News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel Sizes - Battling Everyones Dilemma

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, October 30, 2009, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUE68RT4ME

This is great stuff guys!  Love it!    :cheers:  Keep it coming!   :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

GPULLER

Hey blue
Any progress on your car?  Gonna be done for the picnic this summer?

Reed

tan top

Quote from: dodgey68 on January 10, 2010, 09:23:03 PM
i altered the rear tubs myself , got rid of the buldge bit  and front guards i altered the cross support, made a new tight guard huggin one,

thats a good idea  :yesnod:   what about rolling the lip also  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: GPULLER on February 10, 2010, 03:26:29 PM
Hey blue
Any progress on your car?  Gonna be done for the picnic this summer?

Reed

Hey Reed, progress is coming along.  The sheetmetal in the back is finally starting to go back on rather than off.  I hope to have it done for Car Craft but we'll see.  The picnic is in August, right?  I am down in SC for work and it's supposed to last another year but I will plan to be back for those two event, granted I get it finished.   :paintingpink:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

dodgey68

Quote from: tan top on February 10, 2010, 04:05:24 PM
i altered the rear tubs myself , got rid of the buldge bit  and front guards i altered the cross support, made a new tight guard huggin one,

oh yes i did roll both front and rear lips also,,,, :2thumbs:
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

tan top

Quote from: dodgey68 on February 12, 2010, 04:18:17 AM
Quote from: tan top on February 10, 2010, 04:05:24 PM

oh yes i did roll both front and rear lips also,,,, :2thumbs:

guess you would of done :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

twodko

BLUE68RT4ME, I really like the stance of your car. I've been thinking 15x10's in the back and 15x7's in the front also. How did you arrive at your car's stance? Do you have any rubbing issues in the back especially with 2 people in the backseat? Thanks for your work here!

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Lostsheep

I realize that this thread is leaning more for the larger wheels, but I figured info is info. I hope to do a larger wheel before too long, but for now this is what Im running. 15x7's with 3.5in backspacing, 235/60/15's, with a 1in spacer all four corners..

Musicman

For me the real dilemma here seems to be why it is that no one wants to take the time to take their own measurements, or to learn how? The fact that one combination worked well for this guy, does not mean it will work well for the other guy... There are to many variables... even things like tire sizes are not consistent from one manufacture to the next... for instance a 295/50/15 Cooper Cobra is not as wide as a 295/50/15 BFG Radial T/A (see images below)... so if your going to fit either of these tires to your wheel wells and place them exactly where you want them, you are going to have to account for this difference when choosing a backspace for your rim. I have 295/50/15 BGF's on the rear of my car, mounted on 15 X 10 Cragars with a 5" backspace, and they are perfectly centered. If I was going to run a tire like the 295/50/15 Cooper I would have changed that backspace based on my own measurements and the information provided by the tire manufacture. I would have also asked around here first, to see just how wide a particular brand of tire really is on a 10" rim (if available), to help me dial it in.

I know... Party Pooper  :lol:

mauve66

Musicman is right, but this thread does give everyone ideas on different combos though which is still a good thing
even left to right measurements can be different, i'll have to go get mine again with new pics but one side is definitely closer to the wheel lip than the other
i haven't checked my car for squareness but i do know that its never been in a major accident so it should be fairly square still
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Musicman

Quote from: mauve66 on February 20, 2010, 02:32:42 PM
This thread does give everyone ideas on different combos though which is still a good thing

Agreed :cheers:

Quote from: mauve66 on February 20, 2010, 02:32:42 PM
Even left to right measurements can be different

Very common... Mine had a 1/8" difference to be exact :yesnod:

Mass_Mopar

My combo:
17x7 with 235/45/ZR17s Front
18x9.5 with 295/45/ZR18s Rear

Centerline Softtail Wheels
Nitto NT555 Tires
Front 0 offset
Rear 5" Backspacing, they rub on big bumps but I really need to rebuild the stock rear suspension.
In my case 5.25 BS would've been ideal, as I thought 5.5" would rub the leafs.
In the future I'll go wider up front also, an 8" wheel and 255 tires would be perfect I think.
I love the look of Chargers and B-Bodies in general with staggered wheels, particularly 17s front 18s rear. :drool5:
-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

Mass_Mopar

:cheers:
Before I stripped it and sprayed it with flat black epoxy primer
-Nick

71 New Yorker 440/Auto

Mass_Mopar

:yesnod:

BTW - kcederwall08, love the stance and the wheels, great job picking something out of the mainstream, it looks great  :2thumbs:
-Nick

71 New Yorker 440/Auto

Patronus

Quote from: Musicman on February 20, 2010, 09:05:42 AM
For me the real dilemma here seems to be why it is that no one wants to take the time to take their own measurements, or to learn how? The fact that one combination worked well for this guy, does not mean it will work well for the other guy... There are to many variables... even things like tire sizes are not consistent from one manufacture to the next... for instance a 295/50/15 Cooper Cobra is not as wide as a 295/50/15 BFG Radial T/A (see images below)... so if your going to fit either of these tires to your wheel wells and place them exactly where you want them, you are going to have to account for this difference when choosing a backspace for your rim. I have 295/50/15 BGF's on the rear of my car, mounted on 15 X 10 Cragars with a 5" backspace, and they are perfectly centered. If I was going to run a tire like the 295/50/15 Cooper I would have changed that backspace based on my own measurements and the information provided by the tire manufacture. I would have also asked around here first, to see just how wide a particular brand of tire really is on a 10" rim (if available), to help me dial it in.

I know... Party Pooper  :lol:

But what if I want a BFG 295/50/15?... then your info would be priceless....which it is!!

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: twodko on February 12, 2010, 02:50:57 PM
BLUE68RT4ME, I really like the stance of your car. I've been thinking 15x10's in the back and 15x7's in the front also. How did you arrive at your car's stance? Do you have any rubbing issues in the back especially with 2 people in the backseat? Thanks for your work here!

Tom

Hey Tom, so sorry for the delayed response, I haven't been on here much lately.  Glad you like the stance, I'm assuming you're referring to the picture in the garage.  As poor as that picture is, I love the way the car looks ready to jump right out of the garage.   :icon_smile_big:

Honestly, the guy that I bought my car from was engaged to my cousin and he sought the car out for me, basically.  He was trying to help a fellow Charger lover out.  When I bought the car, he gave me the option of running the 15's or the 14's.  The 15's had to be polished but had new tread on them, the 14's were already on the car but the tires were not as new and didn't fill the car out as well.  He had both sets lying in his shop.  He'd just through them on any car he bought until he got the wheels he wanted.  He builds Chargers for a living and turns them around so he get's plenty of wheels to sell after upgrading them.

Anyway, that's how I came to choose them.  It was the little 14's or the big meats on the 15's.  I like the look of the full wheel well and the wide tires in back.  I didn't have any issues with rubbing anywhere.  I DID have air shocks on at the time so I can't say that I'm sure that the look was truly natural regarding the spring stance but I never filled the shocks up much because I didn't want the ride to get rough, nor did I want the rear end WAY up in the air for look and because it's hard on the shock mounts.  However, it wouldn't have mattered how low the shocks were, they never would have rubbed.  My buddy, who's a Chevy nut, had never been up close to a Charger before and he looked at the space I had in the well and couldn't believe it.  His little Chevy II is tubbed and he doesn't have the kind of clearance we do.  He commented on how we could probably run a real slick without any worries.  So, as long as you keep the backspacing right, you should not have to worry about clearance on the lip or inside the lip.

If I can help you any more let me know.  Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread!   :2thumbs:

Mark
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: Lostsheep on February 19, 2010, 10:43:53 PM
I realize that this thread is leaning more for the larger wheels, but I figured info is info. I hope to do a larger wheel before too long, but for now this is what Im running. 15x7's with 3.5in backspacing, 235/60/15's, with a 1in spacer all four corners..

Lostsheep, thanks for your post.  No, this thread is for everyone and any combination!  Don't anyone misunderstand that.  Yes, the larger wheels bring more questions as to fit, but there are more people on here running 14's and 15's either because they want to or have to and it's nice to know what others are running, and how they look.  ALL posts are useful!

By-the-way, I love the pic of your car in the garage.  The thing looks sweet!   :drool5:

Mark
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

dkn1997

Shopping for wheels can get confusing. Within reason, if you find a car who's wheels you like that has the same  as yours , you can save a lot of headache and use the same size...within reason.  There will be some variations as they aren't all made perfectly the same.  Unless the rims you like are really pushing the envelope of fitment, you should be ok.

I'm looking for new wheels and I learned the hard way.  I knew what backspace was, but had no idea that an inch or so would be huge.  I ended up selling a set of wheels for a loss because the backspace was all wrong (the look was wrong too)  When you look for wheels, the different terms get you also.  Offset vs. Backspace.  Here is a pic that may help, plus a chart from a great website I found that actually lists offset vs. backspace for different width wheels.

RECHRGED

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: dkn1997 on February 27, 2010, 03:14:00 PM
Shopping for wheels can get confusing. Within reason, if you find a car who's wheels you like that has the same  as yours , you can save a lot of headache and use the same size...within reason.  There will be some variations as they aren't all made perfectly the same.  Unless the rims you like are really pushing the envelope of fitment, you should be ok.

I'm looking for new wheels and I learned the hard way.  I knew what backspace was, but had no idea that an inch or so would be huge.  I ended up selling a set of wheels for a loss because the backspace was all wrong (the look was wrong too)  When you look for wheels, the different terms get you also.  Offset vs. Backspace.  Here is a pic that may help, plus a chart from a great website I found that actually lists offset vs. backspace for different width wheels.

Awesome post!  Thanks for the great input!  :cheers:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

PatrickPeeters

Very good info, solves headaches indeed.... :2thumbs:
Know need to know what kind a rims.
:scratchchin:

Quote from: dkn1997 on February 27, 2010, 03:14:00 PM

Patrick  :punkrocka:

twodko

This is an issue that has taken a lot of time/money to get right for us. Having just finished our 69's resto it was time for new shoes. The choices/combinations of tires and wheels are endless and frustrating. For us it was either polished TTII's or Wheel Vintiques Mag 500's. Again, it wasn't a simple choice but we went with chrome 8 x 15 Mag 500's with 275/60/15's on the rear and 235/60/15's on the front and they look great..........except IMO the 8's on the front were too wide for the 235's. The 235's contrast well with the 275's and we even tried a pair of 255's on the front which I though were to wide. So I bought a pair of 7 x 15 Mag 500's for the front and its the look I was after. The flip side of this is I had to buy another pair of wheels AND I have a shiny new pair of 8 x 15 Mag 500's I probably won't use. It's a costly error for me especially in this crappy economy but, like many, in certain cases I need to lay eyeballs on something instead of making a choice based on numbers but its cost me $350+. My advice is this thread, look at pictures and other Chargers' setups. Good luck to all.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

PatrickPeeters

Basicly 15 or 16 inch and 7 in front and 8 in the back.
is 9 too much? :scratchchin:
Patrick  :punkrocka:

dkn1997

on a 2nd gen charger, 15" wheels, you can go 10 in the back
RECHRGED

tan top

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 28, 2010, 06:17:08 PM
on a 2nd gen charger, 15" wheels, you can go 10 in the back

yeah i believe a lot have done it !!  15 x 10 wheel with a 5 & a half back space !!  would of thought  that its with the stock width quarter wheel arch lip  , & not the wider ones on the repoped quarters , unless thay are trimed to stock width  :shruggy:

check the link out   :2thumbs:
http://vexer.com/68rt/old_outdated_badly_coded_old_old_old_wheelguide.html

Charger Stuff