?)  So after looking at the three spare transmisions I have in my shop, two have three prong and one has a single wire.  So I assume I have to have the single wire?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemirr on March 01, 2009, 09:38:17 AM
ok went and looked at the harness that came of the car and sure enough it was altered to have a two prong switch (from what ,who knows ?)  So after looking at the three spare transmisions I have in my shop, two have three prong and one has a single wire.  So I assume I have to have the single wire?
Yep.  And I thought I had a sale. :brickwall:

hemirr

So now the big question, from the switch does the harness go up and connect to the terminal on the stater relay?  Where can I get an original style harness ?

Charger-Bodie

Wait a minute here!

Is your car a 4 speed or an auto????
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemirr on March 01, 2009, 09:43:10 AM
So now the big question, from the switch does the harness go up and connect to the terminal on the stater relay?  Where can I get an original style harness ?
Not that I like to admit it, but I got mine at Year One.  Get ready for high shipping charges with them.  There are other places that make the harness.
On the 69, yes they go from the switch up the booster side of the fender well, over the booster wire hose clamp, to the starter realy tab and to a v shaped connector on the top bulk harness connector. Got me on 68, but Brian knows that stuff well.

y3chargerrt

Bill Evans has the correct harness.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: y3chargerrt on March 01, 2009, 10:05:50 AM
Bill Evans has the correct harness.
Problem I had with his was he doesn't have the 2 wire connector for the 69, so he gives you the male prongs to stick straight into the bulk head connector.  I wanted the original look, and YO had it.

hemirr

my car is an automatic. Looking at the wire diagram it shows a connection to the starter relay.  I think that since the backup light switch is on the shifter, that is the only hook up, correct?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemirr on March 01, 2009, 10:39:21 AM
my car is an automatic. Looking at the wire diagram it shows a connection to the starter relay.  I think that since the backup light switch is on the shifter, that is the only hook up, correct?

Yes you should have a one pin(stud) neutral saftey switch, that runs to the starter relay......all this switch does is create a ground.

Ghoste

Evans may have have it now, at least I think I saw the correct ones (both 68 and 69) at his booth at a swap meet a month ago.

hemirr

Yep I see it on their web site.  I have the connectors and wire so I think I will just make one up myself, try to save a few dollars.  I really appreciate the help I was a little confused there for a minute.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: hemirr on March 01, 2009, 09:43:10 AM

There is no "harness", it's just a single brown colored wire with a ring connector at the NSS and a spade terminal in a plastic cover at the relay.

The '64-'68 single terminal NSS is hard to find an pricey when found, try Brad's NOS Parts.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Corellian Corvette

Ghoste

Whether you call it a harness or a wire with a connection at either end, Evans still sell one already made up in the correct length with the connection devices attached.

hemirr

Do you still have that neutral switch?  As it turns out the one I had is DOA

Lg369dc

I think I need a new neutral safety switch for my 69 charger with torqueflite automatic. Any recommendations on best place to buy one? It's the three prong plug. Year One?  I've seen some other places mentioned.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Lg369dc on October 06, 2016, 06:24:48 PM
I think I need a new neutral safety switch for my 69 charger with torqueflite automatic. Any recommendations on best place to buy one? It's the three prong plug. Year One?  I've seen some other places mentioned.

harness are available from end to end at several places ( mentioned )

Switch is Standard NS-11... Rockauto has them

Just the plug with pigtail is also available around, from same harness sellers ( already mentioned ) and also they float on ebay easilly... or used to be. Can't recall if Rockauto got them too... usually regular parts shops got them available on pigtail fixing provisions
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html