News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Project '69 Resto Thread - Uh-Ohh... 10-18-14

Started by bill440rt, December 11, 2009, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: bill440rt on March 10, 2010, 11:27:28 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 10, 2010, 03:26:36 AM
Sooooo...what was it?

My stupidity.   :shortbus:  :D

I was only tapping into one side of the unused ballast resistor wiring for a 12v switched source. I needed to tap into both sides of the ballast wiring to complete the circuit. $0.50 cents worth of wiring, crimps, and heat shrink to make a simple mini Y-harness is all it took.  :brickwall:   
Anyone need any glass sorted? I'm good at that.   :brickwall:  :D

Yep, the brown and blue wires need to be connected to the small red trigger wire for proper MSD operation. One wire provides power in the start position, the other wire maintains power in the run position. It's a common mistake Bill, done it my self the first time I installed the MSD  ;)

Bet you won't make that mistake again  :icon_smile_big:

Looking forward to some vid clips of that new 440 up-n-runnin  :coolgleamA:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bill440rt

Definitely won't make that mistake again, Ron.  :lol:

Well, after 5 long years, hard work has finally paid off. Project '69 came to life today!!  :woohoo:  :ricky:
It finally runs!!! Took a while to wipe the smile off my face.
First crank got some gas to the carbs, second try it wanted to kick over. Barely got the key in the start position on the third try and Va-ROOM!!! Effing awesome. Drove it up & down the driveway a few times just to get some fluids flowing.

No major issues so far. No leaks that I could see, although I found out the hard way my steering box is now leaking out of the input spline shaft where the column goes in. Typical, the only thing I never touched. No biggie, just yet another hurdle.
I also want to drain/flush the coolant now again, as there seems to have been some residual water that was left in the block from the dyno. Other than that, things looked good and sounded awesome!

I'm hoping to get it off to the alignment shop by early next week, & also have the A/C system charged. From there, the sound system will be installed followed by the interior, and some misc final touches.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

tan top

awesome !! feeling when you crank the motor & it fires & the car comes to life  after its been apart for soo long  :dance:  great stuff Bill  :yesnod:  pleased for you !!    need to see video now :icon_smile_wink: :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bill440rt

Quote from: tan top on March 20, 2010, 07:49:28 PM
awesome !! feeling when you crank the motor & it fires & the car comes to life  after its been apart for soo long  :dance:  great stuff Bill  :yesnod:  pleased for you !!    need to see video now :icon_smile_wink: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

Thanks, TT!!!

I have a bunch of vids, I'm trying to figure out how to post them. Any suggestions? :shruggy:   
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

resq302

Congrats on the long awaited day Bill.   :2thumbs: :cheers:   Lime green icee at E-town for ya!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Shakey

bill440rt

Quote from: Shakey on March 23, 2010, 06:31:47 AM

Hiya Bill - car looks fantastic - really cool!   :2thumbs:

Hey, Shakey!!  :wave:
Good to hear from you. Where have you been hiding??

I'll be posting more progress pictures of the car soon.

b5blue

Shakey

Quote from: bill440rt on March 25, 2010, 07:13:37 AM
Quote from: Shakey on March 23, 2010, 06:31:47 AM

Hiya Bill - car looks fantastic - really cool!   :2thumbs:

Hey, Shakey!!  :wave:
Good to hear from you. Where have you been hiding??

I'll be posting more progress pictures of the car soon.

I've been so busy at work for the past year that I haven't had much time to do any dogf**king at the office.  Kids are getting older (6 & 3) so not much time at night either.  All of that combined with the fact that I have not done anything to my car since who knows when, I have no progress to report.

Glad to see the progress you, Curtis, Eldon and some others have made.

Looking forward to more updates from you guys.

aone415

Bill it was great meeting you today... I have to say that the pics you've posted do your car no justice.  I cannot wait to see you out on the road in the coming months.  Keep up the good work :2thumbs:

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

bill440rt

Quote from: aone415 on March 27, 2010, 09:04:44 PM
Bill it was great meeting you today... I have to say that the pics you've posted do your car no justice.  I cannot wait to see you out on the road in the coming months.  Keep up the good work :2thumbs:

Pleasure was all mine, aone415!!  :cheers:  :wave:
Aone415 is a total gentleman, and an asset to our hobby.

Later on today, we got the car all packed up & off to the alignment shop. I have a trusted mechanic I've been a customer of practically since I've been driving. He'll be doing the alignment, A/C charge, & fixing my power steering leak. I'll grab some more shots when the car is up on the lift at his shop.
I got the car outside & grabbed a few shots before pulling it in the trailer. Hats off to fellow member Kevin69RTvert for all his help with this.

b5blue

resq302

:o  Bill, someone stole your rear  bumper!   :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Quote from: resq302 on March 28, 2010, 05:58:42 AM
:o  Bill, someone stole your rear  bumper!   :lol:

Damn, Brian. Nothing gets past you!!  :smilielol:  :D
Rear bumper is sitting here just waitin' to go on. Once I get the car back, I'll install the bumper & put the trunk mostly together so the audio guys can start taking some measurements & making some art renditions of the layout.

Stay tuned....  :popcrn:

Darkman

That is one sweet looking ride. I love those rims. Well done  :2thumbs:
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

bill440rt

Well, got the car back last week from my mechanic. I've been using him almost since I've been driving. 320 Service Center, in Berkeley Heights, NJ. Tommy is a great guy, who is really into older cars & the only one I trust to do work on my cars if it's something I can't do myself.

We got the car off the trailer, & I took it for a quick spin around the block for it's maiden voyage. Awesome!!!  :boogie:
Car is very tight, & the A/C blows ice-cold.
It still has a wicked PS box fluid leak that I have to contend with, & of course the damn fuel sending unit doesn't read worth a crap. Almost 1/2 a tank of gas in there & the gauge only reads just over "E".
Plan for today is to finish the trunk & install the rear bumper. Tomorrow I have an appointment with a local custom stereo installer to lay out the sound system, & he wants to see the finished trunk to see how he will configure the components.
Here are a few undercarriage shots while it was on the alignment rack. Sorry for the bad resolution, photos were scanned.

200MPH

That is awesome work, love the atttention to detail ! :cheers:
Charger

36 Dodge Brothers

Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2

b5blue

tan top

:drool5: thats awesome !!  :drool5:  sublime & black  :drool5:   nice work Bill  , looking forward to seeing more pictures & stuff :yesnod: :drool5:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

vancamp

awesome looking car, really like the hood callouts too. :2thumbs:

jaak

Bill,
your charger looks awesome  :2thumbs: I havent commented much, but have watched this build pretty much since the beginning,  Keep up the great work!!

Jason

Just 6T9 CHGR

Good to see it finally coming all together.....  Will be ready for E-Town correct?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T