News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

drive after using featherfill g2 ???

Started by 1968_Charger, April 02, 2010, 03:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

im planning on painting my car sometime this summer. im gonna be painting it black, so i bought some featherfill g2 in black. i was wondering if i spray that on it would i be able to drive it around like that for a month or so before i paint it. bodywork is all done i just wanted something in black that i could spray on to get the minor imperfections out and make the car a solid color again until i can get it painted. once i get ready to paint it ill scuff the g2 up and paint it.

what do you guys think?

restoman

I wouldn't.
Feather Fill is polyester based and polyester will absorb moisture (it is basically a sprayable filler). Best to block out the polyester now and top coat it with a quality urethane high build.

TylerCharger69

i, myself wouldn't dare drive it at all....unless there was paint....road dirt, grime, and just the everyday elements will take away the "sterility"  (if there is such a word) of the primer of your choosing....and you'll be wet sanding and cleaning and prepping all over again.

FLG

For a month id just wait..your going to contaminate things.

If your dead set on it than spray some of southern polys epoxy on. The stuff is durable and could be used as a top coat...it does not breath like normal primer.

1968_Charger

jaak

Quote from: 1968_Charger on April 02, 2010, 08:52:21 PM
so spray on some black epoxy primer?

Yes. Epoxy isnt uv resistant and will fade.... but is alot more durable that polyester. Polyester will soak up moisture like a sponge. As far as that goes, Urethane primer is also very porous. Epoxy is the only way to go on a car you are gonna drive around

Jason

tricky lugnuts

Agree with the others.

I went through the same issue with my Charger about seven years ago.

Spray some good epoxy primer on it and you'll be good to go. It might fade with time and UV exposure like the others said, but it will keep your filler from soaking up water and rusting the metal underneath and ruining your nice new paint job once you get it done.

Of course, like the others said: If it's only going to be a month before you can paint it, maybe bite the bullet and keep it off the road until it's painted. If you take out, clean the living crap out if, scuff everything, clean everything, before trying to paint it.

1968_Charger

guess ill be buying some epoxy primer.  anybody wanna buy a gallon of featherfill g2?   :2thumbs: