News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

The moon landing happened between the time these cars were produced at the factory and the time they were all shipped out to the dealers. If the moon landing really happen that is. :nana:

Homerr

You decide!  Two of the best websites ever - other than DC.com of course!

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

and last men on the moon:
http://apollo17.org/

Maybe some of the same aerodynamic engineers worked on moonshot and Daytonas.

Mopar John

THE B5 DAYTONA RETURNS HOME!
We were notified a couple of weeks ago that the Gilmore Car Museum was ending it's " MID CENTURY PERFORMANCE " display and that the Daytona would be coming home.
The agreement was for a period of up to 2 years. It was on display for 18 month's and seen by thousands of people!
They delivered the Daytona this morning and for the first time both restored wing cars were home together!
I have attached a couple of photos of them here at home.
MJ

held1823

THAT, is a dream garage

p.s. - i'm stealing that last photo to show it off
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on October 03, 2016, 05:48:50 PM
                                                   THE B5 DAYTONA RETURNS HOME!
... first time both restored wing cars were home together!
I have attached a couple of photos of them here at home.
MJ

Nice !!!! One day I'll have the same view.... Looking great John !!!  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dragon Slayer

I want to thank you for the detail you provided, it is extremely helpful seeing correct parts and such for others correcting cars.   Way to much miss information when researching, and the level of detail you go to  providing correct information, along with those who contribute with information they know to be correct (not shooting from the hip) has been very educational.  Thank you, G

Mopar John

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on February 27, 2017, 08:04:00 AM
I want to thank you for the detail you provided, it is extremely helpful seeing correct parts and such for others correcting cars.   Way to much miss information when researching, and the level of detail you go to  providing correct information, along with those who contribute with information they know to be correct (not shooting from the hip) has been very educational.  Thank you, G
I am thrilled that new members are still getting value and knowledge out of our Daytona's journey!
MJ

Mopar John

WRONG WIPER SWITCH !@#$%^&*()!
Every so often I get a call from my friend Tony Malcein who is restoring a very nice Daytona.
He usually asks where I got something or what I used for what?
Because his business travels takes him within a mile of the house he stops by and checks out Daytona details also.
One day when Tony was working on windshield wiper switches he stopped by to check mine out.
He discovered that I had a 1970 style metal rocker switch on mine !%^&*(!
Then he also noticed that I had a 3 speed switch on a 2 speed wiper motor?
All turned out well as Tony had purchased an NOS 2 speed switch to see if he could use the rocker switch on his 3 speed.
That didn't work and Tony sold me his NOS 2 speed switch.
Yesterday I unhooked the battery and crawled under the dash and removed the 3 speed switch.
The funny thing was that the harness connector fit both switches and there were two extra wires to connect the 3 speed switch.
After reading the factory diagram one of the wires is UNUSED with a 2 speed switch.
This morning I finished installing the switch and tested it!
Attached is a picture of the NOS correct 2 speed switch installed!
Thanks Tony!
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on January 26, 2016, 03:45:10 PM
It has been a while since I posted about our B5 Daytona.
It has been on loan to the Gilmore Car Museum enjoying lots of attention.

I have never stopped looking for items that would make the Daytona more correct.
Recently a guy listed some original Goodyear F70 X 14 white line tires for sale on Moparts.
There was one that was made in April of 1969!
I purchased it and now have a full set of tires that were made just before the Daytona.
I have one from February 1969, two from April 1969 and one from May 1969.
I also have one from September 1969 as the spare for now.
I am still on the lookout for one more made before June 1969.
The first picture shows the recent tires date code of JS02P12.
The second picture shows the outside of the tire.
The last picture is a close up of tire tread that's in great shape.

Just saw this -  Any tires where the middle tread is wider than the others??  If so, that's an OEM assy line MoPar tire. 
I found this out many years ago when looking for Goodyear redlines for XX29L9B383272.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemigeno

Quote from: odcics2 on October 10, 2017, 03:41:33 PM

Any tires where the middle tread is wider than the others??  If so, that's an OEM assy line MoPar tire. 

Just making sure I understand what you're saying...

Does the tire in the bottom pic have the wider middle ("B") tread?

odcics2

Yes, "B" is wider than "A".
Assy line redline!
Back in the day, (1990s) I had 20 redlines, most NOS, to come up with 5 correct assy line tires.

Mopar John

I always like these small but IMPORTANT details that pop up!
But, This red line tire width is in a reply for a Daytona that came with F70 X 14 white lines.
So before I crawl under the Daytona with a tape measure do we know if the middle tread width
on white line assembly line tires are wider also? :shruggy:
Thanks! MJ

66FBCharger

The info about the center tread being wider on an assembly line tire is cool. I love learning this stuff!
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on October 11, 2017, 10:51:30 AM
I always like these small but IMPORTANT details that pop up!
But, This red line tire width is in a reply for a Daytona that came with F70 X 14 white lines.
So before I crawl under the Daytona with a tape measure do we know if the middle tread width
on white line assembly line tires are wider also? :shruggy:
Thanks! MJ

No need to climb under the car. It can be seen by the naked eye, no measuring required.

John- I'd suggest finding a known white line that is a spare, still in the trunk of a survivor 1969 B Body. I know about the red line, but can't speak of the white line.   One would think, there is a strong possibility the center tread is wider, but research has to be done!   :cheers:

Davtona

Quote from: hemigeno on October 10, 2017, 03:58:06 PM

Any tires where the middle tread is wider than the others??  If so, that's an OEM assy line MoPar tire.  

Just making sure I understand what you're saying...

Does the tire in the bottom pic have the wider middle ("B") tread?

Hey Geno, I'm guessing those are pics of the tires that went on the Red Daytona? Looks like the right rims.

odcics2

John - I'd compare all the sidewall markings of an original white line with a red line.  Maybe the only difference in the tires is the stripe color, meaning they could have easily come off the same molds.  Remember, they were also making tires to GM and Ford specs.  OEM assy line GM redlines, for example, did not have the wider center tread.  Nor did aftermarket.

Details, details.    :Twocents:

hemigeno

Quote from: Davtona on October 11, 2017, 09:55:14 PM
Hey Geno, I'm guessing those are pics of the tires that went on the Red Daytona? Looks like the right rims.

Yeah, those are the same tires & rims you remember, although they're not normally installed.  The spare isn't shown in that shot (no reason to take it out of the trunk compartment), but it's the same pattern.

6bblgt

I have never stopped looking for items that would make the Daytona more correct.
Recently a guy listed some original Goodyear F70 X 14 white line tires for sale on Moparts.
I purchased it and now have a full set of tires that were made just before the Daytona.

Just saw this -  Any tires where the middle tread is wider than the others??  If so, that's an OEM assy line MoPar tire. 
I found this out many years ago when looking for Goodyear redlines for XX29L9B383272.

AWESOME info!  :2thumbs: is the overall tread width wider?  Anyone have an example other than 1969 model year POLYGLAS "red line"?

odcics2

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 12, 2017, 12:06:42 PM

AWESOME info!  :2thumbs: is the overall tread width wider?  Anyone have an example other than 1969 model year POLYGLAS "red line"?

Yes, the Assy line OEM MoPar Goodyear redline is wider.

Mopar John

Well, I have checked all 11 of my vintage Goodyear F70 X 14 white line Polyglass tires for width.
I have been buying these tires for years now working my way toward a full set of spring of 1969 made tires.
So I have 5 tires from then and all are the same width across the middle as the rest of the pattern.
I hope that this is a red line line only deal!
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on October 14, 2017, 10:53:00 AM
Well, I have checked all 11 of my vintage Goodyear F70 X 14 white line Polyglass tires for width.
I have been buying these tires for years now working my way toward a full set of spring of 1969 made tires.
So I have 5 tires from then and all are the same width across the middle as the rest of the pattern.
I hope that this is a red line line only deal!
MJ

Hope you are correct!   :coolgleamA:
Now, work towards all from the same plant!   :nana:

:cheers:

Mopar John

FINALLY WENT FOR A RIDE!
A while back I stated that the only negative thing that happened during the B5 Daytona's visit to the Gilmore Car Museum was a dead battery.
So each time I wanted to start the Daytona I had to remove the other restoration battery out of the Superbird.
So after getting the 2 speed wiper switch installed I went out and bought a good high cranking amp group 27 battery.
I don't know if it was age or off and on usage but the new battery cranked over the Daytona way better than the old one and started right up!
I drove it around in the driveway and checked everything out or so I thought and went for a ride to the near by Purdue northwest campus.
Those college kids always enjoy the old wing cars!
All went well till the return trip and when I went to turn into my driveway my turn signal didn't work !@#$%^&*(!
I am glad no one was right behind me.
I pulled the parking lamp and changed the bulb. That didn't fix it?
I then got my tester and worked my way all the way back to the firewall connector with no power?
I then moved the connector around a bit and regained power! GREAT!
Then I worked my way back to the park lamp and all was good so I put the original bulb back in.
So when I say I checked everything out before I went for a road trip I have now added an electrical check to my list!
If you go back to page 26 from July 19 of 2010 you will see that the Daytona had 24,016 miles on it when it was restored.
This little road trip has pushed the odometer to just over 24,100 miles!
MJ

Aero426

Would this be the longest drive it has taken in the last 40 years?   

held1823

If you go back to page 26 from July 19 of 2010 you will see that the Daytona had 24,016 miles on it when it was restored.

it's worn out now, so let's get her parted out.

some people might not even need to repaint anything
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

Quote from: held1823 on October 20, 2017, 01:22:48 PM

it's worn out now, so let's get her parted out.

some people might not even need to repaint anything

Sign me up for the "A" pillar trim!   :2thumbs:
:cheers: