News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Gauges, Old Gauge Cluster and Wiring Harness...Thoughts

Started by yellocharge68, August 29, 2010, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellocharge68

This is my planned selection, I would appreciate any advice or directions by one of you who has done this and/or is knowledgeable in the electrical field.

I have a spare Rally Gauge set up that was partially dismantled when I got it for free...

What I am thinking of doing is purchasing the Ron Francis wiring set up model xp-68 to rewire the dash ( mine is seriously spaghettied and spliced to the max by a previous owner)

I then want to place the following Auto Meter Gauges in the original Rally Gauge Pods

Autometer Cobalt  : Speedo..........part Number 6288                 Tach.............part Number 6297
                               Fuel Gauge.....Part Number 6114                  Oil Pressure ...Part Number 6153
                               Voltage Reg....Part Number 6191                  Water Temp...Part Number 6155
I have most of the money together for this, and would appreciate any advice, I have looked at several of the other threads on this, and seen some of these done very similar with other aftermarket gauges that turned out very nicely. Thanks !!!! 

Sunfire Yellow 1968 Dodge Charger 383/727 auto-console

yellocharge68

as a follow up, on the original dash face, do you paint it, and touch up the chrome trim, or just paint it black, then paint the silver/chrome as you see fit.... and suggestions ? Thanks.... still welcoming any advice regarding the wiring ahrness selection and hooking up the gauges.... Thanks !!!!!

TexasStroker

I've been wondering the same thing about the harness end of things.  I have seen a thread or two with some great shots of the cluster being tailored to the individual and the various lines of gauges installed, but never much information on the wiring end.  I believe the "aftermarket gauges in stock cluster" thread's first detailed poster mentioned the Ron Francis kit, but I don't recall seeing details on the install specific to the harness etc.

I'm hoping to get this under way, main hold up is finding a cluster.  Mainly just need the bezel as I will build the support structure, but it is hard to find a lone bezel round these parts.

If nothing else keep me posted...you'll either pave the way for my mistake free project, or showcase the perfect way to do it  ;D :lol:

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

yellocharge68

Will do....I have a couple extra checks coming in for some side jobs i worked, and will probably try and buy all of the gauges and wires at the same time, in hopes of a DISCOUNT... We will see
Amarillo huh..... My folks are from that area, and I was hatched in BORGER....Small world !!!

TexasStroker

Nice, where are you at now?  If you are in the area, or can plan a trip, come see your folks the 3rd weekend of October.  We will be having our 2nd Annual Chryslers in the Canyon...it is an awesome event we have in Palo Duro Canyon.  I've been trying to tell folks on here I can make it Chargers in the Canyon pretty easily  :icon_smile_cool:

We have lots of Chargers in the area and I guarantee you'd have a good time.

I'm fixing to spring for my tach right now.  Autometer's rebate goes off today (8/31/10), but I found that I save more just going with the new promo thru Summit Bucks ($50 vs $40, and I don't have to mail anything in to autometer)...You might keep that in mind if you were popping for a high end 5" tach etc, you can get up to $100 off on those, but again the offer ends today.

A guy in Pampa did a custom cluster a few years ago in his 68, but he did not use the stock rallye bezel.  I'll try and find pics of it somewhere.  Not sure what he did for the wiring, but I'll investigate that as well.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

yellocharge68

There are some awesome threads of folks on here doing the Aftermarket Gauges in the original pods.... I am so very envious..!!!  If I can get my repairs done, I may try that, if not I will do everything I can to be there next year.... I have been to Palo Duro a few times.... I bet its awesome... I have family in Stinnett and Borger maybe I can use the excuse that I'm stretching the legs on the Charger and doing a "Family Reunion"....

Hey, I tinkered with the old dash tonight with some Testors paint, and it looked okay, I may try the Silver Touch up to see what the results are for the "Chromed" look... ;) :laugh:

By the way, I am in Murphy, Texas.... Dad's in Pasadena, Mom passed in 2000.....

You know her Hedley and Lela Lake are..? That's where most of My dad's family is from...

By the way, I hear there is a pretty good Machine Shop in or around Amarillo that builds Mopars.... Know anything about it..?

TexasStroker

Yep, you'd have a good time bringing the Charger down to the canyon...

Know right where Hedley and Lela Lake are.  We have quite a few members stretched out around Borger, Fritch, and Stinnett (hence the Amarillo "Area" Mopars!).

You'd probably be talking about D&L Automotive Machine.  They are located in Canyon (15 miles south of Amarillo).  They built the 408 for my Duster and I'm hoping to start on the 493 later this year.  They can do anything from a blueprint rebuild, something a little hopped up, to an all out world beater.  If you ever need prices etc just let me know.  Their number is 806-655-5588.  Just tell them that Lance sent you  :icon_smile_cool:  If you are ever in the area, even without the Charger, let me know and we'll bring some cars out and I can get you down to check out D&L's facilites etc.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Last night was cruise night and Whumpity (the guy who built his own cluster and stocked it with AutoMeters was in attendance).  I asked what he did for the wiring harness end of things and he said that he went to the wrecking yard and found one of those huge plugs and just went in and soldered all the connections.  Not the answer I was hoping for, but he has been running that set-up for probably 3-4 years without issue.

He came in a 63 so I didn't get pics of the 68 dash...I have them somewhere, it'll just take awhile to find.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

yellocharge68

Well,
     If you got pics I would love to see them... Not sure if that is the solution I was looking for, but that is encouraging !!!! It looks like I am at least a few weeks to a month away from the purchase, and will do some more research and see if I can get this all squared away before the big purchase...
By the way I just ordered the Autometer catalog for 2010 and they are offering a closk in the same scheme, just trying to see what direction I wanna go with this and how far I can stretch the  "mad money" !!!!!

TexasStroker

No one that has been there wants to share how they handled the wiring end of things?

I pulled my cluster the other night and started dismantling it, but that is about as far as I got.  Might get some time on it tonight.

Like yellowcharge68 I would like to hear from someone that has done the swap.

I really prefer to learn from other people's experience than make my own mistakes.  If it helps ease any purist's worries I will be restoring the stock cluster and building one from scratch for the autometer project.  I'll even throw in a comprehensive write-up citing everyone who helped.

I hope to investigate the stock wiring.  I have the classic tri-cluster under the ash tray so I'm not sure if that was a crafty splice job or they pulled the stock leads down etc.  I'll have to investigate all that and determine what was when where and why.  See why we are looking for info from someone that has already done the swap  :lol:

Thanks in advance to anyone that chimes in on the topic!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Rolling_Thunder

Ron Francis wiring wouldn't be my first choice for that project...     but that's just me...    you'd be better off with painless -      :2thumbs:

what specific questions do you have for the wiring ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

yellocharge68

Thunder,
      Just looking for an opinion and guidance in direction to go. I am looking at the Painless site now, and it looks/sounds very good. I understand your opinion on Ron Francis, not married to it, just thought it sounded like it was complete and straight forward. Looking at the painless site again, does this mean the PINLESS p/n 10127 would allow me to essentially pull all of the original wiring and install the Painless system that should be all of the wiring I need. Do you know if the gauges I am thinking of replacing the originals with would be compatible ? would the essentially just direct wire/hook up o the Auto meter gauges and the sending units...? I am obviously a novice at this, and have some reservations in taking on the Electrical System all by myself..... I appreciate the opinion and encouragement.... Let me know what you think... and if you agree..?

Rolling_Thunder

all the auto meter gauges I know of either use a 1/4" female push on connector or comes with its own harness plug that you splice onto.   You can honestly use ANY wiring harness to accomplish what you want to do. - I used a universal painless harness for my Charger and it works just fine -  the mini-fuse blocks are easier to mount in the car and are worth looking into...        wiring is not that difficult - just time consuming to get right ---   as long as you understand the basic laws of electricity you'll be fine.    :2thumbs:

TexasStroker

So you went with their complete harness not just an upgraded aftermarket gauge harness?  Does their plate do a nice job of replacing and sealing the bulkhead?  I'm torn between making what I've got work and just putting in all new wires. Things honestly don't look as bad as I had thought with the exception of a "who would do that" splice or two.

What I had wondered is about the folks who said they had made a "plug-and-play" set-up where they could swap between the modded cluster with aftermarket gauges and the stock cluster.  Where did you get the plugs to make this happen?  I am very interested in that route.

Idk if it is just because the oil, water, and amp gauge are below the dash in a tasty 70s/80s add-on or what, but all I really see is the plugs for the switches (headlight, wiper, washer, dimmer (brightness, not the footswitch)) and then the pin connector for the circuit board, and sockets for cluster lighting and turn signal indicators.  Am I missing something? 

I need to track down my wiring diagram and investigate it to determine how things were and maybe it'll make sense to me how folks can get the "plug-and-play" down between new and old.

I also wonder if any of you have replaced the thumbwheel dimmer switch?  Mine basically makes full contact and a shade past there then looses connectivity.  I know the thread from Mike detailed potential fixes, but I have to wonder if there isnt' something more modern that would swap in and give full function here?  I saw a few clusters where guys custom cut a backing and looked to have ditched the stock rocker switches and thumbwheels (or they were just not in the pics).

I have a nice little project going where I may be able to help folks doing this swap out and save OE clusters from being "trimmed."  I won't say much till I have the prototype and it works though.   :lol:

Thanks for the insight Rolling_Thunder.  I don't know if yellowcharge has gotten to it yet, but I'd bet his wheel acts about the same as mine.  For those of us that go this route with the retro-fitted gauges, it only makes sense to find an improvement for the panel lighting switch.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Rolling_Thunder

I bypassed my dimmer switch - i never used the damn thing so why have it in there...    just another switch that gets a load on it for no reason....   

Making a harness that splices between stock harness and aftermarket gauges wouldn't be rocket science.  It is entirely possible and easy to do...       :2thumbs:

TexasStroker

Of course I've seen the thread, I look at it daily on the lunch break  :lol:  That's kind of sad when you see it typed out...

Wiring the aftermarket gauges is easy enough, I was just wondering where everyone that did the "plug-and-play" sourced their power and what they did with all the unused leads etc.

I didn't get to map out the wires tonight, had to get thing set-up to bring the Duster's old 318 home.  I should get to advance on the custom bezel tomorrow though!  Pretty excited to see what comes of the idea.

Bypass the dimmer switch...so simple, yet so brilliant!  I might follow your lead on that one.

I guess I will hope to get the bezel by the weekend and see how I can work things out.  I'll be short the Oil Pressure and Water Temp. gauges (as well as Tach and Speedo) as I debate going full electric for the matching short sweep or stick with my mechanical tendencies and mix the sweeps.  Really wish there was a bigger selection there.  Virtually every cluster I have seen, and what yellowcharge68 spec'd out have all been matching sweep, be they full or short.  Stuff like that bothers me, yet I prefer mechanical...maybe I'll be the black sheep and mix the two.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

My "special" bezel is on a 2 week hold-up...Guess I'll wait for the gauge faces to restore the cluster and prob put it back in.  I've got some shows I planned to attend.  That makes the custom cluster more enjoyable as opposed to being on a time-line anyway.  I'll be working on the layout and wiring while I wait for things to re-align with the bezel.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

yellocharge68

OKAY,
     I am about to to purchase the dash harness from year one....

1. does it include all the parts/connectors I need for the fire wall too. Seems the uy before me used silicone on everything,and the black plastic  block in the firewall is covered/gooped. Anyone know if this included in the order of the wiring harness ....?  The part number i am looking at buying at year one is  #hu269b.... I think its the correct one for my car.... Please advise... Next big step after this is the Gauges, but thats at least two or three weeks away..... Car isnt running again, I believe a short or something in the elctrical as the battery is dead, been replaced, worked about three days and the charging system failed me. Can't even get it to Jump Start right now, so forcing my hand to get the electrical wiring replaced now....

All you gurus..... Help, please and any advice is not only appreciated but extremely respected !!!!!  Thank You all in advance !!!!

yellocharge68

While I am slowly assembling all of the wiring to re-wire my car should i go ahead and replace the ballast resistor, and spark plugs, wires and al or should I piece it together a little at a time. I am also still saving up for the Aftermarket gauges from Auto meter.... Anyone have any opinions or suggestions on this stuff.... not quite ready to start the tear down, but  sure am ready to get this over with....:-(...

terrible one

Yeah, the dash harness comes with the bulkhead (the black plastic block) so you will be all good there and you have the right part number, HU269B.

yellocharge68

Excellent,
     Thank You... had a little trouble getting the charger started this afternoon, so i hooked it up to my truck and jump started it.. drove around for an hour or two hopefully that will keep it charged up enough for me to start it tomorrow.....(today...).

I was checking the lights on all of the car, and both of the hood mounter bulbs work, the head light low beams and the high beams... but the high beams sem to be a little suspect. I noticed that the back up lights didn't light up... so another harness I am looking to buy.... looks like a little bi of slowly but surely buyingthem and assempbling the entire replacement, as funds allow !!

Thanks again all of you for the advise, guidance and just verifying the important info for me.... !!!!!!! Thanks !!!

TexasStroker

Before you pop for the harness just check and make sure everything is grounded good...clean up the contacts and check again.  The back-up light harness will probably be the least likely to have been hacked-up (dash) and should have survived better than the engine forward harness.  Then again it isn't too expense if you are replacing all the others, lol.  Worth checking for the time being though.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

bull

I don't have the time to read all the above and search for the one answer that I'm about to give you to your second post so forgive me if it's redundant. The silver portion of the bezels is/was a vacuum plated chrome, not any type of silver paint. If you want it done "right" you'll either need to send your originals off to a place like CV Vacuum Platers or buy new reproduction ones from a place like BE&A.

Also, not sure how much of the gauge cluster you want to restore on your own, and if you've decided to go with aftermarket gauges or not, but there's a member here who has done several nice cluster restorations for members (lincluding me) who also posted a how-to, do-it-yourself guide on this site.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37999.0.html

yellocharge68

Excellent, Thank You. I am still buying harnesses as I have the money, and anticipate that after Christmas I will bu the gauges and then get this all wired up at once. Again Thanks for the info, that will be an awesome fix, if  I can afford that route. :coolgleamA: :o