News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaky exhaust manifold gaskets.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 12, 2010, 06:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I keep blowing the gasket from the cast Iron manifold to the block.  I used the special type that are 3 soft pieces of aluminum and that to also lasted just one year.  I realize the cast exhaust manifolds are 40 years old, is it possible they warp and I need to pull them and have them machined/planned  down flat and smooth.  Anyone run into this issue and have theirs machined?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BrianShaughnessy

Put a straight edge to it.

Had a friend's GTO manifold's shaved awhile back. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 12, 2010, 07:54:47 AM

Put a straight edge to it.

Had a friend's GTO manifold's shaved awhile back. 

Point being it is common?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

no318

I always have the machine shop surface the manifold and put it on without a gasket.  Has worked well for me.  Make sure that an experienced machinist does it.  It is possible to machine them on an angle and really mess things up.  Hate to ruin some HP manifolds.

Sublime/Sixpack

Did you have exhaust leakage there before you put the gaskets on? Is that why you're using gaskets?
I ask because the factory didn't use gaskets there. I've never used gaskets between the exhaust manifolds and the engine on Mopar big blocks, and never have had leaks there. :shruggy:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Nacho-RT74

:iagree:

I simply use a coat of High temp silicone... I know will burn anyway but still burnt will seal some posible porosity on matched surfaces
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CYACOP

I had the same problem. Mine looked straight with a straight edge, bolted them up without a gasket and they sealed fine.

375instroke

If you have a big file, you can run it on the sealing surface and see what the file touches.  Run it the length of the manifold, so it's touching at least two ports at a time.  It's easiest to see with the manifold still dirty.