News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Problems with Green Bearings?

Started by RECHRGD, August 25, 2010, 11:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

When chasing vibration problems last year, I switched to the green bearings and have had no problems.  In the last couple of issues of Mopar Action they've said some negative stuff about them.  Mainly that they cannot handle sideways forces and should not be used on a street driven car.  I don't plan on road racing the Charger by any means.  But, if a situation arose that made me go through the twisties at a frisky pace I don't want something on the car that would be prone to failure.  Have any of you guys had problems with them?  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Nacho-RT74

the side load issue is something that always have been said on these bearings, not just latelly.

I can't argue something in favor or against that but it seems logical.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

RECHRGD

Yea, it does seem logical.  I know that alot of people here have used them but I don't remember hearing any horror stories.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

b5blue

2 years daily driver, no problems yet, Ford uses them in their trucks I'm told. (I do have factory ones for the first sign of trouble, ready to install!) Member "partsallot318" may still have some Factory NOS sets left, with new adjusters and seals! (Really nice)  :2thumbs:

mikesbbody

No personal experience but, I know Rick (E Booger) from Mopar Action hates them on street cars and he sure knows what he's talking about while I'm open to everyone's advice and experience there are 3 guy's for me who I really listen close to Rick, John K, and Ron  :cheers:

bill440rt

I'm by far a mechanical "engineer", but here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
I have the green bearings installed on all my cars. My '68 gets driven the most, and they've been on there for at least 10 years with no problems. It's strictly a street car, never drag raced, and not something you'd want to autocross with (mostly stock suspension, etc). It has the flange-type green bearings in that car.

I recently switched axles to Moser's in my '69, and had to get the snap-ring style green bearings due to a Wilwood conversion (they are required). Most Mopar vendors I saw at Carlisle never even heard of the snap ring style bearings, and many of them were reputable big-name companies. Go figure.  ::)
The snap-ring style is supposed to be stronger than the regular flange-type. Moser also stated this, that they are a superior design over the flange-type. Rick from MA also states that they are the stronger type in a recent mail reply in this month's issue. A reader wrote in, stating that he's gone thru several sets of Greens in a car that is autocrossed & RACED. Most people will tell you to avoid them in RACING applications, unless it's straight-line (aka drag) racing.
Rick also mentioned that the Ford green bearings are able to withstand side bearing loads on both ends of the bearing. So, the article sidebar shows how he modified an 8-3/4" axle housing by welding on Ford ends so he could use axles with the Ford greens. Pick up this month's issue, a good read.

Having said that, based on my personal experience alone (which is just a HOBBYIST), they have proven worthy to me in a regular, street driven car.
To each his own.

Anyone else here using Green's?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

Quote from: mikesbbody on August 25, 2010, 06:45:54 PM
No personal experience but, I know Rick (E Booger) from Mopar Action hates them on street cars and he sure knows what he's talking about while I'm open to everyone's advice and experience there are 3 guy's for me who I really listen close to Rick, John K, and Ron  :cheers:
I read that, bought factory style (in a panic) returned to Chuck at CJ's who put the greens in, he said: "Never had anyone's fail that I installed, just wait for trouble first." I'm still waiting and checking, no issues on a car that gets used all the time. Could be ones failing are stressed improper during install? Not fully seated, axle tubes tweaked? I never understood how I was to lube factory style proper? A good thing (the only good thing) about having/driving my car with interior stripped out, no carpets, door panels, padding just seats and dash, is I hear and feel everything. I heard a rear W B lightly growl and found light galling on one race that Chuck didn't even notice till I showed it to him after the swap. (I always get failed parts back for me to examine) 

RECHRGD

Thanks for all the replies guys!  Based upon what I'm hearing here I will not panic and go change them out.  I will however, keep a sharp ear out for any sign of trouble.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Brock Samson

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

Mike DC

It all depends on your definition of streetable and how you habitally drive it. 

I think the green bearings are definitely weaker in side-loads than the standard item.  But whether or not you actually break them over the difference depends on how the car gets used.  The greens are driveable but they probably wouldn't make it past the factory's all purpose idiot-proofing standards.   

RECHRGD

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 26, 2010, 03:30:27 PM

It all depends on your definition of streetable and how you habitally drive it. 

I think the green bearings are definitely weaker in side-loads than the standard item.  But whether or not you actually break them over the difference depends on how the car gets used.  The greens are driveable but they probably wouldn't make it past the factory's all purpose idiot-proofing standards.   

I'm pretty easy on the car on the street and highway.  The only racing it sees is in a straight line a 1/4 mile at at time. ;D  I think I'll be fine.  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

c00nhunterjoe

i have the snap ring style in my car and i punish it everytime i drive it.  most if not all production cars use that style bearing nowadays. you dont see the tapered bearings until you get into larger trucks.

flyinlow

Had mine in for two years/ over 10000 miles , no problems. When I put the rears disks on last spring I had the axles out and the bearing felt as smooth and snug as new.

Belgium R/T -68

Always used them on my cars, never had any issues. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 28, 2010, 04:36:44 AM
Always used them on my cars, never had any issues. :2thumbs:

Per

I have had one problem where the axle slid right out of the bearing. My thoughs on it were that something was up with the axle,so I got new mosers with new greenies. Ive had them on many cars ,and that is the only deal Ive had and it could have done the same thing with a factory style one.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

c00nhunterjoe

holy crap, talk about a mirror finish!

Nacho-RT74

thta T shirt is not to work on it Buddy! :P
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 28, 2010, 02:07:31 PM
thta T shirt is not to work on it Buddy! :P

It definitely was not a scheduled repair.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74