News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door jamb splitting

Started by 1968Dodge, March 30, 2009, 01:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968Dodge

Has anyone seen/fixed this before:

When I bought the shell for my '68 Charger the sheet metal was split on the drivers side where the quarter panel makes a 90 degree bend into the door jamb (along the top of the quarter, visible when you open the door). They fixed it when they painted the car, but I just noticed that I cracked the paint in the same spot and there's a small hole starting to form where it had once been split.

What's the best way to fix this? It seems like it would be pretty tough to get behind it and welding would suck because it would heat well into the quarter. Fusor? I guess that's why they make subframe connectors.

-Thanks
'68 Charger R/T. Mild 440, 3.54 Dana.

Drop Top

If its starting to crack it wasnt fixed right the first time. Ever 68-70 Charger has or will crack there. The only right way to fix it is to weld it back up with a tig welder or an old school very small gas torch. The torch is what I usually use but you have to know how to use one. There might be a way to fix the crack to keep it from getting worse. I havent done it but might work. You will need to make a piece of sheat metal into an L shape and fit it into the cracked area. Then glue it into place with 3M's panel bonding adheasive. Let it sit overnight. Then to fix the paint dab paint into the crack. Then color sand and buff the dabed paint after it dries.