News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 resto

Started by C500, April 18, 2009, 12:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Nice one C500!
Chrysler Moss green for me!
Looks kinda funky under indoor lights.
You can see it better on the rad support rail piccy. :scratchchin:
500Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Bob T

Good to see the engine reunited, long haul back no doubt. Cant believe its not done yet  :lol:  not that I've done much to mine lately anyway...

Hey mate, Howick Hire under Eastside Tattoo has a mobile engine lifter that I've used a few times, maybe pop up for a look to size it up if you are getting close to putting it in the hole, presume you are going in from the top?
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Bob T

Hmm, Sooo, any progress on Ol Greenie mate?
Maybe I should pop over sometime in the Big Black Dodge with some stogies, cold ones and tall tales from abroad so the young fella can hear what a 440 sounds like  :icon_smile_big:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

C500

Quote from: Bob T on April 27, 2015, 03:59:01 PM
Hmm, Sooo, any progress on Ol Greenie mate?
Maybe I should pop over sometime in the Big Black Dodge with some stogies, cold ones and tall tales from abroad so the young fella can hear what a 440 sounds like  :icon_smile_big:

Now you're talking my lingo! Yes, engine progress indeed  ;D ... body - nada  :rotz: .
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

C500

Just for you Bob... from my thread in the Engine section..........

Bores and pistons have now been measured up. Max gap between pistons and their respective bores was 7 thou. Factory manual allows for up to 13 thou.

Bore 'round' was less. Taper through bores was minimal (can't remember the measurement right now). All pistons were less than 1 thou for 'round' and also for taper along piston. Original pistons will be going back in the holes. Block will be going in for hot dipping next. Crank machining, and some new rings, bearings, springs, cam.... Looking at going with the comp cams 268 cam.

Dunk
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

500Jon

Hi C500.

My 68 R/T had 8 thou of wear in the bores and she ran real sweet!
Not sure how you could run with 15 thousanths of clearance though?
My drag-mate runs that on his ali-block hemi, but only for a few minutes lol...

Keep up the good work!

ITS NOT EASY BEING GREEN... :pity:

5JUK

C500

Quote from: 500Jon on May 05, 2015, 03:39:35 AM
Hi C500.

My 68 R/T had 8 thou of wear in the bores and she ran real sweet!
Not sure how you could run with 15 thousanths of clearance though?
My drag-mate runs that on his ali-block hemi, but only for a few minutes lol...

Keep up the good work!

ITS NOT EASY BEING GREEN... :pity:

5JUK

Thanks Jon.

Not convinced hot dipping (acid) is good for a block though. Any alternative recommendations ?

C500

Engine is nearly done. Short block is assembled, head work done, see here for pics http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,126299.0.html

Body is going in for paint prep mid November.  :paintingpink:

C500

Time for an update... the 500 was sent to the body shop a couple of weeks back, body has been stripped back to bare metal, all the edp coating taken off the quarters, and all steel acid washed. Tail panel and door jams sand blasted. Has been shot in epoxy primer since, pics of that on the way later

C500

qwick68

Looking good, love me them 500s
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

white

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

alfaitalia

Nice sharp body line....like it.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

wingcarenvy

C500

Thanks guys, car is close to paint, went to see it today.

C500

A couple of pictures from today. The doors and trunk lid have been acid dipped. Spot welds on the trunk lid were unpicked, and opened up before dipping, same with the bottom of the doors where a little rust was forming. My body guy has been doing some sharp work. Front guards are coming from AMD, along with a new hood.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

41husk

between AMD the price of paint, primer, and reducer, it don't take long to rack up some big $$$$$$ but she is looking good :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

500Jon

Wonderful Bodyshop pictures there fella!
It never ceases to amaze me, how much work goes into body and paint!!! :2thumbs:
Its a dying art I believe, as modern-day body guys 'wanting to do this work' are getting very thin on the ground...

5J

tan top

:scope:  looking good   :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

C500

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on January 05, 2017, 04:43:23 AM
Very Nice

:2thumbs:

Quote from: 41husk on January 05, 2017, 08:19:09 AM
between AMD the price of paint, primer, and reducer, it don't take long to rack up some big $$$$$$ but she is looking good :cheers:

Aint that the truth! I have a buddy who is an AMD agent, so have got the AMD stuff at wholesale prices  ;D

Quote from: 500Jon on January 08, 2017, 06:15:02 AM
It never ceases to amaze me, how much work goes into body and paint!!! :2thumbs:
Its a dying art I believe, as modern-day body guys 'wanting to do this work' are getting very thin on the ground...

5J

Thanks Jon,you're right about finding someone to do the work. A couple of guys I talked to weren't keen. The guy that did do it works on old cars, and does a sweet job  :coolgleamA:

The painter I'm using is a woman  :2thumbs:

Quote from: tan top on January 08, 2017, 08:17:12 AM
:scope:  looking good   :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :popcrn:

Thanks TT

Charger-Bodie

Awesome progress! Can't wait to see it covered in f8!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 500Jon on January 08, 2017, 06:15:02 AM

5J

The reason why there so few in the trade is because MUCH more money can be made doing something else. :Twocents: I spent my life doing crash work and some restoration to get by. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

C500

Hi gang.... I got the 500 back, now with paint, basecoat clearcoat PPG Deltron. A few shots below...........