News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting 1970 Charger to 1969

Started by Random-Hero-, March 11, 2009, 04:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random-Hero-

I've just laid my hands on a 1970 Charger, and I've always preferred the look of the 1969. However I do have to buy new fenders and hood etc. Would I just be able to slap on 1969 front  fenders and a 69 hood, and the 69 grille and bumper should fit? I know the 1970 had the chrome wrap-around grille, and didn't have the chrome front bumper.

Could anyone just let me know things I'd need to do in order to convert them?

And I know that it may hurt the resale value, but im not intending on selling for a long, long time, and I'll be buying the 1970 parts as well for when it comes time for me to sell it, I can get it back to the way it was intended.

This is a great site btw, you all are such a great help from all the other threads I've read!
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega-Cab Laramie
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure
1970 Dodge Charger - current project
1968 Dodge Charger - stored, future project

CornDogsCharger

Yes, everything should bolt up just fine.  You will also need to unbolt and remove the latch support on your '70s radiator support.  The latch for a '69 is fixed to the grille assembly.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

vancamp

how fra are you wanting to convert it? there are several other differences as well.

Ghoste

It doesn't really answer the question, but why not try and sell the 70 and get what you really want?  Not always so easy, trust me I know but the 70 is a fine car in it's own right and might best be enjoyed that way.
You are also looking at differences in the way the headlight doors open and marker lights.  Like Vancamp says, how far do you want to go because when you get into there are actually a lot of differences between the two.

Random-Hero-

Just the major cosmetic differences, IE the grille and the rear tail lights. They're easy to install on their own model year, but I was just wondering if the 1969 Grille/taillights would fit on my 1970 with no major complications.

For the grille would I not need new front fenders and hood? Because the 1970 had the chrome "wrap-around" grille?

Wont the 1969 Grille leave gaps between the 1970 fenders/hood and the grille itself?
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega-Cab Laramie
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure
1970 Dodge Charger - current project
1968 Dodge Charger - stored, future project

Ghoste

Grille, fenders, hood, bumper, front valance, front parking lamps, hood latch tray, headlight cover vacuum pods and associated hoses and the proper headlight switch to operate them.  Basically a whole front clip.

A383Wing

Steering column, dash wiring, and instrument cluster are different also

Ghoste

That's getting away from major cosmetics though, well exterior ones anyway.

Matthan

What does your 1970 Charger Look Like? Post a Pic! Also don't get to attached to a car I would Sell it and Get what you really want. I know a guy who has a 1970 383 4 Speed Car and could get some good money for it because of what it is,but He is scared he won't be able to find the 1969 that he wants. I have bought and sold quite a few Charger uuntil I got the one I wanted but does not mean mine is not for sell. Becasue there is always a better car out there.

Mike DC

The short answer to your front end questions is yes everything swaps to make it look like a '69 without cutting & welding the car all to hell.  But you do have to swap EVERYTHING north of the doors & firewall, not just the outer skin items.  The metal framework for the grille & headlights, the bumper bracket assemblies, all that stuff. 

69*F5*SE

Dude, sell the 70 and by a 69 somewhere.   :slap:   It would be a lot less work even.  :shruggy:

Ghoste

And if it's the 70 in that pic you posted, it looks to be a pretty nice car.  I wouldn't think you'd have much trouble selling it.

Matthan

Hey if it is the car in the Pic you should sell that car and get u what u want Don't take a part something nice to build a 69

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: A383Wing on March 11, 2009, 09:04:51 AM
Steering column, dash wiring, and instrument cluster are different also

Interior panels, buckets, sidemarkers being not lighting on 69 and lighting kind on 70, Vacuum lines to headlight doors. Clear parking lenses instead yellow, tail lights trim, lense depending on if you want to make a perfect 69 clone without reflective area ( however I think lates 69s were with those ) paint the tail lenses edges argent. what else?

