News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 69 Project (General Lee)

Started by Bobby41909, August 11, 2010, 10:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68coronetGLwannabe

Car looks great!  Keep the pics coming.  :2thumbs:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

rusty lee

:popcrn:  yes more pics thanks for sharing

BIGBLCK11

:2thumbs: Sweet build! Love the GL's too.  Heck, I think it should just be considered as an additional model, introducing the Charger GL.  Watching the DoH back in 5th grade is the reason I started to love Chargers.  You can't beat an orange one with or without the stickers.  Mine happens to be silver, but I plan to add a dixie horn and a confederate flag plate to the front as an homage to the dukes!  Yes, you see a number of GL's on here, since this is Charger Central, but other than an early 80's Autorama, I have never seen one locally on the street.

Bobby41909

Stopped by shop quickly today.  A little progress from last week (waiting on parts) but the front windows are in.  The chrome and stainless came out awesome...Enjoy!

orange383

The last photo reminds me of my GL when I took the decals off (Got bored and fancied a change). It just looks more of a muscle car with just those vectors and orange paint.

Are you going to paint the rad support black? I didn't do mine and could see some orange through the grill so had to do it later on.

WHITE AND RED 69

The car looks great.   :drool5:  what baer brake kit did you use? did you use a later model spindle? I'm looking at brake kits my my 69 and baer doesnt show a front kit on there website.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Bobby41909

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on January 07, 2011, 02:47:49 PM
The car looks great.   :drool5:  what baer brake kit did you use? did you use a later model spindle? I'm looking at brake kits my my 69 and baer doesnt show a front kit on there website.

Its the Bear kit that uses the factory drum spindle.  Part#BAE 4141046  runs around $900

472 R/T SE

Some real attention to detail with this ride.  It looks incredible.   :2thumbs:

May I ask who did your window vent stainless pieces?

You handled the dj character with class, nicely done sir.  He needs to post up some pictures of his ride.  

Bobby41909

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 07, 2011, 11:03:20 PM
Some real attention to detail with this ride.  It looks incredible.   :2thumbs:

May I ask who did your window vent stainless pieces?

You handled the dj character with class, nicely done sir.  He needs to post up some pictures of his ride.  It might sting a little more if you could understand what he's saying.   ;)

Thanks!  two different local guys did the stainless and the chrome.  Absolutely amazing work but "bend over".  If you want their contact info, I'll ask Josh.  I believe he has some lube left over.

As far as DJ, I understand where the comment steams from.  I am building a General Lee...you have to thick skin and understand NOT everyone is going to like it.  I am sure DJ is a great guy.  I think the computer has an evil effect on folks.  They make comments in writing that they wouldn't say in person and not because someone would kick their ass...just that they would think its rude in person.  The funny thing with these cars is you have folks with strong opinions and they don't mind expressing them no matter what they have to say.  Of course I'll respond but it doesn't bother me.  I know the level of attention this car is getting.  I am reminded at the end of every month $$$$. 

Constructive criticism is great and at times helps guys out...I believe most folks in here are GREAT...sometimes they just need to be reminded they don't always have to make a comment, go read another post.

Bobby41909

Quote from: orange383 on January 06, 2011, 02:01:51 PM
The last photo reminds me of my GL when I took the decals off (Got bored and fancied a change). It just looks more of a muscle car with just those vectors and orange paint.

Are you going to paint the rad support black? I didn't do mine and could see some orange through the grill so had to do it later on.

Does look mean...I know the black issue.  Not sure yet.  Kinda like the orange...we'll see when we put the grille in...I might go the same route

Blk04Snake

Quote from: Bobby41909 on January 08, 2011, 01:39:57 AM
As far as DJ, I understand where the comment steams from.  I am building a General Lee...you have to thick skin and understand NOT everyone is going to like it.  I am sure DJ is a great guy.  I think the computer has an evil effect on folks.  They make comments in writing that they wouldn't say in person and not because someone would kick their ass...just that they would think its rude in person.  The funny thing with these cars is you have folks with strong opinions and they don't mind expressing them no matter what they have to say.  Of course I'll respond but it doesn't bother me.  I know the level of attention this car is getting.  I am reminded at the end of every month $$$$. 

Constructive criticism is great and at times helps guys out...I believe most folks in here are GREAT...sometimes they just need to be reminded they don't always have to make a comment, go read another post.

I'll comment for a 2nd time.   This car is turning out absolutely outstanding!  I don't see why anyone would complain about that you're doing to the car at all.  The GL is just stickers.  Myself, I like the General and thats what made me like the 69 Charger to start with, but even if you don't like the GL it's still a 69 Charger, and the decals can be removed in minutes with a heat gun leaving you with an incredible Big Bad Orange monster ;)

skip68

GENERAL LEE's are for guys that need attention.  Low self esteem nerds with no friends.  The guy that gets married to his sister would build one.  The only guy in the world  that would want a General Lee is missing most of his teeth, can't tie his shoes, still has sideburns and counts with his fingers........  That's why I have one.     Nice work going on there.   Don't listen to anybody that is negative.  I love my car and you will love yours and that's all that counts.  Good luck with it.   Chuck.....
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Bobby41909

Quote from: skip68 on January 08, 2011, 02:22:12 PM
GENERAL LEE's are for guys that need attention.  Low self esteem nerds with no friends.  The guy that gets married to his sister would build one.  The only guy in the world  that would want a General Lee is missing most of his teeth, can't tie his shoes, still has sideburns and counts with his fingers........  That's why I have one.     Nice work going on there.   Don't listen to anybody that is negative.  I love my car and you will love yours and that's all that counts.  Good luck with it.   Chuck.....

