News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CDN72SE's Restoration Thread

Started by CDN72SE, May 26, 2010, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN72SE

Thanks guys, I know I'm not doing any highly skilled work here during the reassembly but I still appreciate the kudos.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

VegasCharger

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

Fonzy

Great work, looks lovely! Will be one hell of a car  :2thumbs:

Bad B-rad

Just read this start to finish, or till current, and what a car, and you have come a LONG way!!!!
Looks great, and you really have one hell of a nice car!!!
Keep up nice work, you have to be SO EXCITED!!!!

CDN72SE

Quote from: Fonzy on February 21, 2018, 10:50:54 AM
Great work, looks lovely! Will be one hell of a car  :2thumbs:

Thanks Fonzy, much appreciated.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: Bad B-rad on February 21, 2018, 01:26:55 PM
Just read this start to finish, or till current, and what a car, and you have come a LONG way!!!!
Looks great, and you really have one hell of a nice car!!!
Keep up nice work, you have to be SO EXCITED!!!!

Thanks B-Rad, been a long journey, almost as bad as trying to re-upload all the pictures, lol.
I am very excited last time I drove it was in my twenties and I'm now in my Fifties.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Installed the Vapour Shield:

Used some RPM on the screws and Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black on the shield.

Also used all the original screws and clips.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Picked up a couple more parts.

Pulled the trigger and bought a repro fuel filler neck, now to do something with the other four I have collected over the years, long, short who knows what i have.

Clips for the ramcharger hoses, already had some black but thought I would go with the more original looking ones.

1972 Charger SE

VegasCharger

Quote from: CDN72SE on March 07, 2018, 01:20:31 PM
Picked up a couple more parts.

Pulled the trigger and bought a repro fuel filler neck, now to do something with the other four I have collected over the years, long, short who knows what i have.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Should be the short version being a '72. 73/74 longer due to the rubber fillers extending the rear bumper more outwards.

CDN72SE

Thanks Vegas, lined it up against my original and it's a match, I guess the other two I have were the one's that people advertise as 71-74 but they are really 73/74.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Juts continuing to do little things, didn't want to spend money replacing the rear axle bumpers so I re-used what I've got.

Here they are after being removed for the first time, full of dirt and partial undercoating:

Soaked the brackets and screws in Evaporust, wiped on some RPM. Used a wire wheel to clean up the bumpers and sprayed a couple of coats of SEM black.

Back on the car:
1972 Charger SE

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

CDN72SE

Thanks Wayne, was just looking at your thread and wanted to remind myself where you got your exhaust, I see it is from ECS. I've never had to purchase a full exhaust system before and it may be worth my while to purchase a system on line instead of towing my car back and forth to the exhaust shop (was looking at Hot Rod Scott's) who is sort of near me.

I know Accurate Exhaust has a system as well, not that my engine is ready to go yet.
1972 Charger SE

birdsandbees

I used ECS as David made me the deal of a lifetime, with me shipping him my original 383 head pipes so they could make a jig to reproduce them. Made me a free set, returned my originals as well, threw in free tail pipes and I had to buy the date coded mufflers at a slight discount. He paid for Fedex shipping down of my parts and I paid shipping back. Absolutely THRILLED with how perfect they are!

That said, I am told that Accurate makes good pipes as well if you don't want or need date code mufflers. I couldn't get a quote out of them in writting. I believe that Moparnation74 used Accurate for his pipes (BUT might have been Gardner for his pipes, ECS for the mufflers. Believe we both got our clamps from Frank Badalson. EDIT.. Justin used Gardner..  

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/ecs-factory-correct-383-magnum-exhaust-for-your-69.145758/
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

CDN72SE

Thank you very much for the info, that's an excellent deal you got there. I'll do some checking around and see what I can come up with.  :2thumbs:

**Update, Tom Barcroft says hello to you. Unfortunately they are not catering to the 71 and up b-body crowd yet, don't have all the specs yet to produce assembly line correct pieces. Thanks for the lead though.
1972 Charger SE

birdsandbees

Quote from: CDN72SE on March 08, 2018, 11:57:22 AM
Thank you very much for the info, that's an excellent deal you got there. I'll do some checking around and see what I can come up with.  :2thumbs:

**Update, Tom Barcroft says hello to you. Unfortunately they are not catering to the 71 and up b-body crowd yet, don't have all the specs yet to produce assembly line correct pieces. Thanks for the lead though.

Do you have your originals to send him??  :icon_smile_big:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

CDN72SE

Ha ha, no and the last exhaust I had on the car was a pieced together mess.
1972 Charger SE

Back N Black

The car looks great, where are you in Ontario? I make 3 or 4 trips a year to Borden. Would love to see you car sometime.  :cheers:

CDN72SE

Hey Back in Black I'm in Oakville, Southern Ontario about an hours drive to the Canadian US border in Niagara Falls. You'd be welcome anytime.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Cleaned up, SEM Black and RPM original screws and repros.

1972 Charger SE

timmycharger

Looking great. I'ts amazing how many liitle tedious things there are when putting it back together.   I'm watching restoration garage hoping to catch a glimpse of your car, do you know if they will show it?

CDN72SE

Yeah it's reminiscent of all those 1/24th scale models I did as a kid.
I signed a waiver giving permission just in case they did show it. I think I will email them at the Guild and see if it is on the show. I know they put together a video for YouTube showing the vinyl top installation but I haven't seen that yet.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Realized my old mirrors did my shiny doors an injustice so I purchased a pair of replacement mirrors from Classic Industries. They look very nice though the stile line on the mirror is not as crisp as the original, it does come with an odd plastic gasket and screws that are not like the originals. Think I will keep my original gasket and mounting screws. Here they are, just noticed the box says E-body.

In case you can't tell the repro is on the left; my original on the right has a bad replacement mirror over top of the original cracked mirror.

Passenger side:
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Also picked up one of these tools to install the lock ring in the fuel tank.

1972 Charger SE