News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Charger SE Quarter Window Removal.

Started by ZSmithersCharges, August 17, 2009, 03:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSmithersCharges

I was just searching around as I am picking up a 73 SE and would like to get rid of the louvers.  I know its not as simple as that but if someone could give me a detailed explanation to help me sort of figure out whats involved without trying to scare me away because I'm going to do it no matter what just want to know whats involved no BS  :icon_smile_wink:. I don't want or need the windows to be operational I just want them to be uncovered without looking strange.  I just feel like the SE windows mess up the flow of the body like skipping a rock across a calm pond. Anyways thanks in advance and I love the site, I get the feeling I will be asking plenty more questions as I go through the restoration process so bear with me... I can be quite slow at times!

ZSmithersCharges

Ok so I've been reading a bit and think I have most of it figured out... pretty much just clean everything off remove the louvers and fill the seems with filler... that may or may not be simplified but from what I'm reading that's pretty much the gist of it.  Any other input would be welcomed. Thank ya.

Nacho-RT74

has been talked about in the past... try to make a search and will find the thread. but If you ask me... better sell the SE and get a Hardtop/coupe.

is not simply remove and fill. The best is get a Donor parts car to get every bolt and interior trim at once. ALSO need to make body job, cutting the B pillar, enlarging drip rail and make the U cut on top of jam.

with all the job and money required, once again, I advice sell the SE and get a real deal. Will save money and will be too much happier. You can get a non SE easilly with the money you get selling the SE ( if the SE is in nice conditions of course )

yes I know you won't take my BS :P but had to say it ;D. and I'm agree with you "I just feel like the SE windows mess up the flow of the body like skipping a rock across a calm pond"

then another option could it be get rid JUST THE LOUVERS and get the inner and outer frames for opera windows ( M07 option on Fender tag for just 74s ). Not easy, those cars are not that common.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ZSmithersCharges

good of you for trying to talk me out of it however im still not sure haha.  I did see a really nice one on here with the louvers minus the vinyl top and they were filled in to sit flush with the body and that was peeerrrrty.  I think they would be more acceptable if they werent named "opera windows"  :eek2: but I guess ill just keep searching till I find something that strikes me... in the mean time ill keep googling the Drag-u-la while listening to Rob Zombie  :drool5: When it comes down to it though I'll let you guys know what I choose... Im not really too concerned about the looks but it will be fast you can bet your pretty penny on that!

Btw the car is not in what you may call "good condition" its a bit dirty, just the way I like it... so switching up really isnt an option but everythings there its just my call on how to piece it together.

mopar73

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 17, 2009, 08:19:22 AM
has been talked about in the past... try to make a search and will find the thread. but If you ask me... better sell the SE and get a Hardtop/coupe.

is not simply remove and fill. The best is get a Donor parts car to get every bolt and interior trim at once. ALSO need to make body job, cutting the B pillar, enlarging drip rail and make the U cut on top of jam.

with all the job and money required, once again, I advice sell the SE and get a real deal. Will save money and will be too much happier. You can get a non SE easilly with the money you get selling the SE ( if the SE is in nice conditions of course )

yes I know you won't take my BS :P but had to say it ;D. and I'm agree with you "I just feel like the SE windows mess up the flow of the body like skipping a rock across a calm pond"

then another option could it be get rid JUST THE LOUVERS and get the inner and outer frames for opera windows ( M07 option on Fender tag for just 74s ). Not easy, those cars are not that common.
:iagree: :iagree:

ZSmithersCharges

I think ive decided to go with the louvers but no vinyl top and fill the seam to make it flush with the body on the back part of the thing.  But, if that doesnt pan out ill take your advice theres a couple low buck good rollers around here and I already have the inards so i would be all set  :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

well not my taste but better than cut everything LOL. If you ask me SEs are made to carry vinyl top :P
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 18, 2009, 01:24:55 PM
well not my taste but better than cut everything LOL. If you ask me SEs are made to carry vinyl top :P

Lol I sense we have very opposite tastes... vinyl?  :eek2: but to each his own my charger brother  :nana:

Nacho-RT74

LOL... yes, I'm byassed to vinyl tops even on Hardtops :smilielol:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 19, 2009, 11:56:57 PM
LOL... yes, I'm byassed to vinyl tops even on Hardtops :smilielol:

Well if I ever have to go somewhere I know where not to leave my charger  :icon_smile_wink: I'll come back to a vinyl top and fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view! Nah vinyls not so bad but when I got mine someone had already taken it off... plus I dont like the surface rust that I always find under the damn things

Axels73Charger

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on August 17, 2009, 08:40:32 AM
good of you for trying to talk me out of it however im still not sure haha.  I did see a really nice one on here with the louvers minus the vinyl top and they were filled in to sit flush with the body and that was peeerrrrty.  I think they would be more acceptable if they werent named "opera windows"  :eek2: but I guess ill just keep searching till I find something that strikes me... in the mean time ill keep googling the Drag-u-la while listening to Rob Zombie  :drool5: When it comes down to it though I'll let you guys know what I choose... Im not really too concerned about the looks but it will be fast you can bet your pretty penny on that!

Btw the car is not in what you may call "good condition" its a bit dirty, just the way I like it... so switching up really isnt an option but everythings there its just my call on how to piece it together.

Hey where did you see some of them? I'd like to ask um how they did it and made it look nice! I got a back up plan... or first question if I can't get a how to or a good answer.
Done some growing up. Not going to do much on this account tho. Doesnt fit the more mature me.