News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Orange 3rd Gens

Started by Cole317, August 04, 2010, 10:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole317

Okay so, i have a 73 charger that i decided to paint orange, but i dont know what orange. Could you guys be some help and post some pics of your orange 3rd gens? Im lookin at factory orange, or orange like the general lee....i want it to be bright, and im gonna have the two black rallye stripes down the side  :icon_smile_big:
thanks guys

Brock Samson

I wanted to paint my third gen. (ok - admittidly a Plymouth) candy tangerine, i thought that would be a great color for bringing out the "Fusalage Design" especially the rounded front fenders and how the roof rolls over the top of the car, but Chargers are more creased and that may not be for you.  :shruggy:  I even had DS440 photoshop a few pics for me,.. but those plans went up in smoke with my unemployment,.. anyhow i think a few various searches using words like bengal - dukes of hazard - pearl -  mettalic - non stock - in quotes and in conjunction with of course the word orange - should reveal some interesting posts...  :icon_smile_wink:
Personally I'm not fond of the so called oranges and reds offered by the factory or most reddish oranges, I personally prefer more yellowish oranges. but that's just me. I'll post a few pics of oranges I do like... one of the best color combos I've ever seen is a light yellow orange with robins' egg blue early '60 style scallops/pin stripping - a color combo seemingly lost in the mists of time...
a bit out of order but the first and third pics are of the same car,.. and the second and fourth pics are of the same color the modern burnt orange on different '68 chargers... but they show how different the color appears under different lighting conditions..

Cole317

Hey first off thanks troy for moving this,
and well youre right, the factory is more reddish, but i saw i think a 71 superbee that was what i think is factory orange and i loved it!  It was alot like that first orange one you posted

Mr.Woolery

This one's a repaint from the 80's.  I don't know the color code, though.  I'll be returning the car to the original gunmetal color as part of the restoration.

-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

JT01

most the later General Lees on the show was 75 corvette flame red thats what color I had mine painted it is a awsome color

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

learical1

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 04, 2010, 10:39:40 AM
I wanted to paint my third gen. (ok - admittidly a Plymouth) candy tangerine, i thought that would be a great color for bringing out the "Fusalage Design" especially the rounded front fenders and how the roof rolls over the top of the car, but Chargers are more creased and that may not be for you.  :shruggy:

If you want to bring out the "Fuchsialage Design" of the 71-74 Charger/Satellite, shouldn't you paint it Fuchsia? :smilielol: :slap:
Bruce

billssuperbird

tricky lugnuts

I'm thinking something like this . . .

Cole317

tricky lugnuts thats it!  would ya mind telling me that color code?  :drool5:

tricky lugnuts

It is nice! Not my car, so I don't know for sure, but check out this site if you're looking for a factory 1971 color, which I think that Super Bee is:

http://www.71superbee.com/ColorCatalog/

My guess is EV2, Hemi Orange.

Had a 1974 Barracuda I painted that color years ago and it looked almost identical.

tricky lugnuts

And check out this 1971 Super Bee:

http://bober.cciflorida.com/Ron_Harris/

It's EV2 and a pretty sweet ride!

Hudson Hornet !

You might want to try Dupont Nascar Orange, code N8189K.

This is a Dupont Fleet type color and the shade is among the brightest oranges out there. Underneath the color Dupont calls for a white sealer, very impressive. You have to see it to believe it! 
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

NHCharger

Quote from: Cole317 on August 04, 2010, 02:46:57 PM
tricky lugnuts thats it!  would ya mind telling me that color code?  :drool5:

Cole, if that is the stock color then yes it is hemi orange, EV2. The same color that my 71 is, which CDN72SE posted a link to.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

tricky lugnuts

NH Charger -

I was looking through the link you posted but didn't see mention of the color code.

Absolutely loving the car you've got there!  :drool5:

Personally, I think the third generation Chargers look better orange than the second generation Chargers!  :angel:

Nacho-RT74

One of the best I have seen IMHO... from UK, and is member around here and 3rd gen charger board:

http://web.mac.com/gadabra/iWeb/WeddingCharger/Welcome.html

http://web.mac.com/gadabra/iWeb/72Charger/Hi.html
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

RallyeMike

The cool thing about EV2 is that is has a load of metallic flake in it,  (i didnt know it either until I had some mixed up!) so it looks different depending on the light, and dynamite in the sunrise/sunset.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1972Rallye

You asked...  :cheers: Here's a bunch (first one is mine):

WM23N1G1

Cole317

hey 1972 rallye are all those v2 hemi orange?  my problem is that we sprayed a chip and it just looks too brown and reddish, i really like the pictures 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10. where as the other ones look that redish brown, especially 3, and 6. 
hey thanks this really helps and a quick reply is appreciated cause i plan on getting the engine compartment painted at 3!!

1972Rallye

Quote from: Cole317 on August 06, 2010, 11:28:37 AM
hey 1972 rallye are all those v2 hemi orange?  my problem is that we sprayed a chip and it just looks too brown and reddish, i really like the pictures 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10. where as the other ones look that redish brown, especially 3, and 6.  
hey thanks this really helps and a quick reply is appreciated cause i plan on getting the engine compartment painted at 3!!

Those are all EV2... the differences in shade are most likely all lighting differences/camera settings, etc.  The color has a life of its own, especially when mixed right.  It really pops in certain lighting and can look red at other times.  Just look at the difference between my signature pic and my avatar pic...  same car, same camera.

Cole317

Alright EV2 it is, as you guys know this is a pretty expensive decision and i thank you all for all the help, aha i really dont know what id do without this site!  and yeah its kinda weird how different this color looks in different shades of light  :P

68RT4ME

Here's mine. It looks one way in the garage and another outside and even that changes depending on what time of day.

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

aussiemuscle

i have a question for those with orange cars, Do you find insects are attracted to it? everytime i wash my car, it's gets covered in insects, they love it

it's a Ford Falcon XR8. color is Octane, a very nice light orange.

gettingstarted

Nope.  They are just attracted to fords. :smilielol: