News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone use MSD with a Tic Toc Tach?

Started by Hemidoug, July 04, 2009, 05:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidoug

My tach seems to be reading high....I'm guessing it's because of the MSD 6AL. Anyone else have the same problem? How did you fix it?
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Charger-Bodie

I have MSD 6AL ,Chrysler electronic dist., and a tic toc tac. It works fine. It is a repop tach though. and Im also using a MSD tach adapter. Are you?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Hemidoug

No adapter...just straight off the coil....maybe that is what I need. What is it and how does it get installed?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Hemidoug on July 04, 2009, 05:39:50 PM
No adapter...just straight off the coil....maybe that is what I need. What is it and how does it get installed?

Its a special adapter box from msd. the tach ends up running off your 6AL box.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Hemidoug

Ok...thanks....I guess that is what I need. Does it get wired to the box and then the tach to it? The funny thing is my aftermarket tach worked just fine.....I guess the aftermarket ones are smarter? I just had the factory one rebuilt and would like to use that instead of hanging a tach off my steering colum.

Ghoste

The MSD does work with some of the aftermarket ones, not all but definitely some (Autometer is one that it works with).  But for the Chrysler, and perhaps all, factory tachs you'll need the tach adapter.

Dodge Don

Yeah get the MSD tach adapter. I have the MSD 6AL with Tic-Toc-Tach. The wiring diagrams come with it or from MSDs website.

firefighter3931

Doug, as mentioned above you need the tach adapter....the coil is delivering multiple signals below 3000rpm so that will mess with a factory tach which was designed for a single spark for each firing cycle. The adapter connects to the tach output port on the MSD box....you don't want to connect any tach to the negative coil terminal.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 04, 2009, 10:21:10 PM
Doug, as mentioned above you need the tach adapter....the coil is delivering multiple signals below 3000rpm so that will mess with a factory tach which was designed for a single spark for each firing cycle. The adapter connects to the tach output port on the MSD box....you don't want to connect any tach to the negative coil terminal.

Ron

That's what I thought too.....the tach is wired with the factory wiring harness...I forget which side of the coil it was on....and yes, the aftermarket tach was an Autometer so that explains not needing the adapter before...

tachman

tachman here:
msd will not work with the stewart warner board installed in you tachomter. most electronic ignitions will not because of a resistor bridge sw designed in the circuit. try my new solid state tach board on www. tachman.com/mopar.htm  2 yr warranty and 175.00 to install, another repair service in , i think the state of virginian, charge s 275.00 with a 6 month or no warranty
tachman

Hemidoug

Hey Techman, thanks for chiming in....I had the tach rebuilt just a few months ago and both the clock and board were replaced. I'm not sure which board was used but I'm pretty sure it's an up to date solid state board....I know he sent the old one back. The tach works, it just reads to high (like 50% high)....

danmc77

I'm going to run a Mallory 6A box with a tic toc tach.  However, I just replaced the internals of the tach with updated electronics from RTE.  Do I still need an adapter?  I did buy one, but wondering if I need to install the thing.

Nacho-RT74

As far I know repro tictoctachs doesn't need adapters since they are electronically upgraded like any Autometer unit, but original analogic units aren't able to decode the Multispark signal, need the adapter.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

danmc77

Thanks - yeah, I checked the RTE site and they say it does work with the MSD or Mallory ignition tach signal wire.  Pretty sure I don't need the filter I bought, but I'll know once I get the thing started.

Dreamline

Should I use the 8910 Adapter (white wire trigger) or the 8920 Adapter (magnetic trigger connector) with my factory tach?
Thanks

crj1968

Depends on your distributor type.  White wire is for points- 

the other is for magnetic (mopar electronic) or a unilite type distributor