News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

< update 06/07 > front end rebuild '69 Charger: it's back together...

Started by CB, June 14, 2009, 11:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

I've been searching the site and the internet for decent parts info but got confused.
The shop sells different parts so I need to be sure it's the correct name/type/etc

Anyone have a drawing, a picture or scan of the front end assembly for a 69 Charger?

What parts are involved in restoring the steering set up? (so I can pass car inspection)

Thanks guys
CB

update 06/15: I just lifted up the car and checked the complete front end, it is all toast!!  :icon_smile_angry: All the rubers, joints etc are cracked, broke or about to fall apart.

I need a full front end rebuild now.

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Just 6T9 CHGR

Heres all the parts you need (except pitman arm....they are out there but pretty high in price $150+

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Dodge+Cars+RWD+Charger+1969

This is a pic of a 70 front end....same for 69 EXCEPT for sway bar setup
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

CB

so the parts involved with the steering set up are idler arm, 2 outer and 2 inner tie rod ends, 2 adjuster sleeves and center link and pitman arm?  :shruggy:

I suppose I just order the 2 outer tie rod ends, they show too much ware.
Inspection didn't pass the car because the 'steering joints' where worn.

Thanks for the pic and link, Chris.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

CB

pics :eek2:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

b5blue

You can get all Moog parts in a day from any parts supply and not pay shipping, I used Advance Auto and they got it the same day. If you are doing the repair you will need the proper tools to remove and install the bushings ect. Don't panic if it's just tie rods for now you can be done in no time. All you need is a fork or a 15.00 popper The idler arm is easy the only thing really costly is the Pittman arm. You will need a big puller for that. Many places like Auto Zone sell you the tool and let you return it just to help. Remember your gonna love how these repairs improve your car!

CB

yea thanks for the advise. One thing,  I live in Europe and parts are expensive + nobody has the propper tools.
I wonder if I replace the outer tie rods, my car would pass the inspection...
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

b5blue

OH CRAP! Yeah that's an unforeseen complication! Check and see tight the pittman is...really if it's just tie rods for now it won't be hard. (once we get you parts) Is money a big issue?

CB

I have a gift certificate of 300 euro (about $415). That will cover for a basic front end kit. ($370)

Outer tie rods are 25 bucks a pop.

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

b5blue

I just checked Mancini Racing...Super front end kit is 524.95 pittman 119.95 pro tool kit 199.95 don't see idler arm but they run 50.00 that would be darn near everything unless you have a bent strut rod or a rusted adjuster for the LCA. (there's a start for you) Your photo has no strut rod bushings shown if you pull the LCA's you want to change them too. Is that Moog?

CB

I am guessing this is MOOG, yes.
On my other Charger the shop installed the PST super kit. Sold the car afterwards.

I have a buddy who's restoring a 69 Chrysler 300 and he has the rebuild tools if I am right informed...
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

b5blue

You should be good to go check online @ Mancini Racing and you will see listings and photos of the tools, then you can check with what is the same. It's hard to check strut rods on the car for any bend but important that they are straight if you are going in that far (I thought mine were OK but one was bent and it held me up from finishing) also they make off-set upper control arm bushings that can be installed to get more adjustment out of camber if you need it, again hard to tell if you will need but worth telling about if you can check before ordering parts. Good Luck! If it is just steering for now just do tie rods and build up for later, tie rods are EZ!  :2thumbs:

CB

looking at the pics I posted, will they pass the car through inspection after the tie rods replacement???  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Replacing the tie rod ends won't be too bad.

This front end issue is keeping me from participating some of our local cruises and shows :'(

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

FLG

No they will most likely get you for the upper and lower ball joints and other parts.

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

FLG

It hard to say by looking at it..generally bad boot = bad joint.

When the dust boots break it allows dirt, sand, water, and other contaminants into the joint. Also not allowing the grease to stay inside the joint. Thus wearing them out.

Some ive seen with bad boots and its just a little worn but not dangerous, others ive seen are loose and very dangerous.

Mefirst

CB..

I did the same rebuild some 5 years ago.. The front end of my ride was in exactly the same sad shape as on your ride.. I used the MOOG kit, but it was not compleat, sadly for the life of me I cant remember what parts were missing from the kit. I had to order those parts separately.. Also don't ask me about the part # this is to long ago... I bought the parts from Mancini Racing..

The fork and puller you can buy from your local car parts store, its nothing exotic... Other than the fork and puller, you will be able to do the rebuild, with what ever tools you have laying around in your garage.. Its not complicated, but it does suck to do it...

/Tom

b5blue

OK the kit in the photo you have...those are the strut rod bushings on the bottom (I thought they were boots) so other than whats in the photo you need 1-idler arm and a pittman arm "if" yours is sloppy. Both of them you can add later if you get what's shown in the photos and your strut rods are good.  :2thumbs:

CB

@ tom:

so you think rebuilding the front end is what everybody can do in their garage?

@ b5blue

the $370 standard kit contains:
Tie Rod End Outer
Ball Joint upper
Ball Joint lower RH
Ball Joint lower LH
CTR Arm Bush. Upper
CTR Arm Bush. Lower
End Link Kit long
Strud Rod Bushings

The cracked bushing you see in centre of the first pic , is it included in the kit?  :scratchchin:

The $645  :eek2: 'deluxe' kit contains
Tie Rod End Outer
Tie Rod End Inner
Adjusting Sleeve
Ball Joint upper
Ball Joint lower RH
Ball Joint lower LH
Idler Arm
Adj. Bolt & Nut Set
CTR Arm Bushing Set
Strud Rod Bushing Set
End Link Kit long
CTR Arm Bumper upper
CTR Arm Bumper lower

Thanks guys!!!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

b5blue

That's just a upper control arm "Bumper". No big deal unless you are going to do some Duke jumps with the car! I do not think you need some of the things in ether kit just now. to fix JUST the STEERING and get you past inspection, inner and outer tie rods-Idler arm-pittman arm..if your one is loose! (have a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth wile you look at the part of the pittman that looks like a tie rod ball and socket, the car in park, motor off, if you grab it with your hand and can't feel the drag link shifting around out of sinc with the pittman wile the wheel is turned it's probably still good. (enough)

CB

Quote from: b5blue on June 15, 2009, 05:28:44 PM
That's just a upper control arm "Bumper". No big deal unless you are going to do some Duke jumps with the car! I do not think you need some of the things in ether kit just now. to fix JUST the STEERING and get you past inspection, inner and outer tie rods-Idler arm-pittman arm..if your one is loose! (have a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth wile you look at the part of the pittman that looks like a tie rod ball and socket, the car in park, motor off, if you grab it with your hand and can't feel the drag link shifting around out of sinc with the pittman wile the wheel is turned it's probably still good. (enough)

:2thumbs: I'll check this things tomorrow.
It's 1am now, gotta go to sleep now, been reading for hours  :icon_smile_blackeye: ;D
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Mefirst

CB :cheers:

You will have no problem rebuilding it yourself. Do one side and use the other side as reference, like I wrote, its not that complicated to do. Only thing that may cause some :brickwall: is to get the parts separated because of rust, dirt, etc.. Some help from a buddy will make the work easier..

/Tom

Just 6T9 CHGR

If you scroll down in the link I provided earlier all the MOOG part #'s you need are there...Im sure they ship to Europe as well...

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Dodge+Cars+RWD+Charger+1969
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

FLG

CB

Damn, not all the parts are in stock...  :brickwall:

backorder
- inner tie rod ends
- tie rod end sleeves
- idler arm

This rebuild's gonna take forever :eek2:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500