Honestly as I always state, with all that job, why don't get the REAL deal ? sell the 70 will give you to get a 69 anytime.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

WingCharger

It has been done. It would almost require a complete '69 Parts car. Basically everything north of the firewall would need swapped. Also, your rear Side-Markers would need welded down to the '69 "Reflector" size since '70 lights are bigger and are real lights. :yesnod: :yesnod: :2thumbs:

Oh, and "Random Hero", where have I heard that. :icon_smile_big:
WE NEED PICS!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Here is a comparison or lights:

Corellian Corvette

Assumiung your car is a basket case, and you need to buy the parts ANYWAY, then the incremental cost would not be bad. I don't think you're asking how to completely turn the 70 into the 69; what I hear you asking is to change out the front end? The tail lights are similar enough as to not warrant messing with them.

However, the fenders/hood are the easy part. It's all the little things (which you can get, but it costs $$)

Having just assembled my 68 it's really not that complicated.

Fenders
Hood
Bumper
Bumper brackets
Inner fender splash shields
Grille surround (the metal frame)
Grille surround to fender bracket (this took me forever to find)
Grille and all related parts (This is big $$ and has a lot of little parts)
Lower valence
Valence lights
Side marker lights
Front end headlight harness and whatever adaptation is necesary to to the 70 electrical
Vacuum switch for the hidden headlights.

Just to set expecation - you're looking at a MINIMUM of $4K just for the PARTS. Fenders and Hood is $1500. The Grille will be
at least $1500. Bumper will be $250. Valance lights are $250. Side marker lights are $100. That's just off the top of my head.

Good luck!

Charger1973

I would build it how you want it... but I think the 70 will grow on you, and it would be much less work in the end.

70-500-SE-EXPORT

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on March 11, 2009, 03:48:25 PM
Assumiung your car is a basket case, and you need to buy the parts ANYWAY, then the incremental cost would not be bad. I don't think you're asking how to completely turn the 70 into the 69; what I hear you asking is to change out the front end? The tail lights are similar enough as to not warrant messing with them.

However, the fenders/hood are the easy part. It's all the little things (which you can get, but it costs $$)

Having just assembled my 68 it's really not that complicated.

Fenders
Hood
Bumper
Bumper brackets
Inner fender splash shields
Grille surround (the metal frame)
Grille surround to fender bracket (this took me forever to find)
Grille and all related parts (This is big $$ and has a lot of little parts)
Lower valence
Valence lights
Side marker lights
Front end headlight harness and whatever adaptation is necesary to to the 70 electrical
Vacuum switch for the hidden headlights.

Just to set expecation - you're looking at a MINIMUM of $4K just for the PARTS. Fenders and Hood is $1500. The Grille will be
at least $1500. Bumper will be $250. Valance lights are $250. Side marker lights are $100. That's just off the top of my head.

Good luck!

I converted a 70 to a 69 and ITS NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE. Also you need these parts:  Vacuum headlight switch gauge cluster, entire dash, wiring, front and rear marker lights, 69 taillight bezels $400. You need to weld up 70 tail panel trim holes. The tail panel upper stainless trim is expensive and hard to find (approx $100 used), pot metal tail panel trim $150. Bumper brackets $250, bumper, $350. You also need the fender splash shields $100, and complete front grille wiring and vacuum hoses $450, as well as the hood turn signals $200. Misc grille parts (vacuum canisters, linkage, brackets) A restored grille is $1500-2250. AMD fenders hood and valance is about $2500 shipped. Then you need turn signals and side markers $400. Then you need to make the Taiwan metal fit well and paint the car. I did all this and in the end it was not worth it. IT WOULD BE EASIER TO BUY ANOTHER CAR. I sold my 70 parts on ebay and only got 1/4 of what I had to pay for the 69 parts. If you have a wrecked basketcase that needs everything than it may be worth it. If the car is complete and painted you are crazy if you hack it up to convert to a 69.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp