News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd generation steering noise

Started by 11thsfgrp, June 14, 2009, 02:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11thsfgrp

I have a heck of a "popping and cracking" in the steering column on my 1973 SE. (column shift) It sounds/feels like it is near the steering wheel. I have changed the bearing that is pressed onto the shaft near the steering wheel but it changes nothing...any suggestions or thoughts? I am at wits end....  :shruggy:

Nacho-RT74

check the couplers on engine bay side
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

rocky61201

I just rebuilt and painted mine.  Lots of internal stuff in there that could be the culprit. Maybe the plates the lock the steering and column shifter when in key off position.  There are springs that hold the mechanism in place.  Maybe one popped out?  Hard to say without hearing the noise.  I'm not about to tell you to disasemble the whole thing and put it back together because its a pain and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.  Your call. 

If it is a loud metal on metal clanking noise, those plates are the only thing I can think of.  There is also an allen bolt directly behind the column shifter that keeps the inner and outer sleeve in place and locks the shifter to the inner tube connected to your shift linkage.  Not sure if sleeve is the right term.  In the steering column there are three major tubes (or sleeves), the outer colabsable (in case of a crash) tube, the one inside that controls the shifting, and the steering shaft itself.  There are bits and pieces keeping the outer two tubes in line and out of conflict with each other.  Maybe one or more of them worked itself loose. 

Good luck.
71 2dr Hardtop, 383/727, just purchased, resto/mod in progress

11thsfgrp

Thanks again..Appreciate the info....