Great, so I do fit in....HAHA

MoparManJim

Quote from: skip68 on January 08, 2011, 02:22:12 PM
GENERAL LEE's are for guys that need attention.  Low self esteem nerds with no friends.  The guy that gets married to his sister would build one.  The only guy in the world  that would want a General Lee is missing most of his teeth, can't tie his shoes, still has sideburns and counts with his fingers........  That's why I have one. 

:scratchchin: :shruggy: Chuck... man.. I think you done gone off the deep end too many times... and for got to take your meds today also..  :lol: 

skip68

What can I say Jim, I'm plain white trash and proud of it.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: skip68 on January 08, 2011, 02:43:49 PM

YEEEEE HAWWWWWW!!!  U Go Chuck.    :icon_smile_big:

MoparManJim

Quote from: skip68 on January 08, 2011, 02:43:49 PM

... so am I! and here I thought I was just plan weird..  :lol: 

djcarguy

please hold the :slap: or jumping and landing your GENERAL LEE'S on me for 1 minute,please.i did a reply to bobby saying sorry ,i see great workmanship and drive train and money going into his car.i can see a super looking charger coming together and wish him many happy miles and fun..
        sorry again, i am off my med's ,for along time now and the holiday depression may have been part of it,ho ho ho,hoe...
      he did reply with calm and class and would like to see car and talk someday,but iam on west coast.
          i was up all night in back and knee pain ,reading the chop,cut and rebuild ,reaming of that charger build .than i read bobby's gl build and i was not understanding all the go for it replys.i may have been ,yes i was over the top with my opinion.have been a mopar owner for 35 years and iam not a totally bad guy ,unless you ask one of my 2 xxxxxxwifes=or is it witches.

i do own dukes toys and some of the movies and models, sorry.   like the collier&co,hot pursuit movie with the charger as traveler.will go watch it now and ask for forgiveness,lol.
          sorry again and will try harder to control my  :Twocents: worth of replys dj hiding out

skip68

It's all good DJ...  you know what I think is funny ???. I have a GENERAL LEE but you have more Dukes stuff than me.  Hahaha.   We all make mistakes or put our foot in our mouths from time to time so you're just like the rest of us.   I do it every day... Just ask my wife.  LoL.    Chuck

djcarguy

:shruggy: sorry to skip  too.did like your post ,no teeth and the sister wedding is funny and sick at same time,lmao :2thumbs:

Bobby41909

Quote from: djcarguy on January 08, 2011, 07:30:46 PM
please hold the :slap: or jumping and landing your GENERAL LEE'S on me for 1 minute,please.i did a reply to bobby saying sorry ,i see great workmanship and drive train and money going into his car.i can see a super looking charger coming together and wish him many happy miles and fun..
        sorry again, i am off my med's ,for along time now and the holiday depression may have been part of it,ho ho ho,hoe...
      he did reply with calm and class and would like to see car and talk someday,but iam on west coast.
          i was up all night in back and knee pain ,reading the chop,cut and rebuild ,reaming of that charger build .than i read bobby's gl build and i was not understanding all the go for it replys.i may have been ,yes i was over the top with my opinion.have been a mopar owner for 35 years and iam not a totally bad guy ,unless you ask one of my 2 xxxxxxwifes=or is it witches.

i do own dukes toys and some of the movies and models, sorry.   like the collier&co,hot pursuit movie with the charger as traveler.will go watch it now and ask for forgiveness,lol.
          sorry again and will try harder to control my  :Twocents: worth of replys dj hiding out

DJ, you're all good to me...every one of us has good days and bad days.  None of us are perfect.  Thanks for being complimentary of the work.  :cheers: 

jb666

Awww Hell, I was just telling my sister, I MEAN WIFE, that I hoped to see some new pictures.. But it's nothing but jibberish.. Was hardly worth me putting my teeth back in to read.

All right, well, I'm going back to braid my back hair now.. I'm gonna be the best groomed guy at our family reunion today.

Kyle7R

Awesome looking car bud, I just read the whole thread start to finish. Great progress pics, can't wait to see the final product. I am super jealous, one day (hopefully soon, but likely later) I will have my own General Lee.

Bobby41909

Stopped by the shop with the family today.  My son loved the car, infact he cried when I wouldn't let him inside "AL LEE" (as he says it) anymore. 

Heres the reconditioned pedals I got from Sal (member)

Here is the radio.  I got an original thumbwheel redone (all new internals at 120 watts).  Old school looks with updated technology 

Here is the aluminum radiator but I painted black with a repro cap to look as close as possible to original but still get todays cooling performance.

More stuff going in

Interior is going in

Windows and stainless is done

Patronus

looks great! pretty ballsy on the tape selection tho'  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE