News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What Gear Oil do I need to use in my Sure Grip?

Started by kycarnut, April 20, 2009, 10:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kycarnut

Yes I have another silly question  :smilielol: ,that I,m sure has an easy answer, but I believe there are No Stupid Questions ::). I have recently started to rebuild my Sure Grip using a 68 Service Manual and the instructions that came with the kit. So far so good except the service manuels says "In Sure-Grip Differentials, use only the special multi-purpose gear lubricant intended for use in limited-slip differentials." :brickwall: then lists an old part #. I need to know what type and weight oil I should use and if I should add the "Positive Traction" addative? Thanks in advance for any and all Help.
Man Learns by Example JOHN 3:16.
You Only Go Around Once so Make It Count.
Lead, Follow, or Get Out of My Way.

Ghoste

You can use any quality hypoid high pressure gear lubricant but if you have a limited slip (Sure Grip) then you must put in a friction modifier of some sort.  There are several names and nicknames for it but if you ask for a limited slip friction modifier for the rearend, you should get what you need.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

firefighter3931

I use 85/140 with friction modifier from the dealer.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

yup, get it right from the dealer.  Plenty in stock.

Ron, the reason for your choice of visc?  More abuse??
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Quote from: mikepmcs on April 20, 2009, 04:22:11 PM
Ron, the reason for your choice of visc?  More abuse??

The 85/140 is a severe duty lube....made for abuse !  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Dodge Don

The Sure Grip friction modifier can be gotten at your dealership. Wait until you smell it!! If I ever get in a fight with a skunk I'm spraying it with that stuff!!

Ghoste

And after you get everything back in the rearend and all buttoned up, don't forget to go out in a parking lot somewhere and do a bunch of figure 8's to get that modifier worked into the Sure Grip real well.

Dans 68

Quote from: Dodge Don on April 20, 2009, 04:51:13 PM
The Sure Grip friction modifier can be gotten at your dealership. Wait until you smell it!! If I ever get in a fight with a skunk I'm spraying it with that stuff!!

...and it is toxic. Just a heads up.... :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Ghoste

That's pretty much the stock warning for all petrochemical products though.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dodge Don

Quote from: Ghoste on April 20, 2009, 06:15:23 PM
That's pretty much the stock warning for all petrochemical products though.  :icon_smile_wink:

Hey....Dupont wouldn't make it if it wasn't edible  :o

Dans 68

Well, I don't mind getting all messy with my oil changes (motor, that is) but there is something about severely hydrotreated petroleum oil that just does not sit well on my hands....

And I do try to wear gloves if they are handy.... :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Ghoste

I do too anymore.  I didn't for many years so the damage is probably already done but no sense helping it along now that I know better.

AmadeusCharger500

Sorry to repost from something so long ago but this had my answer in it.

Just wanted a little more detail.

My sure grip is a rebuilt detroit rocker. I put the clutches in but did not install  the ring and pinion. The clutches came with an additive. Is it ok to get the 80/90 from local auto store and add the additive, instead of going through a dealership (much farther drive)? If so then brand recommend would be appreciated.

H

randy73

You do not have to use dealer gear oil, I use Valvoline and Ford performance friction modifier.

Chippa

I have used in my newer cars with lim slip diff,Castrol SAF-XA 80w140 here in Oz.....it already has the additive that Ford and Holden want i at the maximum amount think its called Sturaco 7098......was thinking of using it in my Charger as well  :Twocents: