News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Performer RPM, Drop Base... Stock Hood.

Started by 1968Dodge, April 10, 2009, 01:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968Dodge

Will a performer RPM, new Edelbrock AVS and a 1 1/4" drop base air cleaner fit under the stock hood of a '68 Charger?
'68 Charger R/T. Mild 440, 3.54 Dana.

kcederwall08

If its the K&N drop base filter, it should work. I'm not exactly sure on the measurements, but I think I have the same setup and am still running the stock hood, its fairly close though.

RECHRGD

Yes.  I've got the dropped base with a 3" K&N filter.  I'm running a Holley D.P. though.  I had to grind down the width of my kickdown linkage a bit to keep it from hitting the bottom of the base.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Charger-Bodie

here is a pic of mine when it had that set-up. ...

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

471_Magnum

Keep an eye on the distance of the choke horn to the inside of the lid. You can really restrict things with a drop base without realizing it.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

FLG

Quote from: 471_Magnum on April 10, 2009, 05:34:55 PM
Keep an eye on the distance of the choke horn to the inside of the lid. You can really restrict things with a drop base without realizing it.

Yep, alot of people use a drop base and get the K&N filtered top.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: FLG on April 10, 2009, 05:47:19 PM
Quote from: 471_Magnum on April 10, 2009, 05:34:55 PM

Yep, alot of people use a drop base and get the K&N filtered top.

I didnt when It was a 440,but I have one I can switch back and forth for my 493.....another thing thats nice about the race carbs is that they dont have a choke horn so you have a little more flow with a drop base.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Purple440

Not sure if you've tried already, but I just tried a drop base on my AVS/RPM combo and it's a no-go.  The base was pushing on my fuel line..sheet.  I swapped back on my demon thinking I'd get a drop base for that this week but it runs like a$$ compared to my AVS. I heard one can get a fitting for the AVS fuel hookup that angles it down...hoping that will work.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Purple440 on May 17, 2009, 09:23:33 PM
Not sure if you've tried already, but I just tried a drop base on my AVS/RPM combo and it's a no-go.  The base was pushing on my fuel line..sheet.  I swapped back on my demon thinking I'd get a drop base for that this week but it runs like a$$ compared to my AVS. I heard one can get a fitting for the AVS fuel hookup that angles it down...hoping that will work.

The fitting that you need is the one for a Hemi dual 4bbl. set-up.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 10, 2009, 03:39:13 PM

What happened?  Why did you take it off? :scratchchin:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 18, 2009, 02:39:51 PM

It has a 493 stroked 440 with a proform 950 now.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 18, 2009, 02:39:51 PM

Brian kept the RPM intake manifold & the same air cleaner assembly..... but upgraded to a much better carb  :icon_smile_cool:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35989.0.html

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Purple440

Hey Brian - my 440 is not stroked like yours so would you still recommend a proform over the 800 AVS?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on May 19, 2009, 11:16:41 PM
Hey Brian - my 440 is not stroked like yours so would you still recommend a proform over the 800 AVS?

If I was looking to upgrade the carb on your engine, Doug....the obvious choice would be a Proform 750 double pumper.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger-Bodie

Absolutely!!  :yesnod:

1970Moparmann

Looks like I'm getting one also..........  I want a smile on my face :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Purple440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 19, 2009, 11:19:06 PM

If I was looking to upgrade the carb on your engine, Doug....the obvious choice would be a Proform 750 double pumper.  ;)

Ron

Ron, you'd recommend a double pumper on a 727 3-speed car?  I put the AVS back on this week after trying the 750 demon again, after fixing the vacuum leaks, and man what a nice difference.  With that demon back on I heard that whistling sound again and hello vacuum leak, as you guys diagnosed about two summers ago.  Maybe the base of the carb is warped or something.  The AVS is running awesome...best carb I've had on this engine so far.

Do people run double pumpers with 727's or just manual trans? 

- Doug

firefighter3931

Sure, no problem running a dp'er with an auto trans....go for it Doug  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

hemirr

68 charger stock hood 440 motor, RPM air Gap intake, edlebrock carb, hood hit top of carb..  Switched to stock intake Holley 4160 carb with 1/2 spacer and hood rubs top of air cleaner.  Be careful !

Purple440

In my '71 Charger the drop base didn't work with the stock hood.  Installed a bulge hood a week ago and it worked with no drop base.  That's a performer RPM intake and an 800 AVS.  It would not work with a drop base on the stock hood.

danmc77

Anybody know if the K&N drop base will make this setup fit under the hood:

Performer RPM
Demon 850
Stock black wrinkle finish filter housing

Right now, with the stock air cleaner on it, it just touches the hood when closed - there's no way I could run it like that.  Will the K&N drop base fit around the 850 Demon w/o issues?

Thanks!!

danmc77

Ok guys, did a little measuring and it looks like a 1.25" drop should work w/ my combo.  The problem is that the only K&N dropped base I can find from Summit is listed as 14" in diameter - the stock base is only 13", while the top black part is 14".  Does anybody happen to have the part number or some insight with this K&N dropped air cleaner base?  Please help.
Thanks!

ray230

I have a similar situation, but a different combination. '68, 383, Torker intake, 750 Holley, stock air cleaner (11" ID, 12.5" OD 2.75" H filter). Everything fits now, but I want to add a .5" spacer to help fuel boil and hot start issues. To do that I will need a dropped base, but I can't find one with the right diameter. Everything is 14". Anyone have a part number?
Thanks

danmc77

Quote from: ray230 on July 23, 2009, 07:52:53 AM
I have a similar situation, but a different combination. '68, 383, Torker intake, 750 Holley, stock air cleaner (11" ID, 12.5" OD 2.75" H filter). Everything fits now, but I want to add a .5" spacer to help fuel boil and hot start issues. To do that I will need a dropped base, but I can't find one with the right diameter. Everything is 14". Anyone have a part number?
Thanks
1hot68 confirmed that the Ford motorsport 13" dropped air cleaner base works - at least with the combo I have.  It's a 1.25 drop (I think), so if you're only looking to add .5", it should work for you too. 

This is where I bought mine - although, I only used the base.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=505&cPath=69&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=march_export#googlebase

ray230

Thanks for the reply and details. Do you have any pics? Also I didn't mention that mine is an automatic. Any issues with linkage clearance?