News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

denso alternator wiring

Started by Hemidog, April 01, 2009, 03:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

I'm not quite sure how to wire these two wires ( the indicator lamp wire will not be used)
From my Painless wiring there goes a blue wire to the alternator that called "alternator exciter", does this go to the "sense" or "ignition" ? and the other goes to the "batt" position on the starter relay?  :shruggy:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Hemidog

Sorry, that didn't give me the answers I was looking for, and I use a voltmeter.

Nacho? Plum?

Nacho-RT74

I have known about ppl mounting some chebbys alts on Mopars ( very tipical down here ), and I have seen some bulbs mounted in "series" with the alternator. Ppl told me thats an "exciter". Normally is used a sidemarker plug and bulb to make that.

never have studied that really
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Hemidog

Hey Nacho, wikipedia says this: "The wire supplying the field current is often referred to as the "exciter" wire"
Does that make any sense? This is an alternator with a internal volt-regulator.

Hemidog

Searched some more and got my anwers:
-Ignition wire to blue "exciter" wire that usually goes to the voltage regulator.
-Sense wire to starter relay stud.

John_Kunkel

On most GM swaps the sense wire is usually just jumpered over to the battery post on the alternator, also a diode needs to be placed inline on the "exciter" wire, otherwise the engine won't shut off. (feedback through the ignition switch)

